The New Fiat 500 Abarth (only) Thread | Page 13 | FerrariChat

The New Fiat 500 Abarth (only) Thread

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by dave80gtsi, Apr 29, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Shagghie

Shagghie Rookie

Oct 31, 2013
    Race Trim:
    [​IMG]

City Trim:
    [​IMG]

2. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    actually the Abarth series is dead.

3. trumpet77

trumpet77 Formula 3

Jun 13, 2011
    Great Neck, NY
    Full Name:
    Robert Nixon
    Too bad on the Abarth series, maybe they have some leftover race prepped cars for sale for a dollar?

4. DUB101

DUB101 Karting

Nov 9, 2009
    Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Daniel Dragas
    Just got notice yesterday that my girlfriends 500C has arrived which were going to see it today, which means my Abarth is only a few weeks behind! Can't wait!

5. ftower

ftower Rookie

Sep 27, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I just put the Neuspeed front and rear sway bars on my Abarth and am very happy so far.

6. DUB101

DUB101 Karting

Nov 9, 2009
    Full Name:
    Daniel Dragas
    So my girlfriends 500c showed up, took delivery, 800kms on her brand new car and the check engine light comes on. They inspect, deem it the secondary o2 sensor. Needless to say were both upset. They then say they're getting the same code and have ordered an ECM and was going to be 2 weeks to arrive! I hit the roof...but alas, yelling isn't going to fix the car so they got her a rental and the car is waiting for the part.

Exactly 1 week later (this past Monday) I pick up my Abarth. 200kms into my ownership of it, check engine light comes on...I call my dealer where we both bought (Wellington Motors in Guelph, ON) to express the gravity of the situation and let them know I wasn't near home so I dropped it off at Maranello Fiat in Toronto. They called back a couple hours later to say 'Whoever filled the gas tank didn't tighten the cap and put it on crooked). They authorize filling it back up to re-check and test drive, proved to be fine.

Last night after putting another 60km on, THE ENGINE LIGHT COMES BACK ON!

This was a first brand new car for each of us and needless to say, this has absolutely ruined my experience. $60k on two brand new cars that don't have 1200km on between the two of them and one needs an ECM??

Both Wellington and Maranello have both been helpful and courteous throughout the experience and I understand it's not their fault...but we haven't even made our first payments yet!

Any thoughts or advice? Whats it going to do to the value of the car when the first service record on the first page says 'replaced ECM' and I have yet to go through a full tank on my car and the engine light has been on twice...

7. winston

winston Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    foothills
    Full Name:
    don
    I just installed Neuf rear torsion bar from , Eurocompulsion, yesterday on my 2013 Abarth.
    It makes a tremendous positive difference, no more hopping around at the rear on bumpy roads smoother on highway and grooved pavement too !
    Pirelli Zero Neros have a separation on the sidewall , after 6000 miles, and tread wear is more than 50 %, what tires do you like that will last longer and still give good handling this car enjoys ?

8. duskybird

duskybird F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    29 Electoral Votes
    Full Name:
    Bill B.
  9. ar_es

ar_es Formula 3

Jun 6, 2013
    Rome
    Full Name:
    Ares
  10. Sfiga

Sfiga Karting

Jan 23, 2014
    I use Michelin Pilot Exalto. They're an all-season tire and give so much more grip than the p-zeros it's not funny. Quieter too.

11. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    How has the car been running otherwise?

12. DUB101

DUB101 Karting

Nov 9, 2009
    Full Name:
    Daniel Dragas
    Both cars ran fine, and even with the engine light on it didn't have any driveability issues.

I do genuinely love the car, I've had a few vintage Fiats as well and have been into Italian/European cars since I was a kid working on them in my fathers garage. Now at 29 I finally get into a brand new one of my own and this happens. Just soured my experience, I know it's not the dealers fault and they have both been helpful, I just didn't expect this before my first oil change or car payment!

13. trumpet77

trumpet77 Formula 3

Jun 13, 2011
    Great Neck, NY
    Full Name:
    Robert Nixon
    Sorry to hear about issues with a new car, but it can happen to any brand.

If you can hang in there, and they do a good job of fixing items that are covered by warranty, then hopefully this will be your last issue.

14. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Ok I'm thinking poor quality fuel or a sensor issue. Btw I know of an acquaintance that purchased a MB and the tranny failed less than 800 miles into ownership. It happens to every manufacturer.

15. DUB101

DUB101 Karting

Nov 9, 2009
    Full Name:
    Daniel Dragas
    I know, I was a service advisor for a VW/Audi dealer here in town, put a new transmission in a 12' Passat TDI with 1400kms in it. My car turned out to be a disconnected vacuum line. And I think the dealer filled it with regular (87 octane) which is what it called for. I only run Shell 91 which is what I filled it with after.

16. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Good to hear that the problem was found - was the passat a dsg?

17. DUB101

DUB101 Karting

Nov 9, 2009
    Full Name:
    Daniel Dragas
    Yes the Passat was a DSG, and that was and single case as well. I hadn't seen another one the entire time I was there. Good news is, my little Abarth is running trouble free for the last few tanks so I think the vacuum line was the ultimate culprit. That being said, the girlfriends 500c sits in the dealer awaiting it's new ECM. Once I have the car up and running, I will call Fiat Canada and address it with them. Little stuff is little stuff, but a new ECM at 1000km is just un-acceptable.

18. Fernando250gto

Aug 16, 2009
    #318 Fernando250gto, Jun 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Rags747 likes this.
  19. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Good to hear your car is running well, hope your girlfriend's car is running soon!

20. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    #320 355dreamer, Jul 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I am planning on listing my 2013 Abarth for sale. I love the car, but need the space.

Fully loaded, leather, automatic climate control, 17" wheels, stripe package, beats by Dre.

I've added the Magnetti Marelli engine control module, 500madness cold air intake system, 500madness lowering springs and 500T taillights. All mods were done by Competizione as well as a fresh alignment. The car also has 20% ceramic window tint all around. Lastly, I plastidiped all of the chrome to match the stripes and the wheels.

19k firm. All original parts included.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.

Officially for sale here.

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/other-cars/472227-2013-fiat-abarth-5k-miles.html

22. trumpet77

trumpet77 Formula 3

Jun 13, 2011
    Great Neck, NY
    Full Name:
    Robert Nixon
    The Sports Car Club of America is asking for opinions on moving the new FIAT Abarth from GS to HS for Solo (autocross). This notice is in the newly posted January Fastrack News, so if you as an SCCA member have an opinion on this please submit something to the SCCA Solo Events Board (SEB)

23. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

ScuderiaWithStickPlease F1 World Champ

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buot3rnEEps[/ame]

24. tsltm

tsltm Karting

Nov 10, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    I absolutely love the Abarth and prefect garage mate to my 355. The Abarth in sport mode is wonderfully Italian and raw. Car brings me smiles every day and not to mention great on gas and in the city!

12,000 miles so far with no issues or complaints.

25. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I still have mine though it does not get driven that often (only 3K on it after a year) and I keep making little changes to it to make it a little bit better each time. I still cannot think of anything that is more fun for the money.