The Miata--Its really, really good... | Page 3 | FerrariChat

The Miata--Its really, really good...

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by JoeZaff, Aug 1, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DriveAfterDark

DriveAfterDark F1 Veteran

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    IIRC the McLaren F1 is TINY. I think it's just a fraction larger than a Porsche Boxster, which is just about as small as entry level sportscars get these days!

2. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2BSSy7fxOc&list=PL8F0981B98726601A&index=1&feature=plcp[/ame]

3. desmomini

desmomini F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 18, 2003
    Upstate SC
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    When it snowed, and other drivers would follow me too closely, I used to goose the gas pedal on my '92 Miata to kick out the rear end. It was completely predictable and correctable, as is any great handling car (if you know how to drive on snow), but to those tailgaters, it looked like I'd lost control. They would back waaaaaaaaay off.

My '92 was purchased as a leftover in '93, and was my daily driver in the Philadelphia area (rain, shine, snow, blizzards, ice,) for 5 and a half years. The only concession to the weather was a spare set of steel wheels shod in Bridgestone Blizzaks.

4. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
  5. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    #55 GordonC, Aug 4, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I took my 95 Miata (stock except for Koni shocks) to an winter performance driving school on a frozen lake last winter. With studded winter tires, it was the fastest car there - faster than Mitsu Evos and Subie STis on non-studded winter tires, faster than any other studded tire car. The balance and control was absolutely amazing.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    #56 Valenzo, Aug 4, 2012
  7. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #57 soucorp, Aug 6, 2012
  8. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    LOL very funny!

9. curtisc63

curtisc63 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 13, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Curtis Campbell
    Oh my God! What have we done? I was one of those Fchatters urging Joe to look at the Miata. And now this...!

Like Joe I own a Miata (1999 10th Anniversary Edition) and a Testarossa. Talk about two very different cars on back road twisties! One was born for them and the other will tolerate them for as long as you care to muscle it around. Having driven both a 1997 NA and my 1999 NB (By the way - there was no 1998 Miata offered in the US) my own preference lies in the NB cars. Just a little more refined. I have not driven the NC.

Joe I need to meet up with you at a C&C and go visit some of you local roads.

10. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Curtis,
    You Ba$tard! I have been late for work almost every day! Instead of taking the highway, I have added an extra 20 minutes of backroads! I've cut out of work early and added drives to every off site meeting.

Driving the Testarossa this weekend for the first time in weeks, reminded me of just what a powerful, amazing car she is, but she is definitely a beast you try to control, whereas the Miata is like your favorite jack russell terrier.

As an aside, I owe you a bigger debt of gratitude than almost anyone on F-chat. Your encouragement helped me make the jump to the Testarossa, and your suggestion, along with another f-chatter, paved the way to the Miata. In both instances, with your help I ultimately arrived at what I now consider to be the perfect bookends to automobile enjoyment. To me, the Testarossa is the world's finest and most exciting GT--ever, and the Miata is a sublime back road companion and an exceptionally entertaining daily driver. You really know your stuff...Thank you.

Please come by soon, I would love to spend an afternoon tackling the backroads.

11. curtisc63

curtisc63 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 13, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Curtis Campbell
    No Problem, Joe. I am half looking for another fun car - but I have to sell my 1973 Mach 1 first. I love the TR and Miata as the "bookends" but I want something in the middle as well. I have thought a 911 variant, a viper, a 348/355, etc. But may be leaning towards a last generation RX-7 R1 - the twin turbo canyon carver. The hard part is finding one with low miles and/or one that has not been modified from here to Sunday.

Anyone out there with leads on a clean FD3 (especially in CYM) let me know!

12. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    LOL. You and I need to have lunch one day on rx7 alone!!! I worshipped the rx7 when it was around. There was no purer track/street car in the early 1990s. IIRC, They actually drilled holes in the carpet and shaved the dipstick in 1/2 just to lose weight. An amazing car if there ever was one and an absolute delight to drive.

13. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    Love the Miata as a track and race car - I've had probably 10 of them, all became Spec Miatas or Turbo Miatas. Very, very robust, great to drive, and consumables/repair parts are reasonable. I've run Thunderhill 25 hour several times, always in a Miata, local endurance races in Miatas and many, many sprint races. Tough car, once a cage is in it and I've even been upside down and able to keep racing the car the next day and for years afterward.

Perhaps most amazing is you can run race tires and the 4 qt wet sump works just fine with 7200 rpm shifts every time for hours on end.

Tons of laps at my home track, too, mostly in the turbo variant.

Overall, the Miata is the best track car I have ever owned in terms of performance/price.

My only criticism is the car is underpowered and won't really accept big power easily and still drive well. Past about 230 rwhp it won't run cool on track, and it starts taking complicated and expensive modification to get enough tire, brake and suspension to use big power, too. In other words, don't let Miata love make you think it will run with a Porsche Cup Car for much less money than a Cup Car.

14. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Nice writeup Keith, thanks. Have you ever built a BIG hp Miata strictly for the street?

15. RXMR7

RXMR7 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Marc
    #65 RXMR7, Aug 18, 2012
  16. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    #66 texasmr2, Aug 18, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2012
    Fantastic picture!!!

I aswell love the RX7 but it would be appreciated if we could stay on the Miata topic, pretty please?

17. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Nice save!!!

18. magnus89

magnus89 Rookie

Nov 15, 2008
    San Francisco, CA
    #69 magnus89, Aug 22, 2012
    Finally, a thread on Fchat where I'm able to contribute a post.

This is my 04 Mazdaspeed - for those unfamiliar, it's the turbocharged version that came at the end of the NB line (second generation).

Daily driver, has basic bolt-ons that make it a lot of fun. This car is hard to beat for the price - RWD, 6-speed, turbocharged, lightweight, Japanese reliability for $12k. What's not to like?

19. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I have her about a month now. Its better every day.

I cannot remember the last time I enjoyed a car this much. Don't get me wrong, I love the Ferraris, but the ones I really enjoy were all made over twenty years ago and are more of occasion cars. I couldn't imagine, for example, driving my Testarossa every day. I tried driving my Mondial regularly one week. By day three I was done.

I drive the Miata every day, every minute I can. I have never looked forward to driving to work like I do now. I have mastered every circuitous route from A to B! As for cost of ownership, an oil change is $30.00. I can blow up the engine and transmission and replace it with a new one for less then the cost of a belt service on my Testarossa. As a value proposition, the Miata is the greatest sports car ever made...bar none.

FWIW, I have driven it extensively in the rain. It is so predictable. Instead of focusing on driver aids, Mazda just focused on nailing the chassis. This is a car that tells you exactly what it is going to do and what you need to do in return. It is so liberating. I hate driving sports cars and being babysat by an electronic nanny that tells ME when I've pushed it to far.

Also, every single nonbeliever who has driven my car has walked away grinning and stating emphatically that is "a true enthusiasts car"

This I know... :)

20. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

ScuderiaWithStickPlease F1 World Champ

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro