THE LONG TALE OF THE BARN FIND TRIO"DINO VERSION" | FerrariChat

THE LONG TALE OF THE BARN FIND TRIO"DINO VERSION"

Discussion in '206/246' started by exer69, Aug 1, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. exer69

exer69 Karting

Jul 28, 2011
    #1 exer69, Aug 1, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    That will be cool to see the pix.... and perhaps when you post them up
    you can remember to turn the "caps lock" button off. Makes threads really
    hard to read and seems like you're yelling

:)

Jedi

3. Fave

Fave F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2010
    Tarana
    Full Name:
    L. Ike Hunt
    What's the story behind that?

Buy a car drive it a bit and store it for close to 40 years...

4. Jedi

Jedi Moderator

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Holy crap!! :eek: This is a BARN FIND??? Or are you posting "new" photos first?

Do please tell the story!!!

Jedi

5. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Why all the mystery?

Here, pretty much everyone talks about, "just got such and such, and I got it here or there, and I' m going to do this or that with it", you know, not much of the Dashiell Hammett bit and all of that.

Just a thought.

Of course we all love to see close up and detailed photos of all the bits of an "unmolested DinoDaytonaMerak".

If it belongs to you, and not going to auction, good for you, but if it is...lucky one who gets it!

Regards, Alberto

6. Drew_4RE

Drew_4RE Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 19, 2005
    FL
    Full Name:
    Drew
    Pretty sure thats auto haus los gatos posting...

7. exer69

exer69 Karting

Jul 28, 2011
    . Not meant to upset anyone. More to follow.

8. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Gets my vote for "most confusing thread of all time".

9. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    I would love to see more pictures of this car so we can look at details for the future

Do you have more and clearer pictures?

10. Drew_4RE

Drew_4RE Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 19, 2005
    FL
    Full Name:
    Drew
    Its not upsetting. I don't think most the people here read the other threads where you mentioned you bought and brought these back to life. What steps were in that bringing back to life is what will bring debate, but regardless it would be great to hear about how the cars were found and how you bought them from the owner and I believe you've even sold them already? We're all about the details here...

11. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    In one of the other threads, talk was about the asking price for the package. Clearly, the Dino is being auctioned. What is your expectation for a sale price through Mecum?

12. Jedi

Jedi Moderator

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    You must have missed most of what Bundas has posted.... :eek:

:D:D:D

Jedi

[just messin with ya Mitchell :)]

13. exer69

exer69 Karting

Jul 28, 2011
    Similar to bringing a 36 Buick or Corvette or any early car you have a passion for out of hibernation. Lot easier than doing a service on a Testa Rossa.Don't have to over do it. Just make sure it is ready before it lights up and goes down the road. Nothing special. These were almost new when parked. And they have been sold for weeks. We just are getting them ready for the new owner.

14. Drew_4RE

Drew_4RE Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 19, 2005
    FL
    Full Name:
    Drew
    Well I tried. Never mind, I'm with everyone else. Your posts are annoyingly vague. Seems like hype before an auction. Best of luck.

15. exer69

exer69 Karting

Jul 28, 2011
    #16 exer69, Aug 1, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
    Without being completely rude...We probably have a better handle on what it takes to bring them to life than say,,,,yourself. I see a Testa Rossa,a 348,and a 328 in your photo. All nice cars. Early Ferraris are different. This wasn't posted to get approval. Just thought this find would interest Ferrari Guys.And Gals.

16. Drew_4RE

Drew_4RE Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 19, 2005
    FL
    Full Name:
    Drew
    At no point did I claim to have a better understanding of restoring these cars than you nor did I suggest that I had a better grasp of the proper use of punctuation. One of those proves itself. What I was saying (single comma) was that you have a great opportunity to tell a real story but instead your posts are incredibly vague and based on hype. I'm glad these cars were found and restored, I really am. Best of luck on the sale.

17. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    Thanks for posting, exer69.

For the benefit of those who don't visit the vintage section, there is a threadthere on the barnfind Dino, Daytona, and Maserati. The Dino seemed (and still appears to be, from the photos) unmolested, so I suggested in that thread that it would be great if detail photos could be posted here in the 206/246 section, as a reference guide for ourselves for finishes, stickers, etc. A true barnfind in good condition is rare. Think of how many arguments it will avoid.

So thanks again, exer69. More photos, please.

Andres

18. exer69

exer69 Karting

Jul 28, 2011
    You are right. Did not do well in English---worse in typing--- old Remingtons in my day. I apologize for any disrespect displayed. These cars are not restored. We only replaced parts that go bad from age. The cars were amazing when we got thru the dirt. They stayed dry all those years. After we very carefully went over and replaced the pieces that were necessary and flushed systems and changed fluids,they instantly came to life. The tires are flat spotted from sitting 32 years. But,they are original. The Daytona You Tube ride was done on tires and wheels from a c/4 we have. They were round. These could be the most unmolested examples out there. They were bought new at Chinetti,by one of his investors and friends. He moved out of country years ago and left them behind in the concrete building.We were very lucky to get them. They should be left as they are. We only cleaned them after getting them going. We sold them a while ago,but have gotten them ready for the new lucky owner that is successful at Mecum. They are amazing and complete.

19. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

i think you just did a great job of level setting in the dino forum. thank you!

now let's see more pictures of that bora!!! :)

20. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    do you know the chassis no.

21. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

So did the car sell at auction or is it on the way TO the auction?

I'm a little confused.

If it already sold, then why the mystery style to the posts, if it's going TO auction, then that approach is self evident as a sales pitch.

Just wondering out loud which one it is.

D

22. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    Since Mecum still shows it on their list of Monterey auction cars, I vote for annoying sales pitch in an effort to boost it's auction price.

23. exer69

exer69 Karting

Jul 28, 2011
    #24 exer69, Aug 2, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017