The last 707 video? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

The last 707 video?

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Gatorrari, Jul 4, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Chapped her off on that second roll, apparently. Must not have been a 1 G barrel roll.

2. SamuliS

SamuliS Formula Junior

Aug 23, 2008
    Finland, Helsinki
    Full Name:
    Samuli S

Found this and wanted to share

wrxmike likes this.
  3. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Thanks, that brings back many pleasant memories and some not too pleasant. I was in charge of the systems installation drawings for the struts, engines, and wing on the 707 and there was many hours of overtime spent on the 707B changes. The vertical fin extension and the ventral fin addition were needed for directional control at low speeds if you lost an engine. Eventually full time hydraulic boost was added to the rudder. The leading edge extension and " Muff" were actually taken from the DC-8 to divert airflow from the upper wing surface to below the wing to eliminate a shock wave that formed from the mixing of body flow and wing flow. With this mod the 720B became a true hot rod that could exceed critical Mach in cruise if not monitored The 707 could also.

SamuliS likes this.
  4. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Here's another Saha Air 707 video, apparently just before they ceased passenger operations in 2013. They continued to fly cargo only but after one crashed in 2019 (landing on a too-short runway at the wrong airport), they apparently retired the others and they're sitting dormant at the Tehran airport.

Two things I saw in this video that I didn't know, at least about JT3D-powered aircraft: after touchdown, only the inboard engines had thrust reversers, and when the reversers were activated, all the Krueger flaps on the leading edge retracted (presumably to prevent damage from the reversers) and then extended again when the reversers were shut down. Does that seem right, Bob Parks?

Tcar likes this.
  5. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Vid is not available?

6. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    It works. Just have to watch it on YouTube directly and can't view it embedded on forums.

7. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Select the link "Watch this video on YouTube".

8. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    When I watched this all I could think of was the intense overtime work to get the new drawings out of the fan installation. I also was responsible for the L.E. Kruger flap drawings that went along with this presentation. The entire fan engine and cowl installation was an exercise in quality. Engineering demanded that the fan cowling would have almost no depressions where rivets were installed because of the super sonic flow aft of the fan outlet. They won after a loud rejection from manufacturing that they couldn't hold the tolerances. Engineering also maintained the sharp radius on the nacelle intake lip for the best cruise performance and elected to have the "blow-in doors" to activate when intake pressures became negative due to lip stall at low airplane speeds. Really fun to see all this stuff working again after 60+ years. Beautiful lofting on the nacelles and cowling. Did a lot of work on the turbo compressors installation, too. Still good stuff! I can't answer the question about the retraction of the Kruger flaps except that they were no longer needed and you might be correct in stating that perhaps they could be damaged by reverse thrust debris.

islerodreaming likes this.
  9. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Be advised that my advanced years have clouded my memory but I think that the squat switches trigger the deployment of the ground spoilers and retraction of the Kruger flaps. Then the trailing edge flaps are retracted . Every effort is made to unload the wing lift so that the brakes are fully effective.

10. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

I was wondering why the Krueger flaps re-deployed again after the thrust reversers closed. Didn't affect the spoilers.

11. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    The squat switches may enable the operation of the retraction, but the flaps could also be connected through the thrust reverser, both being needed for retraction.