"The Lamborghini Miura" by Simon Kidston | Page 2 | FerrariChat

"The Lamborghini Miura" by Simon Kidston

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by Ronald A. Berke, Oct 19, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. stevewak

stevewak Karting

Jul 31, 2006
    UK
    It is on the home page and has been since June. Send an email to register your interest please.

375+ likes this.
  2. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Yes, you are correct. On the home page.
    Heard it is in the UK Pound 15,000 range.

375+ likes this.
  3. bloomberg

bloomberg Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2011
    Now look at this!
    Did he sell the first copy for £2,500.00 , and then persuade another customer to sell another to him?
    Or (as I believe), did he just buy a bunch from Kidston at retail, expecting to flip them for a very nice profit.
    Look at the very expensive Bentley book from Palawan. Palawan released another 6 copies for £1,000.00 (all sold). Now Horton's offers two copies for
    £4,500.00 each.

THE LAMBORGHINI MIURA
    This book is one of the fastest selling motoring books of all time.It came and went in under two weeks.The book is truly magnificent and was certainly worth the wait.This particular example came from a customer that had bought two copies and I have managed to persuade him to sell one to us which is how we can now offer this elusive book for sale.It is expensive but it is brand new and I doubt if most of the other examples will ever come for sale any time soon.If you have a Miura, are thinking of buying a Miura or just love the Miura this is a book you should own.It is better than money in the bank.Buy it now and enjoy it and see the price rise over the next few years

Ben Horton

• STOCK: In Stock
    • AUTHOR: Simon Kidston
    • ISBN:9781527261174
    • PUBLISHER: Kidston SA
    • PUBLICATION YEAR:2020
    • EDITION:1st Edition
    • LANGUAGE:English
    • PAGES:454
    • ILLUSTRATIONS:Black & White and Colour
    • FORMAT:Hardback published without dust jacket
    • SLIPCASE:Yes
    • LIMITED EDITION:762 copies
    • CONDITION BOOK:Fine
    • CONDITION SLIPCASE:Fine
    £3,250.00
    Ex Tax: £3,250.00

4. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Wow!!
    The fact that he is not showing the book number is of interest.
    I agree, I think they bought a few at RRP off the publisher and are now cashing in.

Nembo1777 and bloomberg like this.
  5. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    The question is how many were actually printed.

6. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    How could there be more than 762 copies. The world is a small place with the internet these days.
    If it's found there are more than two numbers of the same number it's just not worth doing for reputation and legal reasons.

Lusso123 likes this.
  7. bloomberg

bloomberg Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2011
    It takes many good deeds to build a reputation, and only one bad one to lose it (Ben Franklin). I do not know Kidston cs in person, but I cannot imagine that he would engage into the nonsense of printing more than stated. The guy does not need that!

Rosey, 375+ and Lusso123 like this.
  8. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Just a question, for now.
    Has anyone seen another numbered book where the numbering is by...pencil...such as in this book, as opposed to a proper way to do it by engraving labelling or printing a number? Legitimate question, thanks in advance.

9. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Pencil? Huuu?

Marcel Massini

10. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Some publishers print a certain number of books as limited and numbered and then on top of that (at the same time or in the same run) print another couple thousand without any numbers at all and without the word limited etc. The latter will then come to market a couple months later.
    No surprise whatsoever.

Marcel Massini

11. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Precisely my point, thank you Marcel:)

I can just imagine the printer saying "You want just 762 copies? Is that a joke?"

12. bloomberg

bloomberg Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2011
    My copy has a pencil number :(

Rosey likes this.
  13. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #38 Nembo1777, Dec 4, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2020
    Well at least you have a copy.

I did half the work in the book 2007-2008 during an extremely intense period, delivered it April 2 2008 and had to wait.....twelve years....for it to come out this summer because he could not ever get his act together...only to be told extremely callously with zero apology his office screwed up and did not save me a copy.....

Good night I am now going to try to watch a movie, relax, take a sleeping pill to not add yet another sleepless night to the 100 plus this, the worst experience of my professional life, caused.

TWELVE YEARS....

14. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck

That is appalling treatment Marc. I empathize with with you on this. Kidston certainly should have made an effort to make things right with you, especially since it was his/their screw up. I've run into other problems with helping and doing work with and for some other individuals and companies over the years, only to get screwed by them. Hence there are very few now that I will bother to talk to when they try to contact me.

Nembo1777 and Jack-the-lad like this.
  15. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell

That is very poor, hopefully he'll send you one of the Gold edition or whatever they'll be called when their released.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  16. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    This is really annoying. I can feel your frustration at all. Been in that position....

Here is one that showed up today

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/posts/147599019/

Nembo1777 likes this.
  17. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Boomhauer, gt4me, Nembo1777 and 2 others like this.
  18. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Maybe they used the same book makers as Porter Press's Ferrari 250 GTE book, they only made 750 of those too. :)

Unless Kidston dumps a whole lot of non numbers Miura books on unsuspecting bookshops around the world there is no way of ordering them off him in any case as the website is clearly showing OUT OF STOCK and there is no way of placing an order or paying for one.

19. rynoshark

rynoshark Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 6, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Printers are happy to make whatever quantity you want, as long as you are willing to pay. The setup costs are very high for offset printing, so book publishers usually try to print larger runs to average out the cost across all the books. A print run of a very high-quality book under 1,000 copies is not unusual these days.

Rosey and 375+ like this.
  20. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Yes and for my own books the number printed has always been about 20% more than expected initial demand, though one of them (Maserati the Citroen years 1968-1975) sold out anyway! Having known SK for 20 years I just don't believe he had only 762 books printed. However it is not breaking any law or anyone's trust, to state only 762 were put to market even though you printed more. It is a publisher's right to hang on to remaining ones.

The ethical question comes when the remainder comes to market some time later. But giving them as gifts to clients is acceptable (because that is a private as opposed to public matter). For example when I was traveling back and forth from the Geneva office to Modena to interview factory old timers he had me bring back a borrowed original Miura SV owners manual. A few weeks later there was a bag in his office full of new ones, in glossy color, perfectly bound, impeccably made and indistinguishable from a real one. They were not advertised though that would have been factory copyright breach, I think he gave them to SV owning clients.

pilotoCS, Lusso123 and gt4me like this.
  21. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    pilotoCS likes this.
  22. ChoroQ

ChoroQ Karting

Jan 20, 2014
    Europe
    Full Name:
    A.C.
    I really would like to ask the seller if he thinks we are stupid or if he is the stupid. Can't really justify those.. those mere speculations.

23. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    As always in life, it is just about finding a victim.........

Marcel Massini

ChoroQ likes this.
  24. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Finding a "punter" as they say in the British isles, horrible conman's word meaning naive sucker customer.

25. MHK69

MHK69 Karting

Mar 14, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Matt K