The incredible Citroen SM Maserati Thread | FerrariChat

The incredible Citroen SM Maserati Thread

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Sunshine1, Feb 19, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Sunshine1

Sunshine1 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2011
    Miami
    --Starting a Thread for everyone who loves the car or just wants to comment on it (experiences, opinions, pictures, ...)--

The Citroen SM Maserati is truly an exceptional vehicle! Many people ignore that the SM was the first car to introduce innovative technologies that became commonplace later. Its look is amazing and beautiful (especially the European version with the front headlights underneath a long shapely glass). It's also one of the most comfortable cars on the planet to this day.

-------------------------------------

The Citroën SM is a high-performance coupé produced by the French manufacturer Citroën from 1970 to 1975. The SM won the 1972 Motor Trend Car of the Year award in the U.S. Contemporary automotive journalists were effusive about the SM's dynamic qualities, which were unlike anything they had experienced before. The SM provided a combination of comfort, sharp handling, and braking not available in any other car at the time. The magazine Popular Science noted that the SM had the shortest stopping distance of any car they had tested.

Automotive journalists marveled at the resulting ability to travel for hours at 200 km/h (124 mph) in comfort. The SM combines many unusual and innovative features, including hydro-pneumatic (oleo pneumatic) self-leveling suspension, self-leveling lights that swiveled with the steering, a new type of variable assist power steering (which allowed great assistance to the motorist while parking but little assistance at motorway speeds), a wiper mechanism sensitive to rain, a steering column adjustable in both height and reach, and a braking system that employs disc brakes at all four corners.

The SM was sold with a Maserati engine designed from scratch by Giulio Alfieri.

-------------------------------------

I'm in love with the car and would not mind having one in my garage at some point.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

71Satisfaction and LC3929 like this.
  2. SMarc

SMarc Rookie

Mar 21, 2016
    Not really, it's more sophisticated... The power of assistance is constant it is the straight line return which is more and more powerful according to the speed...

3. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Those were cool. IIRC, the swiveling headlights were not allowed in the US due to some sort of regulation.

4. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Do yourself a favor and never drive one. It will kill the dream.

hyenahf likes this.
  5. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I never wanted one, but I was impressed with the tech at the time. My dream cars back then were the Berlinetta Boxer, Daytona, and Countach.*

I sat in a Countach once and struck it off my list. :)

lineaTesoro likes this.
  6. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

I have had the privilege of driving a lot of cars and a few I wish I had never driven because reality is often a real let down.

MK1044 and G. Pepper like this.
  7. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    SM's take some getting used to but any good driver able to drive with finesse soon loves it.

I have countless childhood memories in Them with my family

8. porkchopious

porkchopious Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2009
    Oakton, VA
    Full Name:
    David
    I had a really nice SM that was restored and "europeanized" by Jerry Hathaway who runs SM World outside of LA. Very cool car and I loved it. Sold it on Bring a Trailer a couple of years ago. Jerry got rid of all the stupid US DOT crap that ruined the look of the SMs imported to the United States.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    In my opinion the SM is an absolutely stunning car, to both look at and drive. As much as I've driven 'conventional' cars all my life, and will continue to enjoy their customary ways, driving the SM was an experience far beyond my wildest expectations - an uncanny ability to give complete stability over uneven road conditions, plus a supremely comfortable ride. Yes, my initial sense of its 'attitude' bordered on the bizarre, but it only took about an hour of ...exploratory driving... to get the hang of what the chassis was going to do.

Does it make a difference whether it's a "good" one or a "bad" one? I don't know, but I got to spend two days with two separate 5-speed manual SM's freshly prepped by Dave Burnham Citroen...

Cheers,
    - Art

10. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    Merak1974 and G. Pepper like this.
  11. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    Here's another pic from Dave Burnham's shop - an SM undergoing full restoration with an EFI crate engine, sourced from Europe if I recall correctly... I'll have to ask Dave how it ran.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

boralogist, staatsof and G. Pepper like this.
  12. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    MK1044, porkchopious and G. Pepper like this.
  13. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Thanks for those vintage photos. I think I may have seen that car before, but I can't remember where.

14. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Hello Art...

Thank you for posting those pictures of the Frua design built on the SM platform!
    Very many hints of the Merak on there (in my opinion)!!

Mike

71Satisfaction likes this.
  15. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    Looks like the offspring of a Khamsin and a Merak.

Ivan
    Looks like the offspring of a Khamsin and a Merak.

Ivan

16. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    staatsof likes this.
  17. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Only if I can get a ride!

18. Sunshine1

Sunshine1 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2011
    Miami
    #18 Sunshine1, Mar 1, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
    Great pictures, keep posting :)

Like Nembo1777, I grew up with an SM in my family and have many beautiful memories with it (I was not old enough to drive it, boy I wanted to...).

The European version has definitely the best design with the full glass on the front and all the headlights. As these cars are more than 25 years-old, a European version can be used in our country (United States) and imported from Europe.

The only letdown in my opinion was the size of the engine and the horsepower, however it's understandable as the car was built during the first oil crisis in the early 70s. Still, the car was surprisingly very fast and quick at the time.

19. SMarc

SMarc Rookie

Mar 21, 2016
    Not really... it's a Citroen Lego basement with a Sm Motor-Gearbox, short Ds platform, arms & steering

20. Sunshine1

Sunshine1 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2011
    Miami
    It's Christmas, more pictures of this gorgeous and special car (European version with the sexy glass and lights). Enjoy!

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      41.6 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      77.6 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      73 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      95.2 KB
      Views:
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      71 KB
      Views:
    • 6.jpg
      6.jpg
      File size:
      29.3 KB
      Views:
    • 7.jpg
      7.jpg
      File size:
      62.9 KB
      Views:
    • 8.jpg
      8.jpg
      File size:
      53.7 KB
      Views:
    • 9.jpg
      9.jpg
      File size:
      41 KB
      Views:
    Nembo1777 and G. Pepper like this.
  21. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    FRANCE
    Nembo1777 and G. Pepper like this.
  22. Froggie

Froggie Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2017
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Serge
    Even the carrier was well thought aerodynamically ;)

23. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    FRANCE
    Boomhauer and G. Pepper like this.
  24. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    He just passed away, thanks for reminding me of his name, he went there against Citroen's wishes. The car was very good in long distance rallies, won the Bandama in Africa and Morocco but was not meant for circuit racing.