The (In)famous 358 rises from the dead! | Page 11 | FerrariChat

The (In)famous 358 rises from the dead!

Discussion in '348/355' started by plugzit, Nov 21, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. enginefxr

enginefxr Formula 3

Aug 20, 2007
    S&R Exotics
    Full Name:
    Gary Sharpe
    Pix?
    We want video! :D

2. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    Yeah? No ain't got none. Couldn't really get the sound of the car blasting down the straight and you guys already heard it idling and revving. But we got more pix.

I still have dreams about this car. It's like crack. You can't get enough of this thing.

3. plugzit

plugzit F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bruce Bogart
    Yeah, me too. Still got goose bumps. Golly, who didn't have dreams of "racing a Ferrari" as a kid? Dream come true!

4. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I got some but I don't know how to post it. Can you figure it out Vince? I have never tried to send a large file.

5. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    We need to start a petition on this thread to allow me to drive it at the next track outing. I was only allowed to drool! I have 2 racecar wrecks in 2 years and 1 love tap all not my fault. Still, I don't think they like my driving record. So how about some help my brothers lay some pressure on them for me.

6. rydermike

rydermike Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2010
    Spring Hill,FL
    Full Name:
    Mike Donohue
    I think previous owner should get 5-10 laps driving as well!!

7. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    Make that two of us. Consider its always easier for someone else to put the first paint chip on the car, we should have no problem with that task.

Fatso, Its Bumpin and Rubbin, not wrecking. You just have to modify the presentation a little.

8. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    Helms, anytime you want to get your butt out here, we will put you in the driver's seat. Guaranteed. I am sure Bruce agrees, but if not, you can have my seat time at any event. :)

In fact, you have a better chance of driving this thing that the fat man at this stage. ;)

FBB, you need to post the video on YouTube, then put the hyperlink in your FChat post. I am sure you cannot wait to post my spin in Turn 2! It was no big deal, but I know you are chomping at the bit to show everyone how not to enter this turn. :D It's ok with me, dude. But if you do, then you need to come clean about your spin in Olie's car!

9. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    #259 vvassallo, Mar 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  10. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    OK, I'll come clean. Me spin was bigger and dirtier than yours. Thankfully Oli's buddy JD had already spin a bunch of times and got the yellow terror all dirty. By the time I spun Oli did not even notice except all of a sudden I was not following him anymore the reason was obvious. I'm just a more experienced bonehead than you so bigger bonehead move!

11. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    It's a good thing I have no pretentions about my abilities or talents. ;)

12. plugzit

plugzit F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bruce Bogart
    Had the 358 to the new Chuckwalla Valley Raceway yesterday, and it performed flawlessly. Second time I've had it to the track, and as I get more familiar with the car, I become more impressed by its' capabilities. With a few laps under my belt, now I'm beginning to explore the grip, acceleration, and braking abilities of the car.
    I also drove (the poop out of) a 458 that belongs to my new best personal friend, Dave, and I have to say that it's insanely fast. I came. Also drove his (did I say he's my new best personal friend and a fine human being?) Lotus 2eleven. Comparing experiences, I have to say that either I'm one of the finest drivers in the universe or the 458 is unbelievable. Believe the unbelievable 'cause I'm old and slow, but that car makes you look like Jim Clark. The 211 was my favorite of the two, all manual, open cockpit, fastern' stink. That's what I want for my next track car. Glad my new personal hero Dave didn't see me sideways on the back part of the track. Had to quit driving it 'cause having that much fun could have had only one result-broke, divorced, and needing a place to put the track car!

13. Sandy Eggo

Sandy Eggo F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 4, 2009
    Encinitas, CA
    Full Name:
    Rick
    #263 Sandy Eggo, Mar 24, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2011
    Seeing as how you were positively spoiled by Dave in the 458 and 2Eleven, I didn't even think to throw you the keys to my F355. I figured you'd just be disappointed ... but where were my manners?! Next time, plugz, I want you to wring it out and tell me what you think. Now that I have the "Dave Helms Edition" (connectors and hoses) F355 - he'd probably love to hear the feedback as well. Are you joining Fatso and the others at El Toro in a couple weeks?

BTW, that race car of yours is positively 'brutal'. I think it'd give that 2Eleven a run for its money for sure.

14. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    You guys are having Way too much fun.

15. plugzit

plugzit F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bruce Bogart
    If some is good, then more is better, and too much is just enough. :)

16. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    Hey Dave, our race car actually runs. LOL :p

Just kidding... ;)

17. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    #267 davehelms, Mar 26, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2011
    I hate conceeding defeat but with all of the projects in progress and the snow melting....

I may have to just do a quick freshen of the engine in the car, finish the wing project and throw this lump in the trailer to come play. Flyboy wants a hair dryered Jelly Bean so he can play with the GFRT crowd.... If Gary and I get that done and he can find a spare C-130 needed a test flight, we wont need trailers. Excessive is our motto.

18. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    #268 fatbillybob, Mar 26, 2011
    Two weeks ago this was the skid pad at buttonwillow. I think the 358 guys showed up in this but I could not verify and they won't admit to it. They even brought a fake Jeep with a trailer trying to imply they are a budget effort. I think I'm going to have to add some enhancements to my 550 for my next testday. AKA cheat!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    Sand bagging no doubt, it was only a matter of time. Once the duo mounted the picnic table to the deck lid the light turned on. Bruce posted the picture of the Moose earlier just to draw attention away. The games have just begun, it makes sense now.

20. xtcgt

xtcgt Karting

Nov 20, 2009
    Toms River NJ
    Full Name:
    Robert Boynton
    can you post info about the wing. I see its an ARP but they don't list it on their website. can you give me details on it so i can talk"intelligently" to the staff when calling.

Thanks
    Robert

21. plugzit

plugzit F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bruce Bogart
    It's an APR Performance 55" aluminum wing. They've recently brought back the design. On a 355, you'll need to modify the mounting brackets slightly and fab some adjusters, as they are a good deal shorter than those that come with the kit, which is made to mount on a flatter surface. Nice guys at APR, just give them a call.

22. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Bruce is that a cfd wing with numbers for generated downforce like their carbon wings?

23. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    That's an aluminum wing with CF end plates and it is upposed to be like the CF ones.

24. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    #274 vvassallo, Apr 17, 2011
    What to do on a sunny CA afternoon? Why, work on the race car of course!

Mechanical work and a full wax and buff job. Hey, the tachometer works now! Woohoo! Dare we attempt the speedo and the IR lap counter?

Hey Dave, we upped the rev limiter too and Bruce is going to try it out on Tuesday. Anxious to see what she'll do. Maybe someone will lend us a digital track recorder camera for a few laps, eh Rick, so we can share the wild experience that is driving this car?

Also thinking of replacing the vacuum control for the balancing butterfly on the intake. Seems to like to throw MAP fault errors. Not a biggie, just something to add to the list.

Next up is probably some interior and duct work paint. Should would like a second Challenge seat and harness... ;)

25. plugzit

plugzit F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bruce Bogart