The halo...has anyone besides me else noticed.... | Page 3 | FerrariChat

The halo...has anyone besides me else noticed....

Discussion in 'F1' started by lorenzobandini, Apr 16, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tatcat

tatcat F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2001
    panama city beach FL
    Full Name:
    rick c
    Halo 2
    Death 0

2. Indeed.
    My interest in auto racing is the function of the cars and drivers, rather than the aesthetics.. Otherwise, I would be off to an art gallery instead......

kraftwerk likes this.
  3. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    I've posted pics of possible saves by the Halo in the past.

One of them was Alonso in the Mclaren.a couple of years ago.

Another was in F2 I believe . Japanese driver also a couple of years ago.

sammysaber and Flavio_C like this.
  4. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    They likely figured Formula E was gay enough as is. (That's an older term meaning silly if you didn't already know.)

Jakuzzi and tifosi12 like this.
  5. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    I hate the look of the halo. But my goodness it works! Well done to F1 for pushing it through against the weight of popular opinion. Halo is here to stay. I better get used to it...

jgonzalesm6 likes this.
  6. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Formula E HAS the Halo.

Flavio_C likes this.
  7. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    I've never doubted of its utility, but, God, still looks horrible like the first day. FIA knows it and bothered to redesign it for 2022.

jpalmito likes this.
  8. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Lets face it, I would say it has more than justified its case to be on the car, especially on this occasion , I figure we could have been looking at a very nasty outcome without it.
    Going against fans and drivers sentiments, and putting aside the cars aesthetics was the right thing to do, but I do get the reasons for its dislike.
    However this bastard virus still remains the main enemy.

lorenzobandini and tomc like this.
  9. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    I posted that April 2018 not sure maybe I didn’t see it or they weren’t in he cars yet

10. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Formula E has the Halo on currently.

Flavio_C and absostone like this.
  11. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Don't forget Helmut Koinigg, Watkins Glen 1974.....

12. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Yes I mentioned the poor man a couple of days ago. One prominent person in Ferrari US publishing saw his accident happen and got spooked pretty much permanently.

13. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Uh, I just googled the name and found pictures that shouldn't be on the internet. :eek::(

14. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Absolutely right, that is the ugly side of the internet. Everything, unfiltered, no common sense or decency.

jpalmito likes this.
  15. I don't mind so much that they exist on line, it's when they're exploited that bothers me.

There's a board that has a forum dedicated to pictures of tragic accident scenes. When I asked why they would do such, I got rationale like "So others can remember these drivers".

When I inquired further about the pictures of the "deathbeds" of their family members or friends that had passed on (rather than photos of them whilst alive) hanging on their walls to "remmeber" them by, I got no answer.

Morbid b*st*rds.......

sammysaber, tifosi12 and Nembo1777 like this.
  16. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Or François Cevert same track.

17. We didn't forget ;)

tifosi12, Nembo1777 and jpalmito like this.
  18. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    Does anyone know exactly how long Grosjean was in the car after it came to rest? I've read that it was about 30 seconds...but it felt longer when watching it. I thought by viewing the footage I could time it, but there doesn't seem to be a continuous piece of video that shows it with out a cut. I was also against the halo but it really earned the right to be there. It looked to me that it was the halo that it may have helped the front of the car cut through the barrier so that the front of the car got all the way through and gave Grosjean the room needed to get himself out. Also the quality of the suit and helmet kept his burns and smoke inhalation to a minimum. I wonder how he lost one of his shoes. I wouldn't be surprised, nor blame him, if he missed the last race of the season as well. Certainly come to the track, but not get in the car unless he is really in 100% shape.

19. ScuderiaRossa

ScuderiaRossa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2001
    I know Halo is now all the rage but I haven't seen any comments anywhere re: Grosjean's typical first lap antics? What exactly was he doing cutting across like that?

BJK likes this.
  20. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    It was 29 seconds. That's how long Grosjean was in the fiery inferno before he got rescued.

21. Charles B. Goodwind

Jan 24, 2012
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    C.M.
    They showed one continuous replay from the helicopter – the replay was shown approximately 25 minutes after the start of the race. It was in real time (or so I believe), but the helicopter went “behind” the car/fire/smoke, so it is not possible to determine exactly how long Grosjean was in the car – but I have made the following observations:

About 10 seconds after the point of impact the medical car stops at the scene. About 22 seconds after impact the fire around the cockpit is suppressed – which allowed Dr. Ian Roberts to help Grosjean away from the car. And finally, about 28 seconds after impact Grosjean is well clear of the car. Due to the angle of the camera Grosjean is a coupe of meters away from the car at this point. My guess is that Grosjean was out of the car about 25 seconds after the impact.

From the other replays we know, that Grosjean was already getting out of the car at the 22 second mark. The replay also seems to show, that the fire suppression system in the cockpit worked – so Grosjean was not sitting in fire for very long. It seems that the majority of the fire was “behind” or on the underside of the car.

As for the shoe I don’t know – but it was missing when he got out of the car.

22. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    This video says 32 seconds. I've read 29 seconds.

23. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Wow it never ceases to amaze me how he walked out of that relatively unscathed, credit to all concerned that helped and the cars safety engineering in keeping the driver safe in such circumstances excellent.

tomc and jgonzalesm6 like this.
  24. Charles B. Goodwind

Jan 24, 2012
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    C.M.
    Well, that video starts 1 second before impact, and at the 30 second mark you can see Grosjean well clear of the car... If it is 28 or 29 seconds does not matter - but it was certainly not 28 seconds sitting in fire.

Anyway, all these things will become clear when the investigation is finished.

25. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    Even with the car's fire surpression system, he was in the middle of flames long enough for his visor to become blackened and show signs of deformation from the heat, at least the safety car doctor said so. It also looked has if Grosjean's suit suffered heat/flame damage...the man with the fire bottle was spraying him as they were getting him away from the car. But his helmet kept flames out and that must have protected his lungs. Who makes the drivers suits...one manufacturer or several?