The GREAT SPRING DRIVE--OFFICIAL THREAD-PLEASE READ!!!! | FerrariChat

The GREAT SPRING DRIVE--OFFICIAL THREAD-PLEASE READ!!!!

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region - USA (PA, DE, MD, DC, VA)' started by JoeZaff, Apr 2, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    #1 JoeZaff, Apr 2, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2010
    Time to clean up the cars and get ready for the GREAT SPRING DRIVE. If you don't like driving...this one is not for you. We are talking about 5 hours and 130+ miles of driving on some of the most beautiful country roads the region has to offer. Rcraig, our master navigator, and his brilliant son Josh have gone to great pains to sort out a route that avoids traffic lights and congestion. The roads are VERY lightly travelled and are devoid of long straights. I have done the complete drive twice now, and it is just incredible. My special thanks to Steve T, and Jon W. for their help as well.

SO WHY THE NEW THREAD?

Since the original thread is now over 12 pages long, lots of information has been buried in the over 300 posts, I decided to start a new thread with all the critical data up front.

WHAT DO YOU NEED TO KNOW?

Event date:
    The event date is April 10th, with a rain date of April 11th.

Who can attend?

The event is open to all f-chatters and their friends and families.

Where are we meeting and when are we leaving?

We will meet in Elkton Maryland at the restaurant formerly known as the Iron skillet (it now is called the travel plaza restaurant and there is a big red tarp on the front of the building advertising "BREAKFAST BUFFET $5.00, 6am-11am". The exact address is I-95 & MD 279 (Exit 109 A), Elkton, MD 21921. There is a Shell gas station in the same plaza.

Where are we going?

The drive itself is over 120 miles and goes through Delaware and up through Lancaster, Pa. We will be stopping about 40 miles from our final destination at a park where we can relax, use the restrooms, take some photos and just B.S. We will then drive some more and end at a restaurant a few miles from the starting point and a VERY short distance from I-95 and Route 1.

What about food?

We will be ending our run with a late lunch/early dinner at around 2:30pm. The restaurant has graciously offered to provide us with a reasonable pre-fix menu, so everyone who wants dinner will just contribute the same reasonable amount (likely less than $20.00). There is also a bar for those who want to stay longer. The restaurant is opening up a back room for us with views of the property, so the worry warts among us---like me---can keep an eye on their car :)

What is the purpose?

The drive itself is being organized for charity, the Boys and Girls Club of Delaware. Accordingly, I am asking that all participants make a small donation, whatever they are comfortable with. My law firm will contribute up to $500.00 towards the cause in matching funds.

Ya, but what's in it for me?
    Bufferbarry has agreed to donate a complete detail to the person who donates the most money! Specifically, he will offer a full paint correction with a complete interior and exterior detail. The services will be provided at his Location. He will also throw in a free company polo shirt.

Djblue will be providing the t-shirts!--I don't know cost yet.

Whose going?

As it stands right now, we have approximately 30 cars (some signed up, some who have contacted me privately). We will break up into groups of 5 or so. All team leaders will be provided with a point by point map in advance. EVERYBODY will be given point by point written directions on the day of the event.

Now let's be good :)

This is not a rally or a race--NO SPEEDING!!!! It is a CASUAL, scenic drive that everyone can enjoy, including those who are bringing their families. We will be traveling in amish country and through farmland. Let's be respectful of everyone. Drive responsibly.

Here is the official list so far:

1. JoeZaff
    2. Joe Macchione
    3. autowerks9
    4. Sean-Michael (djblu)
    5. Barry Theal Bufferbarry
    6. Jon Walton
    7. Steve Tedeschi
    8. Bob Craig
    9. VGM911
    10. jimangle
    11. Out
    12. captglen
    13. Jay Goodman
    14. AgentF1
    15. Ducati998S
    16. Jay Holmstrom
    17. MyPhillyLawyer
    18. SpykerBAS
    19. Cobraownr
    20. DLButler
    21. Nick Oakes
    22. Dave W.
    23 Jeremy@fabspeed
    24. G4titan
    25. DuanJuan348
    26. Ztarum

2. captglen

captglen Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2007
    West Palm Beach, Fl
    Full Name:
    Glenn L.
    GPS address is 221 Belle Hill Road, Elkton, MD 21921

3. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    Hey Joe, just for fun, can you list the cars driven next to the participants?

Looks like it will be almost 400 miles for us when all is said and done. Sure wish I knew the source of that faint anti-freeze smell.
    Dave

4. djblu

djblu Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2007
    philthy
    Full Name:
    sean-michael
    sadly t-shirts will not be available due to timing.

SORRY FOR THIS NEWS.

5. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :( :(

The design you made was so cool!

6. djblu

djblu Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2007
    philthy
    Full Name:
    sean-michael
    I can try and push my guy but with my work flow new clients "amazon" :) I just never had the time to complete the design and get it to the printer in time.

I can get u a one off though U like it in large or XL.

7. AlanRS

AlanRS Formula Junior

Jan 3, 2009
    DE
    Got clearance from my better half. We have tickets that night to Wilco and she made me promise I won't be exhausted from a day of driving.

8. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    #8 JoeZaff, Apr 3, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have horrible news. Today I got home from the shore early. As soon as we got in the house I announced to my wife and daughter that we were taking the Mondial to get ice cream.

After eating, we got back in the car and began to back out. At that moment, I saw a woman in a SUV coming around the bend. I stopped and waited for her to pass. Only, she was so freakin preoccupied that instead of passing, she clipped the back of the Mondial.

That's right, she clipped the back of my Mondial.

One more time, as I slowly go insane...she clipped the back of my Mondial.

She clipped the back of my mondial

she clipped the back of my #$%@#E!QWE!@#$R@#$%@#$R#$%@#$%@#$%@#$%

Thankfully, the impact was almost nonexistent. I was able to give Mike at Karosserie a call and the damage is limited to a bit of rolled metal and a scuffed bumper, which he believes can be easily fixed.

Unfortunately, this also means the Mondial will be heading to Karosserie Monday morning and will be missing the Rally.

I know everyone is counting on me for this event, so I will be coming in the little Mercedes

:( :( :(
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. Barry@PresidentialDetails

BANNED

Nov 7, 2009
    Lancaster PA
    Full Name:
    Barry Theal
    Joe thanks for putting this together. Hopefully The Boys and Girls club will benefit greatly from this. Fellowship is a great thing!

10. djblu

djblu Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2007
    philthy
    Full Name:
    sean-michael
    SUCKS!

so so sorry for this news.

11. Joe Mac

Joe Mac Formula 3

Joe, so sorry man. It mustve been horrific to participate it that!!don't even know what to say!!

If bob craig's car is ok, do you want to be my navigator next weekend??

12. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    #12 JoeZaff, Apr 3, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2010
    Thanks for the generous offer. I really appreciate it. I'll give you a call tomorrow.

As embarrassing as it may be to admit, no joke, I am seriously devastated. If one more person tells me "it is just a car," they are going to become a statistic. I am not a moron, I know that it is not the same thing as something happening to a person.

I don't care that the damage is cosmetic, I don't care that it is minor. I just can't f&cking believe it happened, and I can't believe I won't have the pleasure of her company for quite a while.

Thankfully, my wife knows she married a complete neurotic and has been surprisingly supportive. My daughter even wrote me a song about the Ferrari getting fixed!

13. curtisc63

curtisc63 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 13, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Curtis Campbell
    Where did you hide her body?

Joe - I am so sorry this happened. It totally sucks! I will never say the Mondial is just a car - scandalous! She will be in good hands.

Curtis

14. ztarum

ztarum Formula 3

Mar 30, 2008
    South Jersey, USA
    Maybe I missed it, but what time should we arrive at the Skillet, and what time is the actual start?

15. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Arrive between 9 and 10, firm departure of 10:30

16. captglen

captglen Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2007
    West Palm Beach, Fl
    Full Name:
    Glenn L.
    WoW Joe, I am so sorry for you, what a total bummer

17. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    Joe,
    I have to wipe a tear from my eye to write this. I believe I understand your love for the Mondi. I have loved many cars (and a few airplanes) in my life and some very special ones are like a part of me. Not all cars are simply a collection of parts. Some were created for more than profit. They were made from inspired ingenuity and artistry. These cars have soul. The Mondial is certainly one and yours is special. The truth is she will never be the same. However, as with all of us, her blemishes (even if not visible) will only add to her character.

I am selfishly disappointed that I will miss your car Sunday but I will one day meet her.

Dave

18. AlanRS

AlanRS Formula Junior

Jan 3, 2009
    DE
    Sorry to hear the bad news Joe. If the damage is only cosmetic, I vote you don't send the car to the shop yet and take it on the spring drive, if you can ignore the damage enough to still enjoy all the great things about the car. I think the memory of having the car with you for the drive will overwrite any memory of the accident for that day.

Just my 2c.

Oh, and please tell us what your reaction was when you got out of the car to "talk" to the lady.

19. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    is there going to be a caravan to the location and any north NJ guys going?

20. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Mike at karosserie offered to give me the car back for the drive, but honestly, I can't even look at her right now. I just want to bring her in and get her back when she is all better.

As for my reaction at the scene, my wife said it was Epic, and that we are going to have a talk when the wound is not so fresh. Apparently, she is under some misimpression that wailing in the streets with the intensity of an extra from Beaches/mixed with a full on Louis Black style tirade, is an inappropriate reaction to minor accident. We will have to agree to disagree. :)

Of course, whatever I said clearly did not bother the other driver, as neither she, nor anyone in her car, spoke a single word of English. In fact, the police had to call a spanish translator just to speak to her.

21. rcraig

rcraig F1 Rookie

Dec 7, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Bob Craig
    He pleads the fifth!
    Joe Z. ,

Glad you decided to still make the trip. All of us that know you in this community are %1000 behind you. You're a true Ferrari lover with the best of them(Me). She will be a little blemished, but you love that car more everyday no matter. It will always be the best car you ever had, and you should be saluted for choosing to drive it and use it the way Enzo intended.

Bob

22. jimangle

jimangle F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Haverford
    Full Name:
    James
    Really sorry to hear this Joe. I know what it's like to get hit by a driver for not paying attention, I've had it happen to me twice. It's a good thing that it should be easily repaired.

Jim

23. Joe Mac

Joe Mac Formula 3

Joe, good news. I just spoke to Jon Walton and he feels so bad, that he has decided to drive his Lotus and allow you to drive his new Scud. I told him he was crazy but what a generous guy to say the least....I was going to offer that you drive my Vette (just back from County Corvette!!) but since Jon offered first.....

Happy Easter

24. turbos7903

turbos7903 F1 Rookie

Mar 16, 2006
    delaware
    Full Name:
    jon walton
    #24 turbos7903, Apr 4, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2010
    OMG...I feel your pain Joe. Of all the people to have this happen you are the guy that would be the worst possible candidate. You care soooo much about maintaining your cars pristine condition. Yet you drive the car and take the risk. Sorry you are not rewarded for your caretaking. Well the pain will soon pass and the joy will begin again soon ( after the insurance company tries to total the car for what Karroserie wants to charge to fix the damage) and this incident will be yet another amusing story shared for weeks and months to come. Just Breath...Jon in Delaware

25. turbos7903

turbos7903 F1 Rookie

Mar 16, 2006
    delaware
    Full Name:
    jon walton
    Joe m...You must really stop taking those sleeping Aids. they are making you hillucinate! Jon in Delaware