The Great Spring Drive--Let's start working on this! | FerrariChat

The Great Spring Drive--Let's start working on this!

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region - USA (PA, DE, MD, DC, VA)' started by JoeZaff, Jan 2, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Ladies and Gentlemen,
    In case you haven't noticed it is cold as sh^t outside. It is so bleepin cold, and will be so bleepin cold for so long I need something to get it off my mind.

SOOOOOOOO,

I was watching a special on the modern Mille Miglia and I started thinking. Wouldn't it be great to have a grand tour for all the F-chatters. Not a rally, not a race, but an absolutely epic drive. I am thinking maybe a two hundred and fifty miles We could break up into small groups and meet at certain predetermined points. Maybe starting in Maryland and work our way through PA. We can shoot for April 3rd, with the 4th being a rain date.

Let's start putting this together. Calling on all navigators, especially Bob and Jon, let's start planning.

2. jimangle

jimangle F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Haverford
    Full Name:
    James
    Joe,

I agree. How about a venture into West Virginia? There are some great roads out there.

Just a thought,
    Jim

3. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    I'm in.
    Dave

4. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Hmmm. A friend of mine mentioned an incredible well known mountain pass down there with constant switchbacks, etc. Do you know anything about it?

5. jimangle

jimangle F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Haverford
    Full Name:
    James
    I could find out. I've driven through on my motorcycle and the mountain roads were incredible. I think it would be worth it.

6. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Let's head south, hook up with the MD VA MAR guys at some point along the way.

DM

7. djblu

djblu Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2007
    philthy
    Full Name:
    sean-michael
    #7 djblu, Jan 3, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  8. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    PERFECT! PERFECT! PERFECT!

I love it!

9. Radnor

Radnor Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2007
    USA
    Dragon's Tail?

10. turbos7903

turbos7903 F1 Rookie

Mar 16, 2006
    delaware
    Full Name:
    jon walton
    Bring it on baby. You have two coming in a Porsche GT3!!! Jon (who is always game from Delaware)

11. jimangle

jimangle F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Haverford
    Full Name:
    James
    Sounds good to me.

12. Renee@Algar

Renee@Algar Karting

Sep 22, 2009
    Philadelphia, PA
    Full Name:
    Renee Dubyk
    ALGAR is in!

13. spang308

spang308 Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2004
    York, PA
    Might want to schedule it before 2110 while we're all still alive.

14. djblu

djblu Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2007
    philthy
    Full Name:
    sean-michael
    #14 djblu, Jan 3, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  15. rcraig

rcraig F1 Rookie

Dec 7, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Bob Craig
    Yea Joe, Where are you leading us? Dragons tail is hours away just to get there. Think carefully about driving in Virginia. Super bad for Police and fines. Bob

16. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Bob,
    I think you may be right. Let's keep it in the PA, DE, Maryland region---if we can come up with a fantastic, stupendous, sensational drive without dipping into VA.

It goes without saying that your expertise in this area is beyond reproach. I would love to hear any ideas you may have for this epic drive. I'm talking an all day 250 mile event. Bring the son/daughter/significant other type thing, where at various points we all look with mouths agape at the beautiful scenery.

Basically, I want to go on the type of drive where all of us at some point get out of our cars and say, "this may be one of the best days of my life!"

I am setting a VERY HIGH BAR here people, lets put our heads together and come up with something.

17. djblu

djblu Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2007
    philthy
    Full Name:
    sean-michael
    How bout 250 loops around the whip?

18. rcraig

rcraig F1 Rookie

Dec 7, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Bob Craig
    OK, I've Googled all the strip joints in Md and Pa and I think we may need a couple of days to do this. (And a truck full of dollar bills to meet us in each location). BTW We may want to leave the significant what-evers at home.
    Would you settle for "Damn, She's got Skills"

Bob

19. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Would it kill us to get as close to VA as possible?

There may be one or two guys down that way who would like to meet up with us.

DM

20. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    The number one goal is to find the best route possible. That may be a drive up the Brandywine, a covered bridge tour, or the Dragon's tail, I don't know. That's why I want everyone to brainstorm on this.

While I would like to meet the VA folks, I do not want to alienate our regulars. I am figuring the route has to stay within a 150 mile radius of our normal C&C location.

However, while this drive may be my suggestion, I don't want to take ownership over it. If you guys disagree with my proposals, we can do something else.

Personally, I give A LOT of weight to Bob's suggestions because the man could pretty much write a book on this stuff.

21. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    Joe,
    This sounds like just the drive I have been waiting for. Something to look forward to throughout the rest of the winter. If I can get the time off I will happily drive up to PA. My wife has no interest in spending a full day in her Ferrari but my daughter and I are definitely are up for it. But, we are gonna need t-shirts!

Dave

22. VGM911

VGM911 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2007
    New Jersey
    It's true that the Tail of the Dragon is pretty far from here, but I can't think of a more enjoyable way to do it (the first time for me) than with you guys.

It would require an overnight stay, and I'm wondering if that's feasible for anyone.

23. rcraig

rcraig F1 Rookie

Dec 7, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Bob Craig
    As much as I would like to things like overnight stays just aren't in my budget. But seriously don't let that deter anyone. I personally can find enough roads within50 miles of my house to keep me happy for years.

If we want to get the entire region on board it might be possible to plan something very nice between Phila. area and west of Baltimore and stay really nice, Big cities are always going to slow things down and collect traffic, but routes are possible.

Hell the pre-runs alone will be a gas.

Bob

24. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Bob,
    I did some quick research and there appears to be some beautiful sites in Maryland up near Frederick. Maybe we can do a run that starts at our local C&C spot and heads down into Maryland. In the alternative, I did find a site discussing a scenic drive through Lancaster County. Maybe we can incorporate both? I would love the drive to take us through quaint towns, around a nice lake and then way up into the hills. Think Mille Miglia :)

As for the Dragon's tail. I think that is something I am going to have to get out of my system, but not on this run. Jerry and whomever else, maybe we should plan a drive this Spring with a planned overnight. It is just too far for us to do any other way.

25. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    I'm with you. Heck, the first thing I did when I heard 250 miles was calculate the gas expense. . . Ouch! A day run sounds perfect to me.

Dave