The future F1 with 3.5-liter hydrogen V8 hybrid engines? | FerrariChat

The future F1 with 3.5-liter hydrogen V8 hybrid engines?

Discussion in 'F1' started by 444sp, Feb 13, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 444sp

444sp Formula Junior

Dec 18, 2016
  2. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    stavura, Bas, 444sp and 1 other person like this.
  3. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    something nice, simple, and noisy.

stavura, Bas, 375+ and 2 others like this.
  4. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Where did 3.5 litres come from ? Why not 3.0 ? Why not revive the 2.4s ?

5. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Giving up the turbo? That would be heresy, IMO.

I see the ICE surviving with synthetic or bio-fuel, and energy recovery through the turbo, of course.

6. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Looking back years ago back when BMW had their 760Li Hydrogen and the Mazda RX8 Hydrogen which both ran on both fuels, they lost roughly half the power IIRC. No idea what the Aston Hydrogen racecar did btw...also not sure if that car was dual fuel? I don't know if hydrogen cars lose power because of dual fuel or because hydrogen is less powerful than petrol, I'm sure someone here knows. So for that reason I can understand larger engines.

But if that's the case...Why not V10/12 Hydrogen, since they're so clean anyways?

Also what about 2 stroke hydrogen engine?

jpalmito likes this.
  7. Kenny94945

Kenny94945 Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Marin Calif
    FWIW I am not a fan of the current V6 "hybrids".

Hydrogen seems" like going down a rabbit hole" as the road car infrastructure is more than likely going to be built for electricity re-charging.

As long as F1 still turns the fastest laps, I would be inclined to want to see and hear a V8 N.A. high RPM gasoline engines, with a weak nod that 12 & 10 cylinders are not relevant to future road cars.
    But super chargers or turbos added to the V8 may add some "sizzle" and speed and fan (even driver) enjoyment.

Best of luck wished to all my forum co-members.

8. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I would love any F-1 where the rule book is opened back up. make it as green as you want - but let the designers and engineers get on with it, and show what can be done. 4 wheels, no more than 7G's at one time and no robotics/ drive has to input all control at all times... the noise the better.

375+ likes this.
  9. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    The thing is, hydrogen burns essentially instantaneously; whereas it takes gasoline a bit over a millisecond to burn. This means you don't get the cylinder cooling of gasoline as it vaporized off the top of the piston because you can't inject the hydrogen until the cylinder reaches TDC. in a N/A engine hydrogen shold produce close to the same engine output. In turbo applications, I don't think you can push the boost as far due to the lack of cooling mentioned previously.

Hydrogen has plenty of energy content per unit mass, but the fuel tanks are friggen heavy !!

Most Rockets have returned to using kerosene as first stage fuel because it is so much easier to handle at only a small cost to the total thermal efficiency per unit weight.

375+ and Bas like this.
  10. 444sp

444sp Formula Junior

Dec 18, 2016
  11. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Thanks. This may sound too simple a solution but could mixing the hydrogen with another gas that would aid cooling somewhat?

12. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    I think that this would be too much detached from reality. I mean, who builds hydrogen cars? And the very few around there have fuel cells, they don't burn hydrogen.

Yes, they would make noise, but steam engines also do and nobody cares about them now.

13. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Hydrogen tanks on a racing cars would need to be bulletproof to prevent any disaster in case of accident, hence very heavy.

A battery pack is heavy too, but at least there is no risk of explosion, although they can catch fire.

14. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    The problem is mass (H2 is very light (2 gm/mole) and specific heat (H2 does not absorb much heat:: 28 J/K/mole)) consuming 2×O2

In comparison:: octane (C8H10) is significantly heavier (128 gm/mole) and has a signficantly higher specific heat:: 256.88 J/K/mole consuming 26×O2.

In addition, if you simply injected some gass with the H2, that gass would have to be a nobel gass to avoid blowing up the injection system--hydrogen reacts almost instantaneously with almost everything not in the Nobel Gasses column. Then you are carrying a lot more weight (gass plus tanks).....

Bas likes this.
  15. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    The oxidization of Hydrogen in the fuel cell is equivalent to burning the hydrogen.

2×H2 + O2 <-> 2×(H2O) + 14.7Kcal/mole

Flavio_C likes this.
  16. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003

But in the fuel cell car, the engine is electric, so no noise, and that's what apparently everybody only cares about.

paulchua and william like this.
  17. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    7 liter V12's with Weber's: damn the torpedoes!:D

stavura, 444sp, red passion and 2 others like this.
  18. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
  19. red passion

red passion Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2012
    Hockenheim, Germany
    No, in that case tey are talking about combustion engines running on hydrogen, not fuel cells. So noise will be still there.

paulchua likes this.
  20. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Ah, I see, that sounds cool. (I hope quite literally)

:)

21. red passion

red passion Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2012
    Hockenheim, Germany
    If they can make it work it will sound spectecular. However burning hydrogen in an ICE comes with many challenges, as far as I understand. Let's see how that will turn out.

paulchua likes this.