The FerrariChat Jazz Lovers Thread | FerrariChat

The FerrariChat Jazz Lovers Thread

Discussion in 'Creative Arts' started by merstheman, Jan 19, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Hello all!

I've read a few posts here where people have confessed their love for Jazz music, so I thought with the recent re-naming of this section that it would be a nice idea to know who among us is a fan, and what you've been listening to!

Many Jazz musicians have owned Ferrari's in the past, and many certainly appreciate them, so who knows, perhaps we even have some Jazz players among us? It would be nice to meet you, too!

Anyway, I'll start off with what I've been listening to, these days, which is Jackie McLean's sublime "One Step Beyond" album, with a very young Tony Williams on drums at the height of his talent. I play drums, and I've been working on some 4-way coordination stuff, and Tony is always a great musician to hear when you want to get some ideas & insights on it. Of course I can't play like he could, but listening is probably the most important way to learn - besides practicing.

Here's the track that kicks the album off:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlvAlQV6CqA]JACKIE McLEAN, Saturday And Sunday - YouTube[/ame]

2. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Non-stop on Pandora; MJQ, Desmond, Baker, Coltrane, Jarrett, Peterson, Krall, Dave Grusin, Davis, Sinatra, Le Grand, Bill Evans, Gerry Mulligan, Tom Waits (;-), many others! Best cheap music I've found.

3. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Pandora can be great to find out new stuff, but I'm raely listening to it. I dig going through the musicians and labels one by one... Have a big collection by now....

Jarrett's one of my musical heroes, despite his public displays of preciousness. I saw him play a solo concert here in São Paulo last year from the front row, and it was probably the most impressive musical performance I've ever witnessed. Totally improvised from start to finish, almost 2 hours worth of it. Really really great.

4. kevfla

kevfla Formula 3

Nov 20, 2003
    Full Name:
    gone 4 good
    #4 kevfla, Jan 20, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2013
    Given MSeals' band exporting 'merican jazz to the sandy masses of the Mid-East and Florian's thread about Hammond B-3s, this thread was just a matter of time...but WHAT time? 4/4?

I need to figure out how to load YouTube links to my posts. If someone's willing to post a couple for me in the meantime, thank you, and start with Miles Davis/John Coltrane "So What,"

Ernestine Anderson's rendition of "All Blues"

and a bonus tract of McCoy Tyner's "Aisha" performed by a group at the Blue Wisp club in Cincy.

Mario, there's likely enough interest in Jobim/contemporary Brasilian jazz and electronica threads.

5. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    My wife and I have become friendly with Keith Jarrett so I'm kinda partial.

Aside from him, I enjoy Larry Carlton, Dave Grusin, Rit, GRP, Mel Torme, George Shearing, Acoustic Alchemy....

6. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    As far as I know, all you have to do to embed the YouTube videos is to post the link, and it will turn itself into a video here.

I missed the Hammond B3 thread, but I love the sound of those things. Almost bought myself an A100 a while ago, which is basically a B3 without percussion and some other little things.

Speaking of them, why not start the week with some music by who I believe was the greatest organ player ever: Larry Young. In fact, the string of Blue Note albums that featured as a core band Larry Young, Grant Green and Elvin Jones was pretty much some of the best music made on that amazing label. Definitely my favorite organ trio, by far. Check it out:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMOty07XA-E]Larry Young, "Tyrone" - YouTube[/ame]

By the way, Sam Rivers is on sax on this album, and he's also one of my absolute favorites. I'll be posting about him soon!

7. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Here's one with some mild Ferrari content:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Os65xAFV8ac]Jack Bruce - Sam Enchanted Dick (Medley: Sam's Sack Rill's Thrills) - YouTube[/ame]

Jack Bruce is best known as the bass player for Cream (With Eric Clapton and Ginger Baker; all three of them car nuts, BTW) but he was a pretty kick ass Jazz player too, even before he joined cream. This record was made in 1968 just as Cream was disintegrating. It features a young John McLaughlin on Guitar, as well as Dick Heckstall-Smith on saxophones and Jon Hiseman on drums, with Jack on double bass. Great British jazz.

8. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    #8 merstheman, Jan 23, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  9. 8-Ball

8-Ball Formula Junior

Sep 16, 2006
    Sussex
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Looks like 250TR s/n 0732, but that's LHD, so this could be a re-body?

Art Pepper on the CD player, BTW. :)

10. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    When I searched for this again, I was sure that was it, but I was surprised to see I might be wrong. I put a thread up in the vintage forum.

Art Pepper is great, he had a great strings record.

11. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMEWLeFtxYw]Miles Davis Quintet Live 1961 ~ If I Were A Bell - YouTube[/ame]

Was playing along to this one while practicing my drums, today. My right arm almost fell off after trying to play this one and So What sequentially. Still, some amazing music was made on these dates with Hank Mobley "Middleweight champion of the saxophone"... Coltrane was the heavyweight, of course.

12. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Car in post #8 is an AC Ace? Looks just like one featured on a recent episode of Chasing Classic Cars.

This thread is right in my wheelhouse, as I am a professional jazz pianist. I'll have to post later all my favorite stuff, but for sure, for me it begins and ends with Bill Evans.

Greg

13. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    There is a thread about the car in the Vintage section, it's a 250 Monza rebodied by Scaglietti...

I'd love to hear your suggestions, Greg. Bill Evans is a favorite of mine, particularly when he played with Paul Motian, who was my hero, and was a genius on drums, and Scott LaFaro.

Here's what I've been listening today while trying to come up with positive things to say about the Peugeot 208 at work:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1qIQjUy5B0]Mahavishnu Orchestra - The Dance of Maya - YouTube[/ame]

14. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAs-rgQ_nxk]Keith Jarrett & Gary Burton - The Raven Speaks - YouTube[/ame]

Check this out. Keith Jarrett on Electric Piano and Soprano Sax.

This is a really great record, very underrated. Sam Brown on guitar was incredible, too bad he never recorded as a leader.

15. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    I may singlehandedly keep this thread alive, but I don't care cos there really is some great music here..

Case in point:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3LWVQPM-pA]Air (Fred Hopkins, Steve McCall, Henry Threadgill): B.K. - YouTube[/ame]

AIR is a vastly underrated avant-garde jazz trio featuring 3 amazing musicians, Henry Threadgill on saxophones and flute, Fred Hopkins on Bass and Steve McCall on drums. Hopkins and McCall are a textbook example of under appreciation. These guys were so great, they constantly reinvented the idea of an avant-garde rhythm section, and together with Threadgill who is an incredibly inventive composer, they had the perfect situation to make amazing music. Highly recommended.

16. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ICJUFOJa2g]Joshua Redman - Jazz Crimes (Live) - YouTube[/ame]

Only bad thing about this video is that it cuts out before the song's over.

Joshua Redman, Sam Yahel and Brian Blade...

17. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    #17 darth550, Feb 17, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2013
    His "Improvisation Show" was amazing. He basically came out, sat down and blew the doors off the Disney Playhouse all by himself..

18. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    I saw him do the same thing last year here in São Paulo, from the front row! He's really amazing. Just don't make any noise or he'll get angry. Also no pictures....haha

19. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    I mean....

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIUIuCrPGVg]Old Man River - YouTube[/ame]

20. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DEFsvXyLpk[/ame]

Max Roach. Mastery.

21. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    #21 darth550, Feb 25, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  22. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    That's an awesome disc. I loved GRP back in the day. I have a TON of their stuff. I miss the GRP era greatly...

23. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Just discovered Israeli bassist Avishai Cohen on Pandora. Smooth....

24. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Avishai is great! He used to play in a trio with Chick Corea and Jeff Ballard which was top notch! Funnily enough there is a great trumpet player with the same name...

This video I am posting in honor of the new LaFerrari

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hbq13bLylCY]Bill Frisell ~ La La Means I Love You - YouTube[/ame]

25. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    LOL! I was assuming that's one guy/2instruments! Will have to read closer.....I actually like some of the horn pieces too, so that furthered my assumption...