The Ferrari of bikes ... IS.....(drumroll) | Page 2 | FerrariChat

The Ferrari of bikes ... IS.....(drumroll)

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by FLORIDAsnakeEyes, Nov 24, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. txitalia

txitalia Formula Junior

May 5, 2013
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Ducati has long been called the 'Ferrari of Motorcycles'. I don't necessarily disagree with that statement. The attitude and the branding are quite similar, as are the number of World Superbike Champioships.

Which is why I like Aprilia. Ducati being Ferrari makes Aprilia the 'Lamborghini of Motorcycles'. Smaller in production numbers and famous for its German motor (Rotax), the bike lends itself to being faster than Ducati 'right out of the box' and has a cult following that makes Toro Lovers look tame!

2. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    I have one of the 60-deg twin (Rotax) Aprilias. The engine is fantastic and thoughtfully engineered. It should be noted though that today all the engines used by Aprilia (750cc & 1200cc 90-deg twins, and the awesome 65-deg V4 in 1000cc & 1100cc versions) are made iin Italy with no current ties to Rotax.

3. starboy444

starboy444 F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Lucas
    In Retrospect:

Ducati = Ferrari
    Aprilia = Maserati
    MV Agusta = Lamborghini
    Bimota = Pagani

4. The Kook Abides

The Kook Abides F1 Rookie

Jan 4, 2011
    #29 The Kook Abides, Dec 1, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2015
  5. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
  6. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Thankfully, my Ducati shop IS the MV Augusta dealer.....right down from the Harley Biker Bar!!

7. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
  8. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
  9. TR86

TR86 Rookie

Jun 14, 2015
    #34 TR86, Dec 9, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  10. Northwest 550

Northwest 550 Karting

May 20, 2009
    Washington State
    Full Name:
    Brown M. Maloney
    The Honda CBX should be on the list.

1047cc, twin-cam inline six cylinder.

Like Ferrari, very small displacement pistons and very high revving.

Produced from 1979-1982.

11. FLORIDAsnakeEyes

FLORIDAsnakeEyes Formula 3

Jul 7, 2015
    Sarasota, Florida
    Full Name:
    OC
    #36 FLORIDAsnakeEyes, Jan 5, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2016
    Ducati has never had any affiliation, what so ever...

AGAIN, the "F" in the MV F4 series 2000-2009 is due to the fact that Ferrari designed the engine.

Ducati is more of the Rx7's of bikes.

12. FLORIDAsnakeEyes

Jul 7, 2015
    Sarasota, Florida
    Full Name:
    OC
    #37 FLORIDAsnakeEyes, Jan 5, 2016
    Aprilia however is as icons go, is an amazing bike too. Not to downplay Ducati, but they are dime a dozen in numbers comparison. Also has to be something about Ducati owners...complete generalization but yea...

Most MV guys know a LOT about the bikes. Most of the Duc ppl I have met have chicken strips, don't know what a magneto vs alternator is and what size the rear tire of their own bike is..

13. FLORIDAsnakeEyes

Jul 7, 2015
    Sarasota, Florida
    Full Name:
    OC
    #38 FLORIDAsnakeEyes, Jan 5, 2016

I have never heard anyone say that. Ever. Not at least anyone who knew anything about Italian bikes (see my above post).

14. FLORIDAsnakeEyes

Jul 7, 2015
    Sarasota, Florida
    Full Name:
    OC
    #39 FLORIDAsnakeEyes, Jan 5, 2016
    His name is Ron S. He always tell me he does not want folks knowing that part of his life anymore. He is/was very proud yet humble about it all. He is simply not in the condition he used to be.

Still a great uncle in my eyes, great dad and all around good guy.

15. FLORIDAsnakeEyes

Jul 7, 2015
    Sarasota, Florida
    Full Name:
    OC
    Harley did own them for one year, but never had any control over anything. Like Audi and Lambo when it first took over.

The really interesting thing is how MV used all the R&D funds to start all the lines you see now, and Harley in its infinite wisdom decided to buy and sell MV at a huge loss.

The following years saw sales spike and now explode over the newly designed F4. A really baffling play by Harley.

Many Italian companies have had a hand in MV since the 70's. Cagiva CRC etc.

16. FLORIDAsnakeEyes

Jul 7, 2015
    Sarasota, Florida
    Full Name:
    OC
    They do quite a bit to those bikes, but in essence you are right. Just like a Toyota .."Lexus" LOL

17. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #42 Wade, Jan 15, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  18. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    During the financial crisis Harley had to strip away expenses and return to th core of its business. Hence Buell's closure and giving MV back to the Castiglioni family.

In many ways Harley owning MV was the best thing that could have happened. It cleared MV of debt, invested in R&D to move along the 3-cylinder engine, and even put $20M in the bank to boot for operating costs. I can only assume it was cheaper to do this and loses $100M+ than to actually close the company (due to Italian labor laws?).

As for the comments that Ducati rider's know nothing about their bikes, in my observation this can be backed up for a percentage but certainly not all. This is a recent phenomenon, really in the last 10 years when Ducati made an effort to turn into a "lifestyle brand" ala Harley-Davidson. Also many ignorant Harley owners for the same reason.

Owning a Ducati used to take commitment. They were not overly reliable. Parts and aftermarket support were spotty. Ironically it is easier to own an early desmoquattro like my 851 today than it was 20 years ago when I bought it.

But the fact that Ducatis today are much easier to own shouldn't diminish the brand. They have been very successful and their products are among the best available. If/when I buy another one, it won't be because they are "cool" or because some rapper rides one, it will be because I appreciate the product for my own reasons. Even if they were unknown or even looked down on as a lesser brand, if I liked one I would buy one.

Which is why I also ride an Aprilia Mille. Dirt cheap these days. Honestly one of the best street bikes I have ever owned. It is a physically big bike which fits me better, and the overall engineering of that bike is extremely good. A low-mileage '04-08 Mille Factory might be $6000 or less, that has to be abou the most V-twin bike for the money you could ever find. Go older and they get even cheaper. The RSV4 is following this model of precipitous depreciation, early Factory models are under $10k with later APRC models just over ten grand. A huge amount of bike for the money.

As for MV, they remain a bucket-list brand for me personally. I still remember when the F4 debuted and it blew everything away looks-wise. Nearly 20 years later, not sure anything looks as good today even (maybe a Panigale comes close). The Ferrari connection with them is tenuous at best, most of the development work Ferrari did in the mid-90's was thrown in the trash as impractical for a production bike. IIRC only the radial valve arrangement was kept.

19. Perfusion

Perfusion F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2004
    Marietta, GA
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    What about Moto Guzzi? There's gotta be room for a Fiat/Alfa Romeo rearrangement there somewhere...

20. Gle8

Gle8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

I started out on Ducatis, then moved to MV's. Had a Brutale 910s, and while beautiful the on-off nature of the throttle made it tough to ride.

I moved on to Bimota, and can honestly say my SB8K Santamonica was the best bike I've ever ridden. Simply a joy to ride and absolutely stunning to look at.

While MV does have the engine in common, I'd view the Bimota as more like Ferrari.