the F40 is undervalued | Page 2 | FerrariChat

the F40 is undervalued

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by ross, Jun 1, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Joe did comment on your example and re-posted his comment. I agree with him. The Supra is in a bubble to get to near 200k. You can right now import a low mileage Japanese-market RHD Supra for under 6 figures. But a couple crazy people with a lot of money decided to want that particular one at that price...it's not a representation of all of them or even that same car on a different day.

joe sackey likes this.
  2. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Perhaps you know different Ferrari people from the ones I do, nobody I know thinks they have anything to do with each other, perhaps the ones I know are more observant & knowledgeable, I'm not sure, but I'm confident more than just 272 Ferrari people will disagree that the 288 GTO looks anything like a 308 or 328.

As I said, "It looks nothing like a 308 or a 328, the occasional dismissive statements that are made by some in that vein only speak to a lack of appreciation for design shapes, lines, stance and specification. A 288 GTO can be spotted from a great distance with it's unique wide & muscular shoulders, flying flag mirrors and quad driving lamps, in fact it looks like no other Ferrari."

Not only that, the 288 GTO, is a completely different chassis, suspension, engine and composite body, a different concept altogether and much more besides, all of which I uncovered after years of research for my book on the GTO.

There's a reason why some astute people pay $2.5m - $3.5m or whatever the current price is for a 288 GTO, relative to what they'd pay for a 308/328.

Worlds apart.

3. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    yes joe, we do understand that the 288 and the 308 are not the same car.
    but to deny that the 288 exterior design is not derivative of the 308 is false.
    that is the only point we were making.

4. Drew Altemara

Drew Altemara Formula 3

Feb 11, 2002
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Full Name:
    Drew Altemara
    Why aren't Daytona's valued at a million vs. $600k and a 275GTB is $2MM; just ballpark. I think the production run plays a substantial part. I think 1,300 F40s lowers the price but makes them more affordable to be enjoyed.

I'm happy to own an F40 but would not pay $2MM for one today.

DGPF likes this.
  5. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    F40's will be $2-3mm someday, but 288's and F50's will be $5-6mm.

All the current run of "special editions" will depreciate.

6. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

I don’t see the f50 being that high. It never was what the f40 was, it never led the pack for as long, never won anything and was not super well received by journalists... I think it’s as high as it goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Ferrari Valuations 101: Relativity

DGPF, Caeruleus11 and DRYHOLE like this.
  8. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    there are other factors at work ?

everything i have seen is that the f50 < f40 in any and all metrics outside of production numbers and pricing

my 75 year old mother. i long time ferrari customer and 328 owner would look at a GTO and say nice 328. so i'd say 10/10 on that....

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  9. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

U are probably right;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Red Sled

Red Sled Formula Junior

As an owner of both, it is like being asked to pick among your children. The F50's headline numbers were not a huge step forward from the F40, but the driving experience is the best I have encountered in an analogue car. And in a real world environment such as on a mountain pass, the V12 behind your back is truly special and it is, at least in my hands, quicker.

That it is an under appreciated car is only a positive to those who wanted to experience it. On a historical note, for the past 15 years or so, at least in Europe, the F50 has traded around 40-50% higher than the F40, and hard to see it changing. All down to relativity as Rob says.

11. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Americas Team Headquarters
    Full Name:
    Mark

Have to disagree with you here Joe, the GTO has a LOT of similarities in looks to the 308. The untrained observed can't tell the difference between the two (not that anyone cares). But it DOES look like it somewhat.

12. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Nope.

Unless you're still waiting on the Speciale and the CS to.

DGPF likes this.
  13. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    nope which part? you’ll be OK because you got Pista MSRP dealer.

DRYHOLE and henryr like this.
  14. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Nope that the special series all depreciate. I cited two examples where that hasn’t happened. And , oh yeah, the 16M.

15. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    the special series were more special then though, this ties in about perfect with the GTO/F50/Enzo vs. F40 contrast.

DRYHOLE likes this.
  16. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mark
    No question they were.

17. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    the special editions may not hold their high water marks, but they will most assuredly continue to be worth more than MSRP.
    they did drop, i bought my cs for less than msrp, and sold it for even less (stupidly), but now that it has gained notoriety, it will no likely drop back below msrp.
    same for the scud and the speciale.

what i do wonder about though are some of the pseudo special editions that the factory seems to be producing on a weekly basis these days......

how can a pista instantaneously be worth 2x sticker? same for f8 and same for the sf90.....
    i understand that wealthy collectors want to own the latest shiney object from modena, but i wont be one of them.

18. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    this is the key. i call it the stack. all ferrari models have their spot in the stack, and each time one of them changes, all the others have to be reevaluated again.

but that is also why i started the thread.
    the f40 is still around the 1-1.5 mil area, where it was when the 288gto was maybe 1.4-1.7, and the f50 was in the 1-1.5 area, and then suddenly the latter two took off and gained a mil, whereas the f40 did not. this is why i think the f40 is going to surge at some point - the relativity in the stack has been disturbed.

Veloce12 and Caeruleus11 like this.
  19. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    that's what I'm talking about too, the late model "special editions". they will all sell for high MSRP's from the dealer, they will always have a period where they sell higher than MSRP aftermarket, what will they do long term?

20. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Stay at MSRP or slightly more.

21. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    Maybe the correct title of this thread is "The F40 should be worth more than a GTO". :)

The GTO always lagged behind the F40. Now it doesn't. Things happen, tastes change, what once was old is new again.

And 308 or not, the GTO is one of the best looking modern Ferrari's ever, it's rare for a modern car, and collectors of the super cars want it as part of their collection. What'a gonna do?

No matter, the F40 is and will forever be an iconic car. Whatever the price.

-F

Caeruleus11, Albert-LP and joe sackey like this.
  22. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    we'll see long term. they make many more of them all together than the CS/Scud plus EVERYONE is producing special edition exotic cars these days. doesn't really matter much your situation buying from the dealer MSRP. you have to then agree those that buy aftermarket for a few hundred over will take a depreciation hit. however, the value of your car isn't market, it is MSRP unless you plan to flip and get out of the game.

dmark1 likes this.
  23. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    i dont know.
    i like the F8. i could even see myself buying that one day.
    but the SF90 is butt ugly.

DGPF likes this.
  24. fbrs2

fbrs2 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2012
    UK
    I imagine that feels good to say. :D

25. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    At our 2009 288 GTO Reunion, Fioravanti gathered us around and talked us through the conception of the car, he said the GTO was a clean-sheet-of-paper car which wasn't a derivative or had anything to do do with the 308.

That's good enough for me.

You'd better look after that F40 Drew or I'm coming down there to take it back ;)

I'm good your suggestion that the untrained can't tell the difference.

I think that anyone who is a Ferrari enthusiast can and views them as quite different, and they're who I'm considering.

Non-car people probably couldn't tell the difference between an F40 and an F50 either, they're both red with wings...

Veloce12 and Drew Altemara like this.