[The F12] is the best car Maranello has ever made -- Chris Harris. | Page 2 | FerrariChat

[The F12] is the best car Maranello has ever made -- Chris Harris.

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by fchatid, Nov 18, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MARMIST

MARMIST Formula 3

Jul 1, 2014
    ALSO, he never bashed Fcars per se, afaik.

He bashed THE COMPANY. He always said that the cars are amazing. Like when he bought that 599.

2. chouch

chouch Formula Junior

Nov 23, 2008
    I still think it's a decent place to find car news. Just have to ignore the non-car articles and the comments.
    I work on large scale / high traffic sites and sometimes to bring the numbers up, you have to sell your soul.
    Jalopnik went TMZ-like, but their audience is now super large.

Mike Spinelli, the guy who created it, is also one of the brain behind /DRIVE, so he knows how to do good stuff :)

It will be interesting to see what kind of article Harris can bring to Jalopnik.

3. Cheib

Cheib Rookie

Oct 9, 2014
    First post....been lurking for a month or so!

I like Harris's journalism....I generally find he says it how it is. He's accused as much of being a Porsche fan boy as anything else!

One thing is for sure he genuinely seems to like Ferrari V12's...he's owned a 612, 599 and an FF...and currently has a 512 TR.

The one thing that separates Harris from a lot of journo's is that like everyone one on here is that he is a genuine car nut. At any one time he seems to own a garage of five or six pretty eclectic cars.

4. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    He's always been complimentary about Ferrari's, and owned them before his open letter to the internet too. His main annoyance was Ferrari supplying cars with a bit more than standard power etc to get better reviews, not if their cars where good or not.

5. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    Exactly right. Not a showbiz man like some. Not agenda- or headline-driven. Has likes and dislikes but he is consistent and tells it like it is.

6. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    A theory that has been disproven time and again, as various customer cars post comparable times. Ferrari dynos each engine before fitting it into a car. If it doesn't achieve the factory's claims it is send back to the workshop for reasembly!

7. xskier

xskier Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2013
    any official information available about each engine dynod before fitting. Or just from the net

8. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    It's well documented and you can see it happening at the factory should you visit it. There is also a TV documentary (Discovery Channel I think) that shows a technician stating that this is the standard procedure.

9. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    As we all know, if a story has "legs," it stays around no matter what the facts are.

10. Whoopsy

Whoopsy Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Ferrari dyno-ing every engine to be up to spec for customer cars doesn't mean they don't put especially strong engines, ringers with the lightest weight options, as press/test cars.

11. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    I guess that customer cars are also ringers then...

12. xskier

xskier Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2013
    How they do it. Eatch engine on an engine dyno, or is the whole car sent to a normal dyno. but this would mean no brake in at all neither fot the engine, or if normal dyno not for the rest of the car. I somehow cant imagine they do it for every single engine. nowdays with that kind of perfection on engine building and so small tolerance is this effort still necessery

13. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Bench dyno and yes, every single unit has to pass from it, as it also runs the engine in.

14. JMJ

JMJ Karting

Jan 27, 2015
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey J
    I really miss my F12, have a new Superfast now. Both are incredible, the F12 seemed more dangerous, more out of control. The 4 wheel steering, on the 812, keeps the car planted, like a formula one vehicle. Both are beasts, and I imagine that the TDF is a beast as well, but I loved the F12.

15. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Not sure I find that feeling of being out of control like the F12 is a good thing. It was not in a way that made the car feel fast or agile, it was just loose and not very planted. For it to work, the agility needs to be teamed with a sense of control. A race car that does not feel controllable, is not fast because it does not inspire confidence. You can set the 812 up so that it gets more neutral. It should still feel planted, but it will become harder and less forgiving to drive - more like an actual track car. One thing the F12 never felt like, was a track car or a race car, but it was never really GT like either. A mixed bag of bolts and a bit confused. To each their own, I definitely prefer the mover developed 812.

16. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    And then the 812 made a liar out of him.

gliazzurri and Il Co-Pilota like this.
  17. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    And the 488, as well as the TdF and the Pista lol. Lots have happened since 2014.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Gh21631, LVP488 and Napoli like this.
  18. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    I like Chris Harris, anyone can find fault with anybody’s journalism from time to time but in general, I like what he stands for and how he goes about the things he does. But I don’t always agree with him. He said he preferred the 488 sound on his first drive at Fiorano to the 458. I think he was really making the point that the 458 sound is not the all-conquering thing that some make it out to be. This I agree with, but it is debatable that the 488 is better. He always loved the F12, I think because of its tail-out happiness which was easy to have fun with on a track. Most owners don’t drive their own car like that, even if they can. He doesn’t talk of the 812 in the same way, though he says it is objectively better. As an owner, the only thing I could find remotely reasonable to prefer about the F12 is the looks, which are, of course, subjective. To me, the 812 is as big an improvement over the F12 as the 458 was over the 430 - and the 458 was an all-new car.

I still love what CH says though and I enjoy listening to him, even the bits I don’t agree with.

Caeruleus11, Avia11, Gh21631 and 3 others like this.
  19. luigisayshello

luigisayshello Karting

Jul 9, 2014
    Well he bought a ff and following, an f12, don't think he has a 812. Lately he is reviewing cars on present competition without looking too much into the back catalogue, makes sense given where he sits today and for those after the latest and greatest, back then he wrote a lot for a slightly different demographic, more like him.

20. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    already the case

430jm likes this.