The F119 power modification thread | FerrariChat

The F119 power modification thread

Discussion in '348/355' started by ernie, Feb 18, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    This thread is to have a place where we can discuss modifications that can be done to help extract more power from the F119 (The engine found in the 348 and Mondial T).

Let the fun begin. :D

2. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    #2 ernie, Feb 18, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2016
    Guess I should get this kicked off.

I found a couple of formulas for estimating the power potential of an engine based on the flow of the cylinder heads.

The 1st formula is:
    flow x .25714 x number of cylinders = horsepower

The 2nd formula is:
    flow X .26 (tested @ 28" of water) = horsepower per cylinder

Thanks to TheItalianJob, and the flow testing of his heads, we have the stock F119 intake flow numbers which are 209cfm @ 28"/H2O on a cam lift of .360. Plugging in that number to the first formula we get:

209 x .25714 = 53.74226
    53.74226 x 8 = 429.93808

Rounded up that gives an estimated power potential the head could support of 430hp +/-.

Now let's see what the second formula gives.

209 x .26 = 54.34
    54.34 x 8 = 434.72

Again I'll round that up to an estimated power output of 435hp +/- which the stock head can support.

Both estimates put the power potential right around 430 horsepower mark for the F119. I find this to be true based on intake modifications AndyH did to his F119 (ITBs, Cams, Exhaust, ECU, custom tune), and what Steve Maxwell did to his F119 (complete custom intake, modified headers, custom exhaust, ECU, tune). Both guys are definitely well over 400hp.

TheItailianJob also had bigger valves put in his head. He went from the stock 30.5mm up to 34mm intake valves. That increased the flow to 241cfm @ 28"/H2O on a cam lift of .360 (stock intake cam lift is .362). A quick run of those number gives an estimated power output of 495-501hp :eek:!!!! Again, numbers I find to be true based on the horse power numbers I was told the F119 made when it was raced in the IMSA series. Mind you they did turn the engine north of 10,500rpm to make +500hp, but it did make the power.

So what does this mean?

It means that the F119's breathing is CHOKED in it's stock form, limiting the power it can make. The heads can support the power, it's the stock intake, exhaust, and even cams holding it back.

3. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    Great topic for a thread! Nice to see you active again in this section and on this topic. Subscribed.

4. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Thanks Mike.

I want to have this as an open discussion for making power improvements. Lots of owners, new and old, would like to get more power out of their engines. So I figured why not create a go to thread.

5. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    The first thing many 348s owner do is put on a free flow exhaust on their car. This really helps the "exhaling" of the F119, especially on the earlier 348s that have the HEAVY dual can exhaust setup.

Pap replaced his stock dual can mufflers with a free flow X-Ost, did a before and after dyno, and he gained +18.8hp to the wheels. I also have gotten rid of my old dual can muffler in favor of a custom Gothspeed muffler. If memory serves me correctly both cans combined weighed around 70lbs. So by going to a free flow muffler, not only will you gain some power you will also get rid of some weight.

6. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    Subbed

I am in. ECU mods really get the power down faster. I have not did any dyno work yet but SOP feel is well received that have the chips

7. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    I'll be out there in a little over a week Tim, and then we'll have some fun.

Did you schedule a baseline dyno at Church's yet?

8. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    Don't forget that replacement cats are part of an exhaust system upgrade. New metal core cats are substantially lighter than the stock ceramic core ones - and dare I say more efficient given the more recent technology.

9. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    Cool. Not yet I will get that early next week I'll buzz him tomorrow.

Just ordered 50 more high speed chips to play with also

:)

10. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    #10 ernie, Feb 18, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Right on.

I have an extra set of 4 hole injectors I'm gonna bring with me.

For those of you wondering what the difference is, the newer 4 hole injectors do a much better job of atomizing the fuel versus the old single hole injectors. Fuel that is atomized better will burn more efficiently = more power & better fuel consumption. Plus the set I'm bringing along flows better that the original injectors.

This video will give you a better understanding of the difference in the spray pattern old vs new.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfynoxL2RZI[/ame]
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    I think I have them already but just in case.

12. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    Our engines are essentially air pumps. The objective is to move as much air through them as fast as possible. Volumetric Efficiency is the actual realization compared to an engine's potential. HP is a by product of realizing higher levels of volumetric efficiency. One can either improve an existing engine's volumetric efficiency by making modifications that improve air flow in and out of the pump. Or, one can increase the engine's potential without increasing efficiency. Optimally we do both.

Example 1 is intake and exhaust improvements to allow better air flow into and out of the heads.

Example 2 is increasing the valve size, head capacity or engine displacement to bump up the engine's potential by increasing its flow volume.

We Stooges are trying to do both. Example 1 is easiest. Example 2 gets expensive. In either case, engine management is the key to refining and realizing volumetric efficient.

Are we getting there?

cavlino likes this.
  13. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Yup, just in case.

14. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    #14 ernie, Feb 18, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2016

For sure, that's what Tim and I are gonna test out when I get there.

15. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Agree, again.

A good pair of 200 cell metal core cats will get the job done. The problem with the stock cats is the "diffuser" right smack in the middle of the entry into the monolith chamber. It's meant to help distribute the incoming exhaust through out the cat, but all it's really doing (in my opinion) is acting like a restrictor plate. Plus the stock cats are also heavy.

16. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    I have 2 sets of really cool metal cats I will show you ernie. They are blanks need to weld flanges on 100 and 300 cell. 100 for daily 300 for smog LOL

17. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    I think I have a real old, worn out, set that the flanges can get cut off of. I'll see if I can dig them up and bring with if I find them.

18. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    Very illustrative. IIRC there is a Bosch 4 hole injector that is a direct replacement for the OE 348 injectors. Last I saw they weren't every expensive, making them a better deal overall than servicing the originals.

19. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    I know a lot of you guys are not big into originality, but anyone bringing a de-catted car into CA would love to have those converters so that they could be re-cored in order to pass the CA visual and sniffer tests. I'd respectfully submit that it would be better to make new flanges or scarf them from old test pipes, rather than to cut up old converters (assuming they are rebuildable).

20. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Yup,

Bosch GenIII EV1 4 hole. Though I don't have the part number.
    I paid about $160 for a set of eight from Osidetiger Home.

21. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    I gotcha.

Thing is, these are a way old, burned up, set that were cut up from when I first got my 348, and they do not retain the original shell. So that it why I'm not worried about cutting them up. I really saved them specifically for the flanges.

22. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    Makes perfect sense then. :)

23. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    Schweet! Those are going in when I do the engine-out service and the originals are getting mothballed. Thanks! That's a (minor) performance upgrade any owner can take advantage of since it improves efficiency all the way around. Probably improves emissions as well.

24. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Where does nitrous fit in? I'm not sure if that effect VE but make a more explosive gas. Owners who live in no smog states are lucky. People who live in the people republic of Kailfornia are not. So we unlucky need stealth power. I'm still a nitrous fan. A 10lb bottle give about 3mins of WOT which id fine for street. You can refill the 10lb bottel from a garage based D cylinder in another 10mins. You can be stealth and pass a visual by taking off some parts in about 30 mins. The replace those parts and be +100-150hp on a stock motor and even more on a smog legal built one. Then you could spin the stock motor with mods only for RPM and keep the stock ECU and tune and just delete the RPM limit.

25. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    I'm personally not a fan of nitrous, at all. It works of course but is very crude unless you get a very expensive system.

2 solenoids triggered at the same time, one fed by 900psi nitrous and the other 3 or 4 bar fuel, guess which hits first.

Second problem is you are now flowing nitrous/fuel through an intake manifold designed for dry flow. No real way to make sure you have even distribution unless you do direct port.

Either way, I've personally never seen anything harder on an engine so I will pass.