The Enzo reimagined.... Jim's Ferrari P 4/5 by Pininfarina | Page 6 | FerrariChat

The Enzo reimagined.... Jim's Ferrari P 4/5 by Pininfarina

Discussion in 'Special Projects & Concept Cars' started by MarkPDX, Feb 3, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    #126 RP, Feb 7, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. CMY

CMY F1 World Champ

Oct 15, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Patience, grasshopper. In an age of instant gratification it's kinda nice to have to wait for a change.

3. taunus

taunus Formula Junior

Jan 24, 2002
    Germany, Osnabrueck
    Full Name:
    Ansgar
    Great project, Jim !

I'm speechless.

4. Jordan Ross

Jordan Ross Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Austin
    Debatable...

You arent curious as to what is in Napolis head, to whats furrowing engineers brows in Italy? Or just not curious enough to ask...

I sure as hell am!

5. ^@#&

^@#& F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Feb 27, 2005
    he won't tell... you will just have to wait like everyone else

6. Jordan Ross

Jordan Ross Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Austin
    Yes, but you can expect posts like mine from others until August or so, might as well start now eh?

:D

7. Italteen3

Italteen3 Formula 3

Oct 14, 2005
    New York
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    WOW. This thread is simply amazing. Napolis you are a very lucky man! I am very thankful for you in sharing all these details with us, I hope all goes well and the car performs past what you want.

I read the whole thread but did not come across anything having to do with the engine, besides being Enzo based. Any increases in power, suspension, etc.?

Will this car reside in NY?

8. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    As rumors began surfacing I wanted to make sure that everyone knew what this is and isn't.

The interesting thing I'm learning is that while you can draw anything you can't drive everything. Moving from an idea/sketch to a drivable car is a huge. If you look at what the students came up with for the Ferrari contest you'll realize that looking cool is only part of it. You have to be able to fit in, see out/ operate the controls. I'm not sure that the contest designs work at that level putting aside whether or not you even like them. That's where the huge engineering comes in to play. One small example. While sitting in the interior mock up I found the interior "A Pillar" which housed the roll cage to block my vision so they had to redesign the door seals and engineer a super strength alloy roll bar that was strong but smaller in diameter to reduce the structure. It's also very interesting how a few small cms. can make a huge difference in how comfortable something like head room feels. Look at the shape of the Enzo greenhouse, lower it, make it more teardrop, make the windshield/roof/rear all glass. Make the supporting carbon fiber structure encase a full roll cage. Make it something you can see out of/drive. Easier said than done... (P 4/5 is 4 inches lower than an Enzo)

9. ^@#&

^@#& F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Feb 27, 2005
    fine I'll take a stab...

Is it a P4 revist kinda thing? A more modern P4....

10. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    As the wheels will be one off and the tires different we'll work on the suspension. We'll do a complete track test as well. Our car will be lighter.

The engine will be as in the Enzo. With less weight it should be adequate. Testing will tell us if we need to bump it up.

This one will travel but will call NY home.

11. CMY

CMY F1 World Champ

Oct 15, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Well when hints were being dropped a couple of months ago I thought this was actually two huge projects-- I'm certainly relieved that it's only one, and that this one car will have a VIN. Spend enough time in the Vintage section and you can get a pretty good idea of what goes on in Jim's head, even if it's just a peek.

I'll be on the edge of my seat in the weeks leading up to Pebble, but I really hope that Glickenhaus & Son can keep a lid on it until then. Suprises should be just that.

12. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    I'm already there! But I, too, think that the best things in life are worth waiting for. I know this won't disappoint.

13. Italteen3

Italteen3 Formula 3

Oct 14, 2005
    New York
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    Thanks for the quick reply! Hopefully one day I will catch you around a NY event. Plan on going to the Concours on the Island in the fall?

What are your performance goals for this car besides better then Enzo, if any?

14. rico

rico Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Bournemouth
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Wow! What an awesome project. Congratulations :)

15. 2JZMadison

2JZMadison Karting

Oct 15, 2004
    Madison WI
    Full Name:
    Andrew L.
    Well I'm already pee-your-pants excited. Thanks, I'll now be sleepless for another 6 months.

Napolis, thanks for sharing your information.

16. Speedracer38

Speedracer38 F1 Veteran

Oct 11, 2004
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Jason Thorgalsen
  17. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Speculated and refuted already.

This is a very interesting read. I'm with the others here who can't wait... but will wait to see and hear anything else. :cool: To my knowledge this kind of thing hasn't happened since Prince Jefri from Brunei had his AMEX Black cut up into little pieces. Also, this level of effort is certainly more daring than buying a second set of doors and chopping them up. ;)

I'd assume given who's behind it there will be plenty of documentation from start to finish on this project. Hopefully when the time is right we can all get a peek at that stuff.

I can imagine that people who aren't familiar with some of the Napolis history might be put off by the desecration of an Enzo, but it's nice to see that the crowd here is being very receptive. That says a lot I think. :)

>8^)
    ER

18. Italteen3

Italteen3 Formula 3

Oct 14, 2005
    New York
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    You say this car needs no badge to know its a Ferrari, but will it have badges? (wow now I can't find where I read that)

19. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    "What are your performance goals for this car besides better then Enzo, if any?"

To have something beautiful and usable. Something that reminds you of a glorious past but moves you into the future. Something that you can trust to get you and someone you Love down the Grand Cornish to the Hotel de Paris in time to finish your desert as the fireworks go off. Something to drive into the dawn. Not something that can beat a 1500hp Supra from the stoplight but something that brings back the memories of Nino, Lorenzo and John driving The Targa, Le Mans, and The Nuremberg Ring...

20. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    It will be documented and the Discovery Channel will probably do a documentary as well.

21. vimal_enzo

vimal_enzo Karting

Dec 4, 2004
    NZ
    Full Name:
    VMLN8R
    Woah Napolis this is really exciting. I hope everything goes well for you and your car, you are doing something no one has dared to do for a long time, it is going to be SO cool.

For years now I have redesigned modern Ferraris (albeit in my schoolbooks) and I know that your new design will have all the desirable qualities of car design. In producing your new creation, hopefully Ferrari's designers may go back to the classic, timeless and aggressive cars of their past which gave them their renowned status they have today worldwide.

Really I am envious of you. From what I have read this car will be beautiful and have superb performance on the track while being comfortable and user-friendly.

So anyway thanks for sharing this information, good luck and have fun,

Vimal

22. switchcars

switchcars Formula 3

Jul 28, 2005
    Full Name:
    Doug
    wow.....can we set that to music and put it in with a video of the soon-to-be car? I admire your goals very much, this car is going to be something else!

23. 400SPYDER

400SPYDER F1 Rookie

Jul 7, 2004
    Kent, England
    Full Name:
    kevan
    Very very eloquent Jim - I can only imagine the immense pride and pleasure you must be gaining from this extraordinary project.

Thank you so much for trying to share just a little of that with us mere mortals :):):)

24. Exotica Motorsports

Nov 1, 2003
    Washington
    Full Name:
    Jason Godsil
    This is absolutely amazing. Congratulations! I have always wanted to build my own car but the costs involved are huge. Given that you had to buy another Enzo then pay Pininfarina to design and build the car plus all the extras that most prototypes don't go through like safety testing I would assume that you are at the cost of the Enzo plus $3 million to modify it. Is this about correct? Sorry if this has already been addressed.

25. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    As Kenny sang:
    Never count your money when you're sitting at the table they'll be time enough for counting when the playings through.

That said not a bad guess.