The End of Crystal Cove? | Page 9 | FerrariChat

The End of Crystal Cove?

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by toycar, Oct 2, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LARRY ALDERSON

Apr 3, 2004
    LOS ALAMITOS, CALIF
    Full Name:
    LARRY ALDERSON
    Tom's idea for the Ford location is great and we should give it a go. If everyone would like to inspect other locations such as Balboa Pier, Dana Point harbor and Mariners church we could do that also and see which location makes the most sense. I think we would need to decide on one for the 21st and go with it then decide on the next place to inspect. Marc Greely ,Tom Shaughnessy and other spoke at lenght with John Klinard (Ford rep) today so i'm for going to Ford on the 21st.

Thanks Tom for looking into it.

Larry Alderson Family Classic Cars

2. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Yea, it seems like the Ford thing gets the vote. In terms of longevity I think this will be a good one. It doesn't make sense to go to a place and later they all of a sudden wake up and try to kibosh it. Not unless it is at a place with ocean view like CC, it might as well be at a location like Ford that has given its blessing. Just watch out for the Irvine cops ;)

3. Miura Jota

Miura Jota F1 Rookie

May 26, 2004
    Toluca , Mexico
    Full Name:
    Martin
    all of this is
    UNBELIEVABLE !!!

never shop or do any business at CC anymore.

hundreds of other Malls would be grateful with YOU guys

4. hemphillbrett

hemphillbrett Rookie

Jul 30, 2005
    There is a way to penalize the Irvine Co. - The Irvine Company makes a percentage of sales as part of the lease terms - once a business makes a certain sales figure, Irvine Co. takes a piece of the action.

Examples:
    1. Shop at the Trader Joes on West 17th Street in Costa Mesa.
    2. Buy coffee from Starbucks non-Irvine Co. owned stores/malls. That isn't hard to do.
    3. Go to South Coast Plaza Williams & Sonoma

You get the idea - BTW - has anyone noticed how Fashion Island has very few independent locally owned businesses compared to 10 years ago - Irvine Co rents are too high for the local entrepreneur to afford. One would be working for the Irvine Co rather than themselves given cost of doing business at an Irvine Co. property.

5. OCKlasse

OCKlasse Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 5, 2006
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Brandon K
    Just my two cents:

1. The TEN/PANINI/TENTATION parking lot is covered under insurance, and the owners have agreed to host the event.

2. The planes do not fly directly over the TEN location. There is NO traffic early Sat. morning on MacArthur!

3. I have never, ever seen "soot" on either my car, or anyone else cars there, ever! Would people valet their Ferraris, Bentleys, and Lamborghinis here any other day of the week expecting to find soot on their cars? It has never been an issue...I may be one of the most anal people you have ever met when it comes to my car (but hell, this is a Ferrari forum afterall), and trust me...I would make my gf drive her car every time I wanted to eat there if that was a legitimate concern.

4. At the Ford building, from what I understand, the space is available until 10:00AM. At the TEN location, there is no set end time, or even a set beginning time for that matter.

5. While some find the commute to PAG closer, I personally live much closer to the TEN location, as I am sure many of the local Crystal Cove enthusiasts do. This location is much closer than the Spectrum location and might be more user friendly for people north of CC who felt that it was too far to attend for just a few hours.

6. There are outside patios where coffee/breakfast can be enjoyed while spectating the event at the TEN location. Restrooms are available

If you want to go to the PAG building, fine. But I think the excuses for not going for the MacArthur location have no merit.

6. Da Hapa

Da Hapa Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2005
    Dana Point, CA
    Full Name:
    Christian Asis
    I live right in Dana Point, next to the harbor and while I'd readily welcome the meet moving into my front yard I seriously doubt it will work guys.

During the summer, the lots at the harbor are jammed packed. Even very early on Sat. mornings as locals and tourists come down (many leaving their cars for the Catalina Express and fishing, whale tours.).

And while the tourist traffic definitely slows during the winter, I seriously don't think there's enough parking to hold the event.

The Ford building sounds like a great idea to me.

7. shaughnessy

shaughnessy Formula 3

Apr 1, 2004
    Wolfeboro NH
    Full Name:
    Thomas E Shaughnessy

I believe the noise (exhaust notes) in the Dana Point harbor will echo and the condo/home owner may start complaining, similar to CC. Then police activity will increase, then time for a new home, again.

The exposure on city streets is absolute minimal going to Ford's PAG building, I believe 1/2 - 3/4 mile coming off the 133, and a block off I5 ALton off ramp. No homes anywhere in site. I believe Irvine Police patrols will be minimal. No where to go, no where to hide.

8. shaughnessy

shaughnessy Formula 3

Apr 1, 2004
    Wolfeboro NH
    Full Name:
    Thomas E Shaughnessy
    Entirely Incorrect

Early as 6am for set up , 7:30-11:00AM for most. No one will be pushed off after 11.

Let the event happen naturally. Really no set times

Because this is already automotive related site, lots of ideas, both new (prototype) and classic oriented for future dates are being discussed. First we need to get this off the ground. Walk before we run.

Cafeteria will be opened, with full restroom facilities.

9. SilverF20C

SilverF20C Formula 3

Jun 22, 2004
    Another sentiment of appreciation for all the generous offers on the table. There are so many positive responses to the Ford facility that it just seems to make the most sense (even if it turns out to be a temporary solution). Sounds like a good long term place though.

+1 for the Ford location

10. Da Hapa

Da Hapa Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2005
    Dana Point, CA
    Full Name:
    Christian Asis
    No offense intended to CC residents but I think you'd find a different kind of homeowner in Dana Point. The homes (even the new development hyper luxury area going in over the Chart House) are all very well removed from the parking lot at the Harbor. You'd be more likely to piss off residents at the Marriott and the hotels/motels in the harbor but I seriously doubt that would be the issue. After all, the big diesels of the fishing boats fire up all the time as well as the other pleasure craft.

Parking would be your issue in Dana Point.

And while I'm not fan of Irvine... I agree that the Ford building is an excellent suggestion.

11. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Cool, Ford is actually closer to HB then CC. 14.9 vs. 16.7 ;)

12. OCKlasse

OCKlasse Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 5, 2006
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Brandon K
    Entirely incorrect? I am only quoting your words,

"There are no noise constraints, lots of shade trees, no homes close, vintage transporters welcome, room for 400 cars!! Could have it from 7 a.m. until 10 a.m., with possibility of setting up earlier."

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39417&page=5

I never said you did not have a cafeteria or full restroom facilities. I only said that TEN has an outdoor seating area.

13. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

If we were thinking it would have been an idea to jump out of CC a week early and give everyone there a taste of what it'll be like without the car show. I'm sure you'd see a few tenants start to freak. BTW, I heard that Irvine Co. had to pay off Starbucks and Pac. Whey to not open until 9:00 AM. I like the idea of a Irvine Co. boycott and I personally plan to shop elsewhere.(well, maybe a Starbucks, but that's it) F 'em :)

14. TG

TG F1 Veteran

Oct 26, 2004
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Taylor
    Irvine Co. has been in it for a quite awhile against residents, I remember the whole Castaways proposition before it came about. I think it was that they claim they are resident friendly but still wanted to develop where it was considered a natural environment?

15. Chatis

Chatis Rookie

Feb 15, 2006
    My vote is for Ford - and thank you Ford for the offer!

However, there still seems to be some uncertainty of where everyone will go.

If Ford is a go I will post the new location on the Alfa BB and British Car Forums.

We CANNOT let CC die! We MUST make every effort to keep it going. It is a unique and marvelous weekly event. LET'S DO IT!!

16. frank4cars

frank4cars F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Frank F.
    While I agree the restaurant is a nice spot, I have so many reservations (pun intended :D ) about that location, as I believe others do. Wonderfully generous offer, but it just doesn't seem to meet all the requirements the way the Ford locale does. It looks like there's overwhelming support for having it at PAG. It seems to meet all the criteria for a meet of this size. I think if we can get a final approval from Ford, it looks like October 21 will be the first PAG meet. Thanks again to Tom and the guys at Ford for making this possible.

17. CDM

CDM Formula Junior

Oct 10, 2004
    Any candid read of the CC situation indicates it is time to move on.

Just like the end of the American Indian Golden Years, or the Airline Pilot Golden Years, etc, etc, the CC Golden Years are over.

I'm all for Ford, it makes the most sense. Parking, coffee, breakfast, restrooms and we are welcome to be there.

A word of caution: if you think the Newport Beach Police saw us a revenue steam, wait till the Irvine Police hear about us. I used to own a rental property at Fort Irvine but gave up on the city fathers and their police force.
    Gary

18. CMY

CMY F1 World Champ

Oct 15, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I'm all for the Ford/PAG location as well.. it just makes sense.

19. zoomtt

zoomtt Karting

Jun 19, 2005
    Corona
    Full Name:
    Edsel Labao
    I also vote for the Ford Location.

I spoke with a bunch of people at CC this weekend and they all agreed the ford proposal is the best.
    Some already commited to be there on the 21st. I will be there myself.

20. DaveGee

DaveGee Karting

Dec 25, 2005
    Another vote for Ford PAG here.

Pardon my cynical attitude (it's a gift), but is

>Tom Shaughnessy
    Ferrari Parts and Sales
    San Clemente CA<

a Ford employee authorized to offer the PAG building for use? No offense Tom, but I don't see anywhere in this thread where it states you are a Ford employee.

Lot's of nuts on the 'net these days (self included) - I'd hate for this to turn out to be a scam.

DaveGee

21. shaughnessy

shaughnessy Formula 3

Apr 1, 2004
    Wolfeboro NH
    Full Name:
    Thomas E Shaughnessy
    I have been authorized by Ford's public relations head and the design studio to offer this location. The building manager is also involved as well as the food concession owner. There has been a lot of work and approvals required to present this idea. Ford is supplying the parking lot and does not want or need to manage the Saturday morning informal gathering.

I am not a Ford employee. I am a very good friend of both men at Ford that are making this location possible.

Thank You

22. DaveGee

DaveGee Karting

Dec 25, 2005
    No - thank YOU Tom!

DaveGee

23. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott

Let's look at a bit of history ... to find a solution.

This event started out as an informal gathering for fun by a few friends and fellow Ferrari owners that occured durin a time that didn't conflict with the main retail purpose of the facility. This was effortless, convenient and informal and even resulted in some going on a nice drive afterwards

Then things started to balloon - there was thievery, car damage, unattended children, marque dilution (like Concours Italiano in August), and mass attendance problems.
    Can you blame the owner's for wanting to avoid the liability?

This event could probably be saved if it is moved, but to support a crowd this size it is now going to require organization.
    I'd encourgae Tom's effort to organize it, but organizing stuff like this usually turns out to be a big pain, so if you want to avoid that effort/pain then perhaps a lesson should be taken from the streeter's and start rotating it to other locations to avoid the predictability.

24. frank4cars

frank4cars F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Frank F.
    Good suggestion and that's what we've been speculating on. The CC meet was started by a few hot rodders who were fed up with the huge crowds at the Donut Derelicts meet in HB. As others saw them gathering at CC, they followed. After 3 years it got to be a little too big for its own good and started to resemble a show instead of a meet. The Ford location is perfect for hosting this size crowd but there will surely be those who are tired of the large turnout and will prefer to find their own meeting place. The Bluffs, Haus of Pizza, Tentations, other smaller car-related businesses, whatever. But for those who want a large space for regular meets, the PAG site can't be beat.

25. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    Another vote for Ford here.

I suspect that the PAG site will be a hard-core site. No tourists, lookey-loos, etc., just car guys. Likely they would be more careful/respectful when looking at the cars.

Only downside that I can see is that there might be less of Frank and Jays "human interest" shots :)

Dom