The End of Crystal Cove? | Page 8 | FerrariChat

The End of Crystal Cove?

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by toycar, Oct 2, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    With all the money of all the guys that show up there I wonder have you thought of just buying the place, maybe there could be all atuomobilia stores there!

2. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Sure, a few "IRVINE COMPANY, YOU SUCK!!" can't hurt. :)

3. nocturne1

nocturne1 Formula 3

Sep 8, 2004
    Foothill Ranch, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Make sure you toss me the keys to the F430 before you get hauled away by the cops... ;)

4. charlie_ludden

charlie_ludden F1 Rookie

Nov 12, 2005
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Charles
    umm...if I supply megaphone, ill have to intercept and catch those keys :)

5. TG

TG F1 Veteran

Oct 26, 2004
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Taylor
    I say we all do something for this weekend's CC to make it one to remember. Not saying in a bad way at all, but just something..

6. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!

You're probably right. However, like the lady sang, "Let's give em sumthang to talk about about."

Dale

7. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    Every Saturday, we all need to drive by CC at 7am at full speed in 1st gear This should still be within the speed limit, AND continue to piss off the neighbors. After 3 months of this, they should be used to getting up early and so the idea of CC will no longer be about noise. lol

FiGhT ThE SyStEm!!!

h@x0rs unite!

8. shaughnessy

shaughnessy Formula 3

Apr 1, 2004
    Wolfeboro NH
    Full Name:
    Thomas E Shaughnessy
    The Ford Motor Car Company Premier Automotive Group ("PAG") building --- North American home of Aston Martin, Jaguar, Land Rover, Volvo and Ford's Advanced Design Studio and centrally located in the middle of the Irvine Spectrum --- is available to host this Saturday morning event. They have a fabulous cafeteria that can be opened.

I am looking for input if this location can fill the void. It certainly is suitable. Ford owns and manages the property.

There are no noise constraints, lots of shade trees, no homes close, vintage transporters welcome, room for 400 cars!! Could have it from 7 a.m. until 10 a.m., with possibility of setting up earlier.

Location is intersection of Alton and Gateway, right on the 5 Freeway, one mile north of the El Toro Y where the 405 and 5 meet. Right by the Spectrum Center (go there after this event!).

I need feedback!! I will also be at CC in the morning to discuss this possibility.

Ford says it is a go (the Ford building is full of auto enthusiasts, many of whom attend Crystal Cove on Saturdays), if there is enough interest.

9. nocturne1

nocturne1 Formula 3

Sep 8, 2004
    Foothill Ranch, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    As stated in the other thread, +1 for the Ford idea. Don't want to have to go through outgrowing the location again....

10. OCKlasse

OCKlasse Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 5, 2006
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Brandon K
    ATTENTION ALL CRYSTAL COVE ATTENDEES

My father, Larry Kordower, General Manager of the Ten Restaurant Group (www.tenrestaurantgroup) has just announced that he be the new host for the Saturday morning Crystal Cove meetings. The Ten Restaurant group is located at 4647 MacArthur Boulevard Newport Beach, CA 92660. This location is perfect because it has a huge parking lot, and is located in an area with no residential restrictions (meaning no hassle from the police or anyone, it is in a business district). The parking lot is located two minutes away from John Wayne Airport, off the corner of MacArthur and Campus drive. Please send this out to as many people as you can. If anyone organizing the event has any questions, please feel free to call my father, Larry Kordower at (949)-290-9466 (cell). This will go into effect starting Saturday, October 21st at 7:00 A.M., and will be a weekly event with no ending time (stay as long as you want). Pass it on!

11. shaughnessy

shaughnessy Formula 3

Apr 1, 2004
    Wolfeboro NH
    Full Name:
    Thomas E Shaughnessy
    #186 shaughnessy, Oct 6, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  12. frank4cars

frank4cars F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Frank F.
    I think I'm going to have to vote for Tom's plan and have it at Ford. What an incredible location, and they are car guys! Would make it a heck of a lot easier to get to from the freeways and there is tons of room there if we include the Mazda lot that abutts it. Spectrum just across the way has other food options and it is close to a bunch of auto related places that might be more likely to drag out some really cool stuff. Not to mention what might be lurking inside the host building. :)

13. dynwolf

dynwolf Rookie

Sep 16, 2005
    Orange County, CA
    I have to say, (in a thinly veiled attempt to elevate my pathetic post count) that I think the Ford idea is the best one we've seen yet.

(No offense to the Ten Restaurant Group Idea implied - I think it's fabulous to see people willing to step up and find alternate solutions.)

TestShoot - I suggested a similar idea (though using 2nd gear) and got smacked down, "It's exactly that kind of attitude that damages these events". (Or something to that effect.) In retrospect, probably not my best idea, but still mildly amusing.

JM

14. bushwhacker

bushwhacker In Memoriam

May 25, 2006
    Phoenix Az.
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    My vote goes to PAG (Premier Automotive Group) Ford complex.

It's new!
    It has class! Beautiful complex,
    It's freeway friendly,
    It's in the Spectrum industrial area / no traffic on weekends or residential hang ups,
    It's close to the Spectrum restaurants/ center,
    It has the space to show more cars and room for spectator parking,
    It has no time restraints, so maybe we can sleep in a little and start a tad later, say 8:00 a.m.? (8-10, We don't have to be out for the shops to open like CC, or get up at 4:30 a.m. in order to line up or get a spot.
    It's all about the "Car".

What do we do for coffee / food / restrooms?

15. shaughnessy

shaughnessy Formula 3

Apr 1, 2004
    Wolfeboro NH
    Full Name:
    Thomas E Shaughnessy
    HANDLED!!!!!!!!!! Already thought out

No worries! Just come! You won't be disappointed!

16. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Tom, where ever you go, I'll follow.

/mental image of old beat up dude swinging a broom at a few crumbs/

Dale

17. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    Another vote for the Ford building. Its a fantastic location!

18. nocturne1

nocturne1 Formula 3

Sep 8, 2004
    Foothill Ranch, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    I think this is totally ideal. I can only imagine the special kind of stuff the Ford guys will be able to drag out for us. Obviously not the same thing, but I've been to a special event at the Mazda R&D facility (Sevenstock), and it was incredible the historic rare roadgoing and race cars, as well as preproduction design studies they were able to show off. Being able to potentially see some incredible stuff from Aston or Jag (or heck, even historic Fords) would be amazing. And oh yeah, it was pretty damn cool when the GR-1 was brought to CC as well!

Physically, a place that can handle thousands of employees will have the resources to support something like this as well. Much more than a strip mall ever could. Good ingress, egress, as well as wide open roads around it too.

As long as there isn't blatant favoritism (not allowing a competitive prototype in), salespeople pushing cars, or a lot full of new mustangs (not that I think any of those things will happen), I think that this has the best chance for letting the magic of CC continue.

19. shaughnessy

shaughnessy Formula 3

Apr 1, 2004
    Wolfeboro NH
    Full Name:
    Thomas E Shaughnessy
    Ford has welcomed other design center employees and ideas of displays from other manufacturers in the future, being discussed. The door, or in this case parking lot, is wide open. The PAG building is not filled with a Ford Salesmen (salesperson) Team, but many true automotive enthusiasts, that show up at CC regularly.

There are many different flavors of ice cream other than the ones they produce.

To quote Freeman Thomas " It is ALL good!!!!!!!! "

Do not worry about this being a Ford Family Event. This is about the car culture and the passion for the automobile in southern California, and our host(s) get it!

20. jaysport

jaysport Rookie

Aug 14, 2005
    Seal Beach
    Full Name:
    Jay V.
    Nearly each week for the the past 3 years I've looked forward to the Saturday morning drive down PCH from Seal Beach to CC. Whether it was a fogged in winter morning or a clear summer day, the drive down PCH always provided those moments that make living in soCal special. Seeing a winter's sunrise reflect off the waters of the Bolsa Chica wetlands, watching the surfers in HB while waiting at a stoplight, giving a wide berth while passing one of the local cycling clubs on their morning ride, being passed by a big block 'vette or an XK120, knowing I'll be able to see that fine machine at rest at Crystal Cove. The drive to CC wasn't just another dull commute along a monotonous freeway, it was a time to enjoy driving to a destination where fellow enthusiasts could share their passion. What other remarkable cars would appear this week? A Lusso, 250 TR, or Enzo, a D-Type, XJ220 or a blower Bentley? Maybe all of them, maybe none of them. Some Saturdays were definitely better than others, but all were worth the trip. I knew the end was near when someone trailered in a race car and revved that beast to its redline several times that morning. I'm saddened but not shocked that the Irvine Co. is shutting down what has become an internationally known event. I'll wear black these next two Saturdays, and maybe on the 21st I'll drive down to CC at 9am for old time's sake.

21. frank4cars

frank4cars F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Frank F.
    Very well said and welcome aboard Jay. After you stop at CC, just continue down PCH a few more miles and take Broadway/Laguna Canyon (133) up past the 405 to Alton. Hang a right and you'll see the Ford building on the left. Slightly longer but even more beautiful drive. :)

22. bushwhacker

bushwhacker In Memoriam

May 25, 2006
    Phoenix Az.
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    A couple of things to consider about the McCarther blvd. / Orange County Airport restaurant location.
    The noise from takeoffs and landings is not the most contemplative environment in which to view and talk about fine automobiles especially on a Sat. morning. Also that wonderful JP4 (jet fuel) when mixed with early a.m. coastal mist makes for a really black cruddy muck. How many of you have ever parked at the OC airport outside parking lot.
    Traffic can also be a pain on McCarther Blvd. coming and going from the airport, again on a Sat. morning.
    The liability issue could rear it's head again here, just as it has at CC, especially with no RAC's on location. Finally, it just doesn't have the quality environment as we had at CC or the "Ford" facility for that matter.
    Obviously, what ever location ends up being the CC replacement the local provider stands to make a few thousand $ in "Latte" $. The Ford location still has the most to offer so far. Just my 2 cents worth.

23. Boltnbrew

Boltnbrew Rookie

Jun 5, 2005
    And another vote for the Ford building! While I genuinely appreciate the private parties that have stepped up, there will ultimately be limits in terms of area, trash or liability concerns. Let's try the Ford building for a while and see how it goes. It's not as if everyone will vaporize if something doesn't click immediately. It took time to get CC to what it is today, and it will take time anywhere else.

Just my $0.02

24. dan993

dan993 Karting

Jan 16, 2005
    O.C.
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Had the opportunity to speak with the gentlemen from Ford this morning (as many others did and who will certainly check in later).

My vote is for Ford. So many positives with this venue, as noted in previous posts.

25. CDM

CDM Formula Junior

Oct 10, 2004
    I vote for Ford, and thanks to those for organizing it.

While I'm grateful to the Orange Co. Airport group for making an offer, what the gentleman said about fog and aircraft soot is important.

I paid $1,000 to have my 36 Tiara beautifully detailed then went to boat on a Saturday morning and I could write my name in the soot that clung to the wax. The boats appearance was actually worse than before it was detailed.

Not that it is an issue for the exotic car owners, but for the rest of us, the great unwashed, I'm guessing a corporate cafeteria is dirt cheap, they usually are.

DISCLAIMER: THE FIRST CAR I OWNED WAS A 1949 FORD COUPE IN 1952. :)