The Dino cars | FerrariChat

The Dino cars

Discussion in '206/246' started by Blowfield, Aug 3, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Blowfield

Blowfield Rookie

Jul 23, 2004
    So, the Dino cars have been very successful selling many more models than the 12s but are they real Ferraris? Ferraris that Enzo envisioned and wanted his name on? To Enzo it took 12 cylinders to earn the right to be called Ferrrari.

The 246, 3x8s,355, 360 are all Dinos, Enzo had wanted a separate brand dedicated to his son Dino, not quite a real Ferrari in his idea but a Jr model as quoted in the 245 GT brochure "Almost a Ferrari", and the Dino name was used so the Ferrari name would not be lessened.

Ferrari SPA quickly learned the Dino name did not sell as well or sound as good as Ferrari so Dinos were rebadged Ferrari in '75 but they are the Dino series and a continuation of it up to the 360 and now the 430.

2. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    huh? The Dino Ferrari that was rebadged was the 308GT4. This was done because of slow sales due to the styling of the car, and the fact that the Dino name was not well knowen. Also the Ferrari dealers that were selling them were complianing of slow sales. So Ferrari decided to rebadge the cars with Ferrrai emblem's. But the door tag's on ALL 308GT4's say manufactured by Ferrrai S.P.A so they ARE Ferrari's just badged as Dino's in memory of his son. Ferrari dropped the Dino line with the introduction of the 308GTB/GTS.

3. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON

GET OFF THE SAUCE, ASAP!!!!!

4. barchetta

barchetta Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003
    Frank, Frank, is that you? :)

5. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    Oh boy, here we go with the "a real Ferrari has only 12 cylinders" thread...

:)

Keep in mind, Ferrari had numerous racing successes with 4, 6, 8 and currently 10 cylinder engines.

6. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
  7. FL 355

FL 355 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2002
    Ft Laud
    Full Name:
    Frank Lipinski
    So the F-40 is a dino? The number of cylinders has nothing to do with it.

In a very loose interpretation, the Dino is to Ferrari what the 914 is to Porsche. Technically, it is not a Ferrari because the engine was built by Fiat.

To Enzo the production of the car was very personal. The high performance V6 was produced to commemorate his son, who died in 1956.

Dino suffered from muscular dystrophy and earned a degree in engineering. While bed stricken Dino, his father and Vittorio Jano designed a 1.5 liter racing engine. Dino’s design was written and published in Velocita, the Italian racing magazine.

5 months after his son died, Enzo developed the 156 engine. In fact, Ferrari developed an entire line of Dino engines over a 10 year period for Formula 1, Formula 2, sports racing and GT road cars.

Production started in 1969 at Scaglietti with the aluminum body 206GT. It was the first production run with cars having “even” chassis and the first not to have the Cavallino badge or Ferrari name on it. It simply had Dino GT on it. Any cars that did have a badge were added by the dealer, not the factory.

So…it is not the number of cylinders that makes a F-Car – a Dino has an engine built by Fiat and bears the name Dino.

8. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

#8 dm_n_stuff, Aug 5, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Geez, I dunno, my Dino has internal badges all over it that say Ferrari, there's one sitting in the FERRARI Dealer up the street from me for sale, hmmm.....Drives like a Ferrari, sounds like a Ferrari, must be a Ferrari.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. Steve B

Steve B Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2003
    Naperville
    Full Name:
    Steven L. Biagini
    The 246 Dinos had no Ferrari badges on them as they came from the factory. Many Dinos have had Ferrari and prancing horse badges put on them by owners and maybe even dealers.

However, to my knowledge, all of the design and engineering were done by Ferrari, including the design of the engine. I believe that the only work done outside of the normal Ferrari chain is the building of the engines by Fiat, in accordance with the Ferrari design. That engine was also used in the Fiat Dino.

As to racing pedigree, I believe that Ferrari has won F1 championships with V-10s, V-6s, flat 12s, and maybe V-8s, but it has never won the F1 championship with a V-12 (although it has won many sports car racing titles with the V-12).

However, I believe that the real test of whether or not the Dino is a Ferrari is the test of the marketplace. In this forum, the Dino is unquestionably considered to be a real Ferrari, as they sell for more than Boxers.

10. ghenne

ghenne Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 8, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Some of the early glass 308s had "Dino" on their engine plate under the hood.

11. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

#11 dm_n_stuff, Aug 5, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    They do, however, have Ferrari badges inside them, which is the point I was trying to make. Engine compartment, door, etc.

Ferrari went to Fiat for manufacture of the engin in order to produce the 500 necessary in a short time fram to homologate it for racing. The engine was not much of a success on the track, but it does a hell of a job in this little Ferrari.

The original brochures read "Almost a Ferrari" in the copy. Enzo was trying to create a car that would compete with the 911 and be more affordable.

The 911S of the time is a little quicker, but, who can argue which car is beautiful, and which looks like a squashed bug.

12. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    So the Dino occupied the same niche that Maserati does today.

BTW, I think on the VbD DVD Alain de Cadenet said that the V6 from the Dino went into the Lancia Stratos and won the World Rallye Championship for 2 years.

13. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    They're all FIATs just as Chevrolets are all GMs.

14. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    Are those US import labels? (Built as a Dino, imported as a Ferrari?)

That same V6 mill was used in the Lancia Stratos -- so Fiat didn't just build them for Ferrari.

15. PerryJ

PerryJ Formula 3

Jun 5, 2003
    N. Alabama
    Full Name:
    John Perry
    dm_n_stuff, I gotta tell ya, I think you car is one of the prettiest ferraris I have ever seen the lines of those things never cease to amaze me..............

It has always seemed funny/disgusting to me that this, "the Dino is not a Ferrari" debate even exist.......... THE car that Enzo himself viewed worthy enough to be named in honor of his son (the son that he loved so much that he visited his grave EVERDAY, prior to going to the factory for the rest of his life) I can't even fathom how some people have the nerve to even ask such a question (is the Dino a REAL ferrari?) I'm sure Enzo would never have imagined such a controversy over this most personal decision of his...............IMHO it should be the other way around, is any other Ferrari worthy enough to be called a Dino ?.....................

16. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Dave, i would like to have sex with your car...

:D

17. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    "To Enzo it took 12 cylinders to earn the right to be called Ferrrari."

You knew him? He tell you that? How come he made 12 cyl. Dino's?

18. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    (Said in good humor) WOW! And all this time i felt Dino was Fred Flinstone's per dinosaur.

i don't care what the Dino is, it looks great to me.

19. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

He also made 6 cly formula 1 cars, but hey, I guess he did not consider them Ferraris either. Oops already stated above.

20. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth

21. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

22. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2003
    Brooklandville, MD
    Full Name:
    Ira Schwartz
    Ken- I owned an original, unrestored 246 GTS for many years, and I'm quite sure that Dave is right, as my car had exactly the same "Ferrari" stuff. Now the long "F" badge on the rear of my car was added by the dealer, but the "inside" stuff is original. FWIW, I've had several Ferraris over quite a few years, and that 246 was the prettiest to look at and, in some ways, the nicest to drive.

23. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Don't get busted by the cops for vehicular sodomy. :p

24. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    "Son of Frank"

25. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    I agree; the 246 is one of my faves too. But unless you picked up your car in Italy, I still say the door badge that says "Ferrari" was also likely added by your dealer and not done at the factory. I wonder if anyone has a 'Dino" door tag?

Ken