The cost/financial data for the Mercedes 2019 title | Page 2 | FerrariChat

The cost/financial data for the Mercedes 2019 title

Discussion in 'F1' started by DF1, Sep 5, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Precisely, there lies the problem. How much of the chassis design, suspension configuration and electronics etc etc is apportioned to the engine department.
    Its a futile ruling.
    Best
    tony

william likes this.
  2. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I don't think the FIA will be able to enforce rigourously the budget cap.
    I would like to know how they will try anyway.
    The big players will soon find loopholes, and it will be a fight between clever accountants and budget inspectors.
    Another layer of regulations has been invented, IMO, making F1 less palatable.

TonyL likes this.
  3. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    The only way to enforce a ''budget cap'' is to simplify the sport, everywhere. Simple wings front and rear. Simple floors. Simple brake ducts. No barge boards. No aero bits stuck on the car wherever. No slots and holes anywhere you like. Simple engines.

That way, a team very well could employ 2000 people if they want to, but any performance gain would be so minimal they'll soon see that it's futile to employ that many, and some sanity will return.

As for decrease of speed that'll inevitably come up...simple solution is to have ground effect on the cars (again, without added holes and tricks), The speed relative to todays cars is as simple as how effective the ground effect will be made. For me, I think F1 will stand to gain something by having (far) less aero (whether that's clean aero or not....fact of the matter is cars with less downforce are more entertaining to watch!)

4. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

You keep peddling the same ideas over and over again, but this is not the issue here.
    The question was how they are going to enforce a budget cap.

5. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    they can't, for the exact reasons you stipulated earlier.

It is WAY to easy, especially for the bigger teams, to ''hide'' the money.

6. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Simple wings: check
    Simple brake ducts: check
    Simple floors: No, the floor must go--use the convex hull definition. Without floors, barge boards don't buy much, no t-tray, no under-the nose aero,....

And restrict Wheelbase to 96 inches.

7. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I'm fine with that, too. Only thing F1 needs to be from my opinion is fastest single seater series over a lap (that said I wonder why, Indycar far more entertaining racing and they're much slower over a lap, lol).

8. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    It's simple, it's a specs series ! Specs series offer more contested racing.
    All the drivers have the same car, so only skill matters.
    Also lap speed has no relevance on the quality of entertainment.

9. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Indycar was ALSO more entertaining back when there were 6 different motors and 20 different chassis (mid 1960s). It was rife with creative designs on limited budgets.

It got somewhat routine in the 1980s with CART, and then when they fell apart (at Texas) when the cars would produce 4+Gs of cornering and had drivers faint........

IRL picked up the pieces, but was never as good as it was when roadsters were converting into mid engined cars.

Bas likes this.
  10. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    read what I wrote!