THE COSMIC SIGNIFICANCE OF THE 2020 CORVETTE | Page 2 | FerrariChat

THE COSMIC SIGNIFICANCE OF THE 2020 CORVETTE

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by bitzman, Jul 26, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. darkkaangel

darkkaangel Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2007
    North Texas
    Full Name:
    Jeff
  2. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I have 2 real comments:

1) THIS is what the NSX should have been -- but with a lighter twin cam V6 and a manual box. I have no idea what Honda was thinking with this new NSX
    2) It shows that Ferrari's decision to not reintroduce the Dino was a mistake. Put a Dino badge on this car with a turbo V6, clean up the styling a bit and charge $130K and sell them all day long.

3. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I don't believe it at all. First GM has no idea how many real cars they have on order yet. Second the dealers are also writing their own orders to sell on the showroom floor.

Third the change over for 2020 MY is going to be in Jun /July. So you're only looking at a half year production during a ramp up period.

Every new Ferrari comes with the mandatory announcement "sold out for the next two years" yet we can still get them. It's marking BS.

4. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    The financial crisis of 2008 is what messed up the NSX. Honda had a nice car under development in 2005/2006 that was pretty much old school taken to the next level and very nice looking. I was anxious for that car to go into production as I was planning on getting one back then. The financial crisis caused the NSX to be cancelled. Once the financial crisis passed, the NSX was resurrected as a completely different vehicle not appealing to me and about 50% over priced. Now, the NSX is getting long in the tooth and production is essentially build to order and sales remain dismal. Honda certainly lost its way on the NSX. The Corvette is going to eat the NSX's lunch.

jm2 and G. Pepper like this.
  5. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    To me the new Supra shows the Japanese are not good desigers as far as styling. Engineering, yes. But if you look at some of the best looking Japanese cars, like the 2000GT, that was a German who did that, plus one Lexus was designed by Guigaro *from a Jaguar one off he designed). My impression on my several trips to Japan was they don't see a car by itself enough against nature to appreciate pure form. So they load up a car with cliches.Even as busy as the new Corvette is, it's too bold for a Japanse design. Even the roof of the NSX is too tall, the we-don 't-want-to-offend tall-Americans whereas we are willing to crouch low to get into a car if the driving is worth it.

boxerman likes this.
  6. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I guess you’ve never seen an NSX in person. I was so shocked by how much it appealed to me visually and proportionally that I bought one.

7. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    As for the Supra, it is probably more of a California thing than a Japanese thing regarding styling. See link below on the background of the design creation. However, I'm sure executives in Japan had the final go/no go say.

I believe the NSX had a similar story.

https://www.automobilemag.com/news/2020-toyota-supra-design-interview/

8. 11506apollo

11506apollo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2008
    Tx Co Ca
    The C8 does not appeal to me because it no longer look like a Corvette, instead looks like a variety of mid engine sports cars, which have been around for many many years, so to me its just another low front end wedge shaped full of creases and sharp angles, but I admit the price is attractive and it will be seen in vast numbers
    What really appeals to me is a Viper GTS....thats the one I am searching for at the moment Cheers

9. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I've said this before and I can really see a kind of "rif" between the FE and ME groups. There is no right or wrong answer. Some like one over the other but there are some Vette fans who think this is the end of the world for Corvette -- no front engine and no manual followed soon by a hybrid and maybe all electric. And its never coming back.

I can see your point exactly.

10. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Will they change their minds if there's a close to1000 HP version?
    Hybrid/ICE ala SF90/LaFerrari
    Just askin'

11. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    If Chevrolet was smart. And really wanted to cultivate Corvette and the brand overall...this could be their Ferrari moment when they restrict supply.
    "One less than demand". Per Enzo.
    Or they could go after every single nickle on the floor and thus dilute the appeal.
    Like everything else they produce.

12. LightGuy

Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    I would buy a used Gen 2 NSX at 85K over a new C8 at the same price.

Strangely enough even though the lack of NSX sales, and the initial deep discounting, the used car prices have stabilized.
    Weird.
    I could have picked up a new 2017 FULLY loaded black one for 135K in summer of 2018.
    Now used ones with the same options sell for the same 135K.

DOH !!

But IMO the C8 will devastate NSX sales even further.
    Honda should have built the car in carbon fiber.

13. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    But here is the problem.

Chevy has promised GM "X" amount of sales to justify all their investment in Bowling Green and this car. Dealers are looking at interest and will be over buying them from GM.

FNA has a specific plan and, because sales are smaller, can adjust quota more easily. We've seen this in F dealer where they say their quota is being cut back. And because they restrict who they can sell to, it's easier to control inventory. GM is not going to tell a dealer that they shouldn't order 30 cars if they want to order 30 cars. Some dealers have spring quotas over 1400! You miss your target by 10% and that's a lot of cars to move.

The example now is Chevy says it has about 5000 unsold C7's of various types. At the current rate, that's like a 6 month supply. The only way to get rid of those is massive discounts which will kill C7 resales values.

They only knew the C8 was coming ... 4 years ago!

14. LightGuy

Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Want exclusivity ?
    Buy a Donkervoort of any age and have it shipped here.
    Seriously.
    I think there are a dozen in this country.
    Or a Lotus 7/Caterham of which there are hundreds.

Dirt simple.
    Way outside the box.
    True enthusiasts get them.

15. LightGuy

Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    #40 LightGuy, Aug 2, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
    New C7 manual shift Corvette the new car investment of the century ?

16. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I think the Auto 8 was a dud. I can't see a lot of people really wanting them in the future.

thecarreaper likes this.
  17. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    The C6 A6 is simple, fast enough and has almost no issues. I had the software update done on mine. I have read some sad threads on the vette forum about the issues with the earlier A8 customer cars. I would think Late C6 LS3 Grand Sport and C7 manual cars will hold their value once the market stabilizes. Unless we hit another recession in the next 2-3 years.

18. Ls-Swapped360

Ls-Swapped360 Rookie

Aug 20, 2019
    Full Name:
    Sean Liu
    Exactly what I was thinking, probably run you $6-7k more than cash if your doing the lease over 36 months. Added bonus of having peace of mind hooning your Corvette on a racetrack :D. Apples to apples though, I would say the new Corvette is like a Grand Seiko watch, a great performer, but not something that will attract oodles of attention. The Ferrari on the other hand is a diamond encrusted Patek.

19. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    ^^^^
    So, do want a great car or attention or both?
    I'll guarantee the C8 will get you all the attention you desire unless you live in L.A. On second thought, a C8 will be more rare in L.A. than a Ferrari....

boxerman likes this.
  20. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    Honda answered the question no one asked with the NSX. It's too bad, it's clearly a very good car, but Honda did just about everything wrong on the introduction and the car never got over it. The NSX 4 year (!) roll out will be studied for decades in business schools as how to NOT do it. Then the dealers thought they had a Golden Goose and charged crazy ADM's so the car became a $200K+ car rather than a $150K car and that was it.

TheMayor likes this.
  21. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    CF yes lighter
    And without being a hybrid(lighter). And with more cohesive design.
    In other words the japnaese 150k answer to Mclaren

22. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    We dont know the C8 is a great performer yet. We're assuming that the vette team who has a lot of talent can make a 3600lbs car dance like one 500lbs lighter.

Funny how we all throw around the term performance like it has the same measure.
    But yes for 90% of buyers the 2020 car will be fatser than needed, handle better, and have the requisite comforts.,

I think the C8 will be great for what it is, a rather large ME car designed to work as a Gt. Further oiterations may expand the bandwidth in different directions.

Interesting how C&D did a ride along in a me vette. they said it turned in like the c7 never could and you could put the power down way before, whereas a c7 would get all squrily. So all of a sudden the C7 was not so great and the C8 is. Ill bet all the magazine article will hail it as the next comming, how it resolves the failings of the c7 which they forgot to mention before.

Interesting your Grand Seiko anology. The Millenials love a Grand Seiko, diamond watches not so much. They also like 911s.

23. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    ^^^^
    I'm certain that all the car mags were VERY forthright about the C7's plusses and minuses, starting with the universal agreement that the LOWEST powered (and priced) ultra performance C7 (the GS) was the BEST C7. To suggest that they weren't truthful tells me you never actually read the reviews

24. Donatella

Donatella Karting

Aug 26, 2007
    US
  25. Scudmsl

Scudmsl Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 12, 2014
    USA
    I used to work for GM back in the dark days and they have come a long way with the C8...and with the latest Cadillacs as well. I still plan to overpay for F cars for all the obvious reasons, but the next generation of buyers will be very different. I just picked up an M5 Competition for a daily driver and the dealer was very concerned about the C8’s impact on BMW sales...