The Canadian Grand Prix! | Page 12 | FerrariChat

The Canadian Grand Prix!

Discussion in 'Canada' started by hockeyman1, Apr 29, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rush109

rush109 F1 Veteran

May 26, 2005
    Montreal, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Joshua McRae
    REGARDLESS of the topic of this thread! LOOK of for a group of guys with BIG cams, that will be Stephan and Me and a few others! come say hi!!!

2. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato

Sorry to let you down, but i didnt merge anything Bernie.

But thanks for the pot shots between you and Vasco.

3. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    Anytime Rickster! :D

One round on me at the Ferrari Fest in Ottawa....

...if I'm there. :rolleyes:

4. Carrera_gtcrazy

Carrera_gtcrazy F1 Veteran

Oct 24, 2004
    Munich, Germany
    Full Name:
    Stephan Bauer
    Make sure to bring your cellphone and CAA card this time! ;)

5. bernardo66

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    #280 bernardo66, Apr 1, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. Z400Central

Z400Central Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2003
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Steve C
    Hey Guys,

Anyone have recommendations on where to stay in terms of hotel, area, etc?

Thanks!

7. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    I was about to tell you where I stayed for the race a couple of years ago but I've forgotten its name - sorry - there are however loads of threads about this if you search on 'Montreal Hotel' - you may find it hard to get a reservation however - its a fairly small place so anywhere downtown should work ok

8. starboy444

starboy444 F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Lucas
    About a 100 Hotels in the Downtown area.

69$ a night will get you the EconoLodge underneath the highway underpass, and next to a bad strip joint.

$569 a night will get you the Hotel Vogue, downtown next to the action, and you may even be in the washrooms taking a leak next to Felipe Massa.

One piece of advice....Book ASAP !!

9. lambo1

lambo1 Karting

Jan 20, 2004
    Book closest to Super Sex

10. ClassicFerrari

ClassicFerrari F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco
    This is true! :)

11. bernardo66

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    The Merger strikes again!!!

12. ClassicFerrari

ClassicFerrari F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco
    This is true!

Bernie, maybe i'm wrong here. Every year there are dozens of threads about the same thing such as the CDN GP. Does is not makes sense rolling it into one thread? One easy to find source? But I guess I am just a neat freak. :)

Go look at some boobies or something!

....actually I will do the same :D:D:D

13. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    I'll be there! Time to book the hotel though, tickets are done :)

14. lashss

lashss F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    DC
    Full Name:
    LSJ
    Guys, many of you have joined us from the Mid Atlantic region over the years. I'd like to extend an invite to join us for two events during the GP weekend in Montreal.

KARTING

There is reserved space for 12 at Kart O Mania. The session is one hour
    which includes practice and qualifying. This is Saturday, June 7 at
    6:30pm.

www.kart-o-mania.ca

SUNDAY DINNER

There will be a group dinner for anyone interested on Sunday, June 8th
    at 7:00pm. This will be at Jardin Nelson in the Old Port section of the
    city. We've been here seven times and it is fantastic. Again,
    the reservation will be under my name and "Ferrari Club".

http://www.jardinnelson.com/english/index1.htm

We will be on the balcony, outdoors, as usual.

Please send an RSVP (send email to [email protected]) for karting or dinner Sunday night so I can include
    you on our guest list!

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
    LS

15. lashss

lashss F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    DC
    Full Name:
    LSJ
    Guys, we still have some spots for the Sunday dinner...anyone interested in joining us?

LS

16. jack1999

jack1999 Formula Junior

Nov 28, 2003
    toronto
    hi
    does anyone know what kind of car event that will take place during the weekend?

if so, when and where?

last year, they had alot of Fcars on the street, and mclaren f1 gtr was on display somewhere. hope they do the same

thanks

17. chris marsh

chris marsh F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2005
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Chris Marsh
    I'll be there but don't want to hang around on Sunday. Have to drive back to Detroit.

Anyone meeting up Friday or Saturday?

18. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
  19. b-mak

b-mak F1 Veteran

Does Homeland Security know all you Americans are leaving the country?

20. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Yes, they implant a tracking device where they monitor both location and conversations. The only way to rid yourself is mass quantities of alcohol to short circuit the system and strippers to rub the device off. Works every time!

21. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Hi there
    my wife and I are flying in on friday at 5:00 pm
    we are at the Best Western on rue Peel
    just wondering if this is a good general location to take in the festivities

Thanks in advance

22. rush109

rush109 F1 Veteran

May 26, 2005
    Montreal, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Joshua McRae
    Stanley street at 530PM today...60 fcars will be parking there...

Tomorow same time...little Italy...Lambos from John Scotti will be there as well as the entire ZR crew (2 Enzos, IMSA Gcar...and so on!)

23. b-mak

b-mak F1 Veteran

Is that the special RFID-S they keep talking about?

24. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Where is 'little Italy'?

25. b-mak

b-mak F1 Veteran

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20080605/sex_trade_080605/20080605?hub=TopStories

Grand Prix brings women into Montreal's sex trade
    Updated Thu. Jun. 5 2008 7:20 AM ET
    The Canadian Press

"The Canadian Grand Prix weekend means big business for Montreal's sex trade as partying race fans roar into the city on their annual pilgrimage.

Experts say major international sporting events, such as the World Cup and the Olympics, up the demands for young, female prostitutes.

Montreal's annual high-octane extravaganza is no exception, but many of the sex workers who are used to fill the commercial void are unwilling participants, human rights activists say.

Sharon DiFruscia, who's part of a Montreal coalition against human trafficking, said most of the women are exploited as sex slaves.

"Not only in Montreal, but for large sporting events, it's a well-known fact that many women are brought in to the city," said DiFruscia, adding it's difficult to estimate just how many.

"Some of these women are from other countries, but some of them are from our own country."

A Canadian expert on human trafficking says a U.S. report on the global issue released Wednesday shows Canada looks good on paper, but still has a long way to go to stamp it out.

"The bad news is we've not been able to turn our tough talk on human trafficking into action," UBC law professor Benjamin Perrin told The Canadian Press.

"We know that human trafficking is continuing to flourish in Canada and that it's one of the most serious crimes in our country and a fundamental abuse of human rights."

The annual U.S. State Department report said Canada complies with the "minimum standards," but it also criticizes the country for lacking punch.

"Over the last year, Canada increased victim protection and prevention efforts, but demonstrated limited progress on law-enforcement efforts against trafficking offenders," the document says.

Perrin, who was consulted on the report, said Canada has the basic framework in place to combat human trafficking and protect its victims, but more effort is needed.

He also said Canada has lagged when it comes to rounding up sex tourists, who travel abroad abusing children. Perrin said sex tourism drives human trafficking around the world.

Canada, meanwhile, has convicted only one person in the last decade on sex-tourism charges, he said.

"We've really fallen behind globally in preventing our child-sex offenders from exploiting children in impoverished countries overseas," said Perrin, the founder of The Future Group, a non-governmental organization dedicated to ending human trafficking.

The report says most of the women and children exploited in Canada are trafficked primarily from Asia and eastern Europe.

Perrin said many of these foreigners enter Canada on student and working visas or by posing as a relative of someone already in the country.

"It really runs the gamut, there's been no limit to the creativity that traffickers have used to secure the entry of their victims into our country," he said.

He said most trafficked individuals in Canada face psychological and physical threats from their captors. Many don't speak English or French and have been told they will be charged if they go to the authorities.

"It makes human trafficking one of the most under-reported and hard to investigate criminal offences in our entire Criminal Code," Perrin said.

He said a 2004 RCMP estimate states about 600 people are trafficked to Canada for sexual exploitation each year, while another 1,500 to 2,200 are brought through the country on their way to the United States.

Perrin also said major international sporting events, particularly those that draw large amounts of men, have also been a catalyst for human trafficking.

With the Vancouver Olympics in 2010 on the horizon, Perrin is hoping more will be done to minimize the scope of the sex-slave industry.

A 2007 report by The Future Group reported the 2006 World Cup in Germany experienced a short-term increase in the demand for prostitutes, but information campaigns, immigration controls and law-enforcement action likely stopped traffickers from meeting it.

Meanwhile, DiFruscia said demonstrators dressed in black will hand out hundreds of postcards Saturday on Montreal's Crescent Street, the official downtown partying point of the Canadian Grand Prix.

The messages will be addressed to Prime Minister Stephen Harper, demanding he take more action on human trade.

"We're not bashing the Grand Prix, it's just to make sure people are aware when there are big sporting events in a city that this happens," said DiFruscia, the co-ordinator of the social action office of the Catholic Archdiocese of Montreal."