The C8 and future Ferrari sales? | Page 19 | FerrariChat

The C8 and future Ferrari sales?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Nachtfalter, Jul 21, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    The thread is of course c8 and future 360/430 sales. So yes I think that would absolutely involve discussing the merits of both cars to arrive at an idea why it may or may not influence Ferrari values.

I for one think it will not.

If the mods deem the thread inappropriate then by all means delete it, otherwise it would seem speaking of the subject matter is inevitable.

flat_plane_eddie likes this.
  2. gsworld2014

gsworld2014 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2014
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Greg S
    Not buying it!

3. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Heck, I would like to see the C8 at the LA auto show but I would really like to see some Ferrari’s at the show. Where has Ferrari been the last several years?:(

4. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Boomhauer and anunakki like this.
  5. MotorMouth

MotorMouth Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 6, 2010
    MA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    The corvette has always taken some Ferrari sales. And that was with the motor at the wrong end and really nothing “exotic “ about it. Now things are getting pretty weird with the Z06 being a more sophisticated type, smaller displacement, high redline, NA flat plane, high hp per liter. Etc. “the feel” (and look) was always the justification for spending X3 for the Ferrari. On top of the Vette checking all these boxes now, the Ferraris have gone turbo. Now the latest report about the zr1 900 hp hybrid. I’d be willing to bet the successor to the F8 will be wrapped up in something pretty close to the la Ferrari, looks wise, to try and re-widen the exoticness gap, and it will be because of Chevy.

JaguarXJ6 and G. Pepper like this.
  6. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Hasnt it been like ~10 years since they attended?

G. Pepper likes this.
  7. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Actually I talked to Ferrari of Beverly Hills about this way back when and they said it wasn't worth the money. The show was expensive to do, it occupied everyone's time for weeks instead of doing work to get cars ordered and to customers, and they never sold any more cars because they already had sales booked for the next 3 years. And if someone wanted to visit them they could just make an appointment.

It was just a PR stunt for the brand but the cost fell on them, not FNA.

So they (and many other exotics) backed out.

anunakki likes this.
  8. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Same thing happened with the big comic conventions. Lots of the A list players have pulled out. Theres no return on the investment.

G. Pepper likes this.
  9. MrShades

MrShades Rookie

Sep 23, 2009
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Claus Roger Schjerverud
    #459 MrShades, Nov 25, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
    There is no doubt that the new mid engine Corvette will affect Ferrari sales! Here you get a lot of car for the money.
    In fact i think that you get a lot more of car for the money than you do with the Ferrari, Lamborghini, McLaren.

Another fact is that the cheapest Corvette C8 comes just below $60 and it does 060 in just over 3 seconds.

Be sure that there will be a Z06, ZR1 version or of the Corvette that will be superfast..

Another thing about Ferrari is that Ferrari have always been kind of special and i do not mean this in a positive way..
    They always had to make every single new engine with timing belts that only last 3000 km or have to be replaced if the belts where older than 3 years (here in Europe that is)
    The only answer for this is only to get more money from Ferrari owners in my mind.

When VAG owned Lamborghini came with timing belts Ferrari where surely quick to change from timing belts to timing chains...

10. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    G. Pepper likes this.
  11. F456 V12

F456 V12 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2004
    Coto de Caza
    Full Name:
    Christian
    LOL!!, I went to the LA Auto show, many years back during my 360 Modena ownership days. It was staffed by one booth babe and one sales type guy. To add you could not get into the booth unless you were a Ferrari owner with proof, such as a key or registration slip/ drivers license. So hard to believe it was a staffing hardship. Cost, yeah probably, Ferrari does not suffer from brand recognition and any serious dealers are going to the dealer.

MB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby

The problem is the set up and the tear down, plus the length of the show. I do trade shows. You cannot believe how much work it is to do it. It looks so easy because its supposed to "look easy". But it takes a lot of manpower and planning.

Yes they limited people who entered mainly because it would be a zoo otherwise. Chevy introduced the new Corvette C8 just a few weeks ago at LA. It was -- roped off.

anunakki likes this.
  13. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
  14. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
  15. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
  16. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    so many stages to this unveil....

Phase 1 - leaked photo's...
    Phase 2 - internet (elon-esque) hype factory...
    Phase 2a - special invitation for u-tubers reports to see/touch feel.....
    Phase 3 - see touch feel one at a dealer ship by special invite for corvette owners...
    Phase 4 - place allocations......
    Phase 5 - internet wars begin..... every where.... bench racing ensues.....
    Phase 6 - a real driver gets his hands on one.... (this just happened).... and we get to see track results/impressions.....

** seems they got it backwards..... do phase 6 1st ... all IMHO.... presume ferrari does that?

agree GP quite alot of upside here..... as this is just the base 1st yr variant......

I'm more of a buyer of a lightly used c8..... from a easy on the pedal, heavy on the polish diaper jorts owners :)

17. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    I tend to disdain most things modern from the driving experience than any other factor. I also live at 9,000ft and am "forced" to drive one of three amazing canyon roads 19mi before I get close to the west edge of Denver so I need a wider gap between fun and practicality.

The reason I say practicality is that raw speed is just not all that interesting, to me. That's what I start seeing in the new Vette as the 911 syndrome. It's fast, handles great, modern, drama free, and utterly boring.

I finally became an owner with an F430 recently and the C8 never crossed my mind except from my dad asking me what I think of it. And when I really want a racecar experience with a dedicated track suspension, no ABS, optional traction control, an agriculturally solid 6spd, 450hp/liter with a 9K redline out of a screaming titanium exhaust to scare the piss out of me, the C8 seems far too tame.

18. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    Well first of all I'm fairly certain your car doesn't make 450 hp/liter so I'm not sure what that's supposed to mean and what 430 has no ABS unless you have a Challenge car?

Also, the 430 is a different experience to the C8 but the C8 will definitely be faster. If Corvettes are one thing it's not slow.

19. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    Fast only gets to be so fun. My Supra is highly modified, but it's a race car and the last build was 432/liter this new one just finished break in for the 450/liter mark. It's like driving a 90s era Viper with thrice the power. Thrilling, scary, and the giggle factor pretty immense able to hold a G cornering. That brings us back to the C8/911/GT-R problem as I see it with modern versions. They are much easier to just drive fast with no drama. Speed on tap, no effort, the car is driving with minimal input.

20. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    450hp/liter. Humm please tell us more...

21. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    Tom, since this is a C8 thread, suffice to say the way it's going to make it's speed and handle itself is going to be too tame for what I'm used to. It's the digital Corvette epiphany which does zero to entice my analog senses.

The motor in question is a fully built 2JZGTE single turbo running on ethanol. Best run (not by me) was 8.7 @173mph with a 2.1 60ft. It has a modified suspension so I can toss it hard into corners but it's not built for it. It's the legendary tuner motor that's found it's way into so many swaps and builds with an enormous aftermarket built up for two decades.

Under 3,500rpm just driving around it's a total ***** cat, raw and noisy like a pissed off caged tiger. On full power you gently guide it like you're on the track as the front end gets quite light when it squats as you can imagine. This much power on the street is very hard to use and why I have the 135i and now the F430 for summer fun when all out speed is not the purpose of the drive.

Jumping into the F430 as part of the test drive, one of the first things I commented on was how much more comfortable and sure footed it felt than I expected.

I had it for sale once, someone flew out cash in hand, and they wanted more of a date car. You don't get race car and date car mixed up but apparently they did. Maybe they bought a C8 to go with their CTS-V!

3.0L with 10:1 compression
    Manley HD H-beam Rods
    Arias 10.0:1 pistons
    King race bearings
    ARP main studs
    Titan billet main caps
    Titan billet timing belt tensioner
    Sound Performance OEM modified oil pump
    Complete Ferrea head, valves, dual springs, retainers
    GSC1 cams
    ARP L19 head stud kit
    Precision 7275 ball bearing turbo
    Custom built twin gate exhaust tubular manifold with twin Tial 44mm
    JMS Racing custom built intake manifold
    RMR 90mm throttle body
    4" downpipe
    HKS Ti 4" full exhaust
    HKS SSQV
    Greddy 3-row Intercooler kit
    TRD LSD
    PHR 3.5" one piece aluminum driveshaft
    RPS triple carbon clutch with modified master/slave
    V160 6spd
    FIC 2150cc injectors
    Custom hanger linking three Walboro 485 pumps
    ProEFI 128 kit with 4" display and CAN cable
    Tein Super Street 16-way adjustable coilovers
    Holding this to the pavement are 275/50/15 ET Street drag radials.

The first video below is the shop that built it in its previous incarnation. The build lasted about 4 years and 20K miles. Due to scoring found on the bearing in Cyl 3 it eventually necessitated a full rebuild to a higher spec at the cost of about 17K and delivered back to me for break in which is nearly complete.

I don't share my own videos on Youtube for reasons as in Colorado this car is recognizable if you go looking for it, or me, but the second one is a speedo snap on the dyno. I don't see this in real life, eyes are glued forward.

anunakki likes this.
  22. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Impressive! I have seen these monster supra go..and they are nuts. Enjoy.

JaguarXJ6 likes this.
  23. PerKr

PerKr Formula Junior

Oct 10, 2007
    Mariestad, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Per Kristoffersson
    With the very limited talk about the C8 outside of corvette forums, I guess it will have no more effect on Ferrari sales than the C7 before it.

24. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Corvette sales have never had any kind of impact on Ferrari sales..ever. That will not change just because chev tossed the engine behind the driver.

25. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    From what I see, the C8 is only having an impact on other Corvette sales. People are trying to dump their C6 and C7 before the market really softens. You can find near new 2019 Z06's for 20-25K off MSRP with just a few thousand miles on them. C6 Z06s have started to hit bottom with deals in the teens. It's only the beginning.