The Bid/Ask Thread | Page 3 | FerrariChat

The Bid/Ask Thread

Discussion in '612/599' started by Texas Forever, Jun 27, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    The purpose of this Bid/Ask thread is not to determine a "true value" for a specific car. It tries to measure the gap between asking and bidding on a group of similar cars.. All you had to do to get the late Gerald Roush riled up was to mention how the FML index was too high. Gerald would thunder (he thundered a lot) the FML price guide was based strictly on asking prices because it was the only objective data out there. Any other "price guide" like Cavallino was too subjective. And, of course, Gerald was right. Look at people complaining today about the Hagerty's price guides.

But Gerald didn't have BAT, and while many are aghast at what some bidders pay on BAT, money is changing hands. Again, apparently nobody bids on eBay anymore.

Historically, I have always estimated the "getting price" at 20% off asking prices. It is interesting to see how the spread on the F599s is over 25%.

Plus, this analysis ignores mileage, which clearly impacts the final price. Marshall Goldman has two 2000 yellow Maranellos on eBay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2000-Ferrari-550/392816002201

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2000-Ferrari-550/392841662206

The ask on the 10k mile car is $149,900

The ask on the 27k mile car is $129,900.

So once a car goes over 10k is the delta $1 per mile? I dunno.

2. jimshadow

jimshadow F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 19, 2006
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    JIM
    Updated the BID on my 599 Purchase as a data point to this thread. I hope it helps those looking. (SN151978)

I feel the market is in the perfect spot for a 599 purchase. An amazing car for the money. I was talking to a local collector who has had 3 (2008 GTB, 2010 HGTE, and an Alonzo Edition), he agrees with this sentiment. He also had some interesting observations on the GTB vs. HGTE cars as well...:)

Jim

Attached Files:

3. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    I was always under the impression and use the formula of 2 dollars per mile for sub 10k and 1 dollar a mile for above 10k

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Texas Forever likes this.
  4. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Makes sense.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

5. bamaman

bamaman Formula Junior

Nov 27, 2015
    Mobile Alabama
    Full Name:
    William M (B.J.) Lyon, Jr.
    I bought a black 599 for the precise reason that it does not draw attention (other than the glorious V12 song) like the Rosso colors. Have had a LOT of women especially ask what it is after extolling its beauty. Only a few recognize it right away as a Ferrari.

6. bamaman

bamaman Formula Junior

Nov 27, 2015
    Mobile Alabama
    Full Name:
    EVERYONE instantly recognizes the the 360/458 variant mid engine cars as Ferraris, but that does not happen with 599s. Thus, the 599 poser label is flat wrong, since the very idea of a poser is to do so in a recognizable fashion.

7. bamaman

bamaman Formula Junior

Nov 27, 2015
    Mobile Alabama
    Full Name:
    Soooo, according to that metric for a 599, at about 50,000 miles
    the wholesale value would be exactly zero. Not so.

8. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    #58 flash32, Sep 23, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
    I guess I forgot to mention that the formula works to about 40k or 25 percent discount then it levels off

We are also talking street value which starts around 150k for ultra low mileage .. so a 50k car should run right below 90k

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

9. Bruce

Bruce Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2004
    I'm beginning my search for a 599, so I'd enjoy hearing the collector's observations on the GTB vs. HGTE versions of the 599 since he has both.