The Best Modifications for the F355 | Page 3 | FerrariChat

The Best Modifications for the F355

Discussion in '348/355' started by bcwawright, Aug 24, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Monteman

Monteman Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 9, 2006
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    Monte
    I love your 355! These mods are perfect.

2. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    One cool modification that "Aeroengineman" did to his 355 is he drilled a hole with a hole saw in the tray under the remote oil sump, then plugged it with a plastic shipping tube plug. Makes oil changes infinitely faster. I need to get around to doing this.

3. ExcelsiorZ

ExcelsiorZ Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 7, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    Rear wheels under 26 pounds while fronts are 24.6 pounds. Not bad for a 11.5x20 rear and 9x19 front.

Machine shop making all panels such as gauge surround for speedo cluster, three gauge surround for oil temp clock, etc., as well as center console. considering finishes to use now: Spun aluminum, brushed aluminum, etc. Will probably make a batch of multiples and offer them up for sale to help offset the initial cost. I'm not a fan of cheap looking plastic, hence these real aluminum pieces ;))

4. ExcelsiorZ

ExcelsiorZ Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 7, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    Thanks!

5. eulk328

eulk328 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2005
    Full Name:
    F683

Good info. :) Thanks

I think I speak for the Sisterhood when I say we're all waiting to see photos of the installed alu. parts.

6. UConn Husky

UConn Husky F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2006
    CT
    Full Name:
    Jay
    #56 UConn Husky, Aug 26, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  7. UConn Husky

UConn Husky F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2006
    CT
    Full Name:
    Jay
    #57 UConn Husky, Aug 26, 2010
  8. UConn Husky

UConn Husky F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2006
    CT
    Full Name:
    Jay
    #58 UConn Husky, Aug 26, 2010
  9. bcwawright

bcwawright F1 Veteran

Jul 8, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    #59 bcwawright, Sep 4, 2010
  10. Rothbauer_Racing

Rothbauer_Racing Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2007
    Planet Earth
    Full Name:
    Röthbauer Racing GmbH
    How much faster at top end is the GruppeM? Typically one can get to 160/165 mph very quickly as long at one has miles of open road. Does the GruppeM allow a 170/175 mph top end over the same lenght of run?

So many products for the 355 and so much time has gone by since it was released but, very little testing all on these fine products. I mean a stock 355 vs. a mod. 355 would be an awesome video!

Same goes for headers (Fabspeed) seems to be the only ones testing on the dyno but, how about real time next to a stock f355 to see just how fast these products are?

Aside from air intake improventments the secondary cat delete seems to be one that can should make the car faster? Anyone have Tubi or Fabspeed secondary cat delete on the 5.2 F355?

Ciao,

SRR

11. eulk328

eulk328 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2005
    Full Name:
    F683
    #61 eulk328, Oct 7, 2010
    I've got a Fabspeed Y-pipe (upper cat. delete) on my 5.2 I imagine quite a few other people do also.

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. Rothbauer_Racing

Rothbauer_Racing Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2007
    Planet Earth
    Full Name:
    Röthbauer Racing GmbH
    Very Nice! From your experience over stock what can you feel or notice with the secondary cat delete (y-pipe)?

Ciao,

SRR

13. 360

360 Karting

Feb 27, 2004
    Orpington Kent
    Full Name:
    Chris M
    Could you tell us where the seats were sourced from they look great

14. eulk328

eulk328 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2005
    Full Name:
    F683
    #64 eulk328, Oct 8, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2010
    I cannot say I noticed any difference in performance, sound or heat. Not to say there can't be any but there was a lot of "down time" between removing the original, getting the first Y-pipe, removing it and installing the new style Y-pipe.

The lack of upper cats. should reduce temperatures somewhat but then on the other hand the lack of heat shielding on the aftermarket pipes would negate some/a lot of that. I added some header tape to reduce the heat somewhat but I really don't know where I ended up in the big scheme of things.

In any event, there are no longer any upper cats. to break loose and rattle or block exhaust flow so that gives me some peace of mind.

Obviously these pipes don't weigh a great deal to start with but there is a bit of weight savings. Can't find the numbers now but I think the aftermarket part weighed about half (before header tape).

PS. just saw your "Interests" section of your profile (Lancia 037 Rally). Very good taste you have :) I was a big fan of these cars and still own a modified Montecarlo - not that they have that much in common. I was on the island of Sardinia when the 037 debuted in the Rally of Costa Smeralda. Unfortunately I did not get to see them. As I recall, both broke down with gearbox failure :-(

15. bcwawright

bcwawright F1 Veteran

Jul 8, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    #65 bcwawright, Oct 8, 2010
  16. eulk328

eulk328 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2005
    Full Name:
    F683
    Yes, I think that's a "given."

Just from looking at various Y-pipes I think the Kreissegg has the best design. Is that what's in your photos or is it based on the Kreissegg? The bends are nice and smooth and you don't have the exhaust flow from where the two pipes meet slamming into each other almost head-on.

17. bcwawright

bcwawright F1 Veteran

Jul 8, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    #67 bcwawright, Oct 8, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2010

Yes.

Pieced meal "Y" pipe vs one piece mandrel design? Personally I prefer the later atleast from an esthetic view point.

Makes all the difference in the world(of exhaust that is..lol)

Only problem is, that you have to pay $$$$ to play.

18. eulk328

eulk328 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2005
    Full Name:
    F683

So do you mean you made the Y-pipe or had it made? Do you sell them? If so, what's the going rate?

19. bcwawright

bcwawright F1 Veteran

Jul 8, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    No. No. N/A

Just showing you what is available to the consumer.

Picking the right combination from what is available will determine the end result.

Many considerations to evaluate....proper fit..smog emissions testing for your state....acceptable sound pressure levels per local ordinances.....thermal output vs component degredation....low end performance vs top end......track, non-track, or both...long term upstream issues/problems...air flow intake volume,pressure,and harmonics vs exhaust outflow volume, pressure, and harmonics,etc.

20. hammer1

hammer1 Karting

Oct 5, 2010
    Louisville, KY
    Full Name:
    Chris Morris
    Hello all I am new to ferraris and to my "NEW TO ME" 97 355. My question is what is the smoothest, best sounding exhaust available. I obviously know about TUbi.

Also where is a reputable place to purchase one?
    Thanks to all and I am about to get divorced over this site!!!! ;)
    Chris

21. Rob'Z

Rob'Z Formula 3

Mar 29, 2008
    Tucson,AZ
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Chris,

Welcome to the addiction! I am biased since I run this setup on my F355 but Mille Miglia is a wonderful sounding exhaust.

Not my car but you get the idea. It's very smooth sonding in the lower RPM range when you're just putting around.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uug4ENT2Tq4

Rob

22. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    You can hear the obvious flat spot in that exhaust even over you-tube.

23. jetfixr

jetfixr Formula 3

Jun 14, 2007
    northeast
    Full Name:
    Gone
    FABSPEED makes great stuff!!!!

I've been a fan of them for a long time...

I've bought pipes and headers for all of my porsches and fcars...Excellent fit and finish!!!!

24. jmnov

jmnov Karting

Mar 15, 2009
    Lausanne
    I'm new to the forum, but I own a F355 Berlinetta '97 since 4 years now...
    First thing I had to change are the headers: I sent them to Larini.
    Then I put the Tubistyle exhaust and my cats are empty too: major improve in the sound and much better response in the lower revs.
    I also have Challenge wheels, rear wheel spacer (20mm) and Nitron racing shocks with Eibach springs (front 450lbs and rear 650 lbs).
    For the brakes I only have black Pagids, but next year I'll buy the AP Racing 6 pots for the front ;-)
    Interior: I have a Sparco wheel with a spacer of 10cm, Hill engineering slick shift gate and passenger foot rest.
    I found 2 348 Challenge seats which will be refurnished with black alcantara this winter.
    I also needed to change the clutch release bearing: I choose it from Hill engineering too...

CrackityJones likes this.
  25. Rob'Z

Rob'Z Formula 3

Mar 29, 2008
    Tucson,AZ
    Full Name:
    Robert
    No sure what you mean Mitch. There appears to be no 'flat spot' in the power curve if that's what you're referring to.

Rob