The best country to speed in? | FerrariChat

The best country to speed in?

Discussion in 'Europe' started by DriveAfterDark, Jul 19, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DriveAfterDark

DriveAfterDark F1 Veteran

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    Just a honest question. Which country in Europe (excluding dangerous areas) is the best to drive in?

Someone just said (I didn't believe it) that in many cases you only get a warning for driving twice the speed limit in Poland. I've never been to Italy, but have heard stories about people going 120 mph on the Autostrada without worrying about fines/prison.

Your tip?

I am not saying I will drive recklessly. I'm just asking for the best country to stretch my feet in. ;)

2. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    #2 Bas, Jul 19, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2010
    France seems ok. Drove from Bordeaux all the way to Calais averaging 90 mph, doing a few 150 mph runs (limiter). Didn't get stopped at all. Someone I don't know, had a 996 turbo who sort of tagged along (I was in a BMW 7)...Of course he was much faster once the traffic cleared a little but in the end, we arrived in calais at almost the same time!

It also really depends when you do it. During the holiday period, you can forget doing much over 100mph (mainly due to traffic), during Le Mans everything around Le Mans, especially the motorways leading from Calais to Le Mans, are heavily patrolled. Many people get a ban from driving in france, and even 1 or 2 horror stories from getting their car confiscated.

Some gendarmerie will give you a big warning etc and then let you continue, normally if the roads are almost empty. Others pretend like they're hitler.

Germany, of course.

Belgium doesn't exist, I can't actually remember of one instance that any one I know got stopped in Belgium for speeding. Everyone drives through it like it's an extension of france :D.

The UK, as long as you and your car aren't registered in Britain...(for everywhere, I must add...makes impounding your car very difficult for them). A few years ago a Japanese bloke got caught doing 190mph (at 1 degree C), stopped by the police, camera's etc all on the car during the run....1 month ban and a £200 fine :D.

If you plan on doing speed the police could hypothetically take your license/car away, bring a friend who doesn't mind speeding and trusts you...never drive above your own limits either. If you get a ban your friend can drive until the next country and they're less likely to take your car away.

Always stay polite, honest, and helps if you speak a little of the local language.

3. Simon

Simon Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Aug 29, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Simon
    #3 Simon, Jul 20, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2010
    Nowhere is safe to speed. Even ignoring the obvious safety issues, most European countries generally have similar speeding rules and punishments. If you are caught driving at excessive speeds most will confiscate you license and probably your car. If you want to go fast, get on the track or an autobahn early on a Sunday morning.

4. DriveAfterDark

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    BasJaski: Thanks!

Simon: Well, you lose your license doing 136 in 100 zone here, so I'm getting tired of that... But Autobahn on early Sunday mornings sounds good. And yes, I like the track idea, and that's actually the most realistic route...

5. mat

mat Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2006
    Warsaw/Lodz, Poland
    Full Name:
    Mateusz
    of course it's not like you'll only get a warning for doing twice the speed... then you'll receive a speeding ticket of 125 to 250 euros, which is quite a lot for an average Pole. although when you're a foreigner in a ferrari and say that you've got no money with you (because you'd have to pay on spot) there's a chance they'll let you off... however the situation is not that good to Poles, just got a speeding ticket myself like two weeks ago :) i guess when it comes to relation of the amount of money you'd pay for quality of the roads, poland comes quite good - the roads are generally poor, though there are some quite good highways. but countries like eg. belarus are better when it comes to money case - i guess there aren't speeding tickets higher than like 50 euros :D

6. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Each time I go to Germany, there seems to be more and more speed cameras. During my last trip to Germany (6 weeks ago or so), I was nailed 4 times by speed cameras. Yes, (sigh) 4 times. Each time was on the Autobahn no less. The holy grail of high speeds with speed cameras.

If you do drive in Germany, watch out for where autobahns intersect (Autobahnkreuz) and places where autobahns end and turn into secondary roads.

7. DriveAfterDark

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway

Haha, cool information, thanks...!!

They have cameras on the Autobahn now, or are you mentioning the secondary roads off the Autobahn?

Hmm. I hate speed cameras. They've just put up the types that measure your average speed in Norway and you won't get away from them :( You drive pass camera 1 and it takes a picture, and a few miles later camera 2 takes another pictures and if your average speed is above the limit you'll get a juicy fine (300 $ minimum to 1500 $)...
    I drove past one of those once and didn't find the second one! Got paranoid because I didn't know when to stop looking at the speedo because it's very tiring!

I'm up for speeding cameras on busy roads, but they are putting them everywhere these days - I'm 100% sure just to generate more income... I hate bureaucrats... Really, really hate them...

8. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    Speeding in France is suicide, as is Swaziland. Germany has its moments but traffic is getting bad. My preference is northern Spain (Pyrenees) or Austrian/Italian Alps (technical and lower speeds but still very challenging).

9. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    All 4 photo tickets were on the Autobahn. Not secondary roads. Of the 4, 3 (you would think I would learn) were at Autobahnkruez. 1 was total BS too. The Autobahn had unlimited speed, they dropped it to 120, then very quickly to 100. I was slowing down from 200+ and got nailed in a 100 zone at 120.

10. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Unfortunately, a great percentage of the german autobahns are now restricted :(.

11. DriveAfterDark

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    Ah snap. Sorry to hear about your tickets tough.

Hope they don't restrict all of the Autobahn!

12. PoleApart

PoleApart Formula 3

Sep 28, 2005
    Warsaw, Poland
    Full Name:
    P.
    Despite what mat wrote Poland is far superior compared to West European countries. Foreigners don't get points, have to pay cash and the maximum fine for speeding in the official "price list" is 500 PLN for 51 km/h+ over the speed limit. As long as you only speed and get caught you should therefore be able to get away with the equivalent of max 120 Euro no matter how fast you were driving. If you play idiot and try and get out of paying or have committed other crimes than just speeding they will turn angry. If you smile a lot and show them the car etc you will most likely get away with a smaller fine. I've often got out of serious speeding for free just by being friendly, chatting, bull****ting, sympathising with how the govt is trying to screw them out of their pensions, etc. It's basically a negotiations skills test - if you make 10 minutes of their day different / interesting they will let you go with a warning - obviously more difficult if you don't speak Polish but could actually be more fun if you focus on body language and basic English/German/Swedish/whatever.

From Gdansk (ferry from Sweden) south you have 100 kms of brand new fast relatively curvy motorway. On a Sunday or Saturday morning outside of the holiday season you can easily do 250 km/h there in a regular car and more if you're unrestricted... not that I would know or condone such reckless behaviour of course. A lot of Scandinavians also seem to enjoy this http://www.gt-polonia.com/ and come back year after year.

The rest of the roads are pretty crap - there's a lake district just south west of Gdansk which has some nice curvy roads and scenery but a bit more traffic. Drop me a P/M if you're really interested in coming here.

13. pamparius

pamparius Formula Junior

May 16, 2007
    germany
    on many parts of the autobahn you can go as fast as you want, but there is a recommended speed limit of 130km/h, that means, if you are involved in a crash and you were driving faster than that you automatically get blamed for at least part of the crash.

14. DriveAfterDark

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    Cool! Thanks for the information and spot on post! Poland it is then... As stated, I'm not up for reckless driving... We have 100 km/h speed limit here and they'll take your license away at 136 km/h, so that's why I'm just trying to figure out where I could go road tripping next year just to have a little more fun...

I didn't know about GT Polonia, definitely something worth checking out. I know a couple of guys who might be interested...

Thanks, valuable information - I wasn't aware of that at all.

15. crcs

crcs Formula 3
    BANNED

Apr 18, 2009
    Burlington Ontario
    PL or Italy