The BARRETT-JACKSON Auction thread........ | Page 5 | FerrariChat

The BARRETT-JACKSON Auction thread........

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Kds, Jan 16, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FerrariF50lover

FerrariF50lover Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Nate
    I really liked that green Cuda for 225k thats a good deal. But Id rather have that Boss 429 that sold for around 440k.

2. 8 SNAKE

8 SNAKE F1 Veteran

Jan 5, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thanks for the info! I guess the Gateway name in the museum created the rumor that Gateway's founder put up the money. Now I know better.

3. jungathart

jungathart Guest

Jun 11, 2004
    NoVA, AmeriKa
    Full Name:
    Komrade Jung
    What a nice car! Bidding went from 150 straight to 500...and sold at 600K.
    Buyer also get rights to buy serial#2 car.:eek:

4. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    4 mill and rising ...66 shelby 427 supersnake 5 million

5. jungathart

jungathart Guest

Jun 11, 2004
    NoVA, AmeriKa
    Full Name:
    Komrade Jung
    5Million! What an incredible Cobra!

6. SpyderGirl

SpyderGirl Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2005
    IL
    Full Name:
    Haley
    5 Mil for Mr. Shelby's Cobra! :)

7. Winkie

Winkie Rookie

Sep 26, 2004
    Damn that car was badass 0 - 60 in 3. something in the 60;s I would be scared as hell to drive that fast with no roof.

8. buckminster

buckminster Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2005
    On the water, SWFL
    Full Name:
    Nicholas Raftis
    Bill Cosby sure was scared driving it, enough to make a album about it.

9. jungathart

jungathart Guest

Jun 11, 2004
    NoVA, AmeriKa
    Full Name:
    Komrade Jung
  10. JM4re

JM4re Formula 3

Aug 21, 2006
    Nothingcouldbefiner
    Full Name:
    JPM
    That 1930 Duesey sold for $600k??? What the hell... Barrett-Jackson should be royally embarrassed. A friggin Chevy Vega sells for 525k, but a holy-grail immaculate Duesenberg J in a great color goes for 600k? I would be livid if I were the seller; I think it was clear from Craig Jackson and the auctioneer's reactions that they were a little dismayed at that result.

Just had to vent somewhere :)

11. jungathart

jungathart Guest

Jun 11, 2004
    NoVA, AmeriKa
    Full Name:
    Komrade Jung
    Right now, BJ is only right for muscle cars, rods, and oddities. Anything vintage, classic, or foreign will lose out.

12. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

That was Grumpy Jenkins trophy winning Vega.......

Reggie's 427 69 Camaro went for $800K.......beeeuuuaaarrkkkkk !!!

The world has ended.

13. yzee

yzee F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2005
    Bodegata
    Full Name:
    Michael
    How wrong could I be, $5million. I was light by $4.25 mil. Chump change?

14. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    That was a little ridiculous. The bidder at $500K was the same one who then entered the $600K bid. Thankfully it was all for charity but I'm betting he could have had it for half that if he hadn't jumped the bidding so high. Maybe he was looking for the tax deduction. :D

I'm surprised no one commented on the million dollar HUMMER H1 from CNN. An impressive piece and a great charity, but $1 million? I did like what the other bidder did when he decided to let the one who won have it - offering an additional $250,000 to the charity with no strings attached was quite impressive. :cool:

>8^)
    ER

15. yzee

yzee F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2005
    Bodegata
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I'm wrong again. The guy in the Ferrari git up, from last year, is now hanging with the guy with the Bentley Long Island shirt. They look like brothers. Stunning prices.

16. yzee

yzee F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2005
    Bodegata
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Go up to Vintage and see how little I/we really know.

17. crazynova23

crazynova23 Formula Junior

May 2, 2005
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    I think the bidders who paid $1mil for the H1, and $600k for the new Mustang only did it because its for a good cause, and they get a car out of it. The man who bought the new Mustang also bought the Super Snake, the Futureliner last year, and the Olds concept car last year. I think he has the money to throw around...

18. crazynova23

crazynova23 Formula Junior

May 2, 2005
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    I dont see why Dusenburgs are worth as much as they are. Yeah, the are beautiful, and have some cool innovations (straight 8), but otherwise, I thinkl they are worthless. They are too big to drive anywhere, and have no use. I never got why they are so valuable.

19. A.D.K.

A.D.K. Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Terre Haute, IN
    Full Name:
    Andy Klueber
  20. frank4cars

frank4cars F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Frank F.
    Drew Phillips (Fastautos) and I have been out in Scottsdale/Phoenix covering the auctions for Autoblog.com. We were very fortunate to have lunch with Carroll Shelby and the Ford VPs in their skybox overlooking the Supersnake. That was Carroll's personal car and one of only two the company made. Cosby crashed his, so this is the only original street version of the car and well worth the price considering its history.

Highlights for me have been the Supersnake, the World's Fastest 'Cuda that went for $550,000, Paul, Jr.'s GT500E, and all of the "pairs" of muscle cars; tanker 'Vettes, Z/28s, Bosses, 'Cudas, Superbird and Daytona. Was interesting to see the 365 GTC/4 Spyder, but it should have been over at RM. Speaking of which...

Absolutely incredible cars over there. The Dino 206SP was my favorite car all week but didn't sell. Neither did the Porsche 956. And practically every other car there was spectacular. Delahaye 135 Special, Bugatti Type 37A, Shelby Cobra 427 S/C, the oldest Ford in the world, the last Duesenberg ever built, the first L88 Corvette, Porsche RS 61 Spyder...amazing stuff.

Russo and Steele felt like Barrett's little brother. Lots of similarly great stuff, but smaller and less polished. They DID have a Shelby Cobra Daytona Coupe, however, that is on my favorites list as well. Other R&S highs were the Munster's Coach, Gus Grissom's Vette, an 800hp Smokey Yunick Z/28, and an incredible pair of black as night GTOs.

Pretty good week. You can see a lot of high-res shots of some of these cars at the website. Click on my name down the right side and all of these will pop up. http://www.autoblog.com/bloggers/frank-filipponio/

21. FerrariF50lover

FerrariF50lover Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Nate
    Wow 5 million for one of the craziest cars most have ever seen. To think that Carrol Has more expensive cars in his garage is absolutely crazy.

22. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Frank

It wasn't Bill who had the fatal accident in the other one. How high did the Dino no sale at?

Great Blog. As an aside the Duesy was completed after Duesy went under still it went for a big price.

Best

23. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    #123 Napolis, Jan 21, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    This one went for 2.55 million + fees at RM

http://www.autoblog.com/bloggers/frank-filipponio/

As for being too big to drive I haven't noticed that.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus

Carrol no longer owned the Super Snake. He sold it for somewhat less.

25. johnei

johnei Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2006
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    John Wiley
    Duesenbergs are quite advanced, I think you may want to do a bit more research. They have from 265 to 320 hp, dohc 4 valve head, 130+ mph, racing history, famous owners... all using 1930s technology.

also from
    http://www.***************.com/frame.php?file=car.php&carnum=2106
    the car had its own service indicator lights