The BARRETT-JACKSON Auction thread........ | FerrariChat

The BARRETT-JACKSON Auction thread........

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Kds, Jan 16, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

Since the annual "dog and pony car" show starts on SPEED tonight, I thought for the sake of not cluttering the board we could keep all of our comments in one thread......

My wife has been told not to expect me to pay attention to her for the next 6 days when the show is on.

Have at 'er boys !!!!

2. Erich

Erich Formula 3

Sep 9, 2003
    Poway CA
    Full Name:
    Erich Coiner
    Thank God my TV has Picture in Picture. Football on the large and SPEED in the little window.

3. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    I think it speaks volumes about this auction that its star player this year is a bus-like truck which seems to have no conceivable value other than it's novelty. And last year, when it was a Corvette prototype badged as an Oldsmobile.

I am also put off with the direction Speed is going...hot rods, pinks, Nascar, monster-mashing, and offroad. They still seem to have more Nascar than anything else except for B-J, even if it is off-season!

4. jm3

jm3 F1 Rookie

Oct 3, 2002
    United States
    Full Name:
    JM3
    ????

this is 2007

5. crazynova23

crazynova23 Formula Junior

May 2, 2005
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    I like off-road, except they don't play SCORE racing. Its a shame, because that type of racing requires skills that most on road racers dont have. Those trucks are also some of the most advanced racing vehicles, even more so than F1.

6. 6.0 se

6.0 se F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 26, 2004
    Atlanta,ga. area
    Full Name:
    A.J.
    '69 SC/Rambler goes for 45k. The muscle car era is still alive!!

Let's stick this thread throughout the BJ.

7. vteqe

vteqe Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2005
    long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sandy
    You have to wonder if Craig Jackson ownes part of the Speed channel?

8. FerrariF50lover

FerrariF50lover Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Nate
    Ive never thought about it but it would make sense. Does anyone know what hes worth? Im watching it right now and theres a couple good deals on cars that you can actually drive. Its never made sense to me why someone would so spend 50k+ on a recreation hemi car. I wouldnt imagine its future would be stable.

9. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
  10. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

Is it me....or does bidding seem sluggish and low ? It's also day one too.......

11. FerrariF50lover

FerrariF50lover Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Nate
    Yeah nothing terriably exciting to bid on. Some intersting stuff none the less. I really liked the AAR cuda and the 70 Dodge challanger 440 6 pack.

12. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    real quality picks here www.rmauctions.com REALLY LIKE the Porsche race cars but also look at the Fcars

13. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Interesting. The Impala went for good $ the resto rods for less then they cost to make.

14. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    jim
    i said this a while ago but there are too many hemi and other muscle cars in play this year I think it is the year of the Market Correction

Really exceptional cars will carry well but the others not so much

Just look at Russo and Steele, Kruse Barretts and RM

If you really want something special there is lots to choose from

15. REMIX

REMIX Two Time F1 World Champ

That seems to happen every year.

RMX

16. nerd

nerd F1 Rookie

Oct 12, 2003
    Coronado, CA
    Full Name:
    RSK
    Speed Channel is owned by 20th Century Fox. Jackson is a respected business man who hit the wealthy baby boomer gold mine. He took risks, worked very hard, cut mutually beneficial deals (Speed, City of Scottsdale, etc.) and is now reaping the benefit. Another local auction, Russo and Steele, also run by a well respected local family, now occupies a market niche between BJ and RM.

17. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    It's interesting. The STOCK cars seem to be holding up but the resto rods/re engined BS/ aren't.

Best

18. lotustt

lotustt Formula 3

Aug 28, 2002
    Full Name:
    TRM
    Did you guys see when the 61 Lincoln hardtop just sold? It was like a flat yellow and they were driving it off the block and all of a sudden you heard someone yell and a bang! They finally put the cameras back on the car and it appeared some metal pole with curtains on it just fell on the car! Thats one thing I would be worried about as soon as you buy the car. There seems to be some careless people around these cars.
    And the hotrod trucks and such never seem to pull the money that was most likely spent to build them.
    That red impala was gorgous!

19. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    It was. I must admit I'm building a resto rod for my wife. She wants a 57 convertible Torquois. I could have bought an original car but in my heart I know she'd drive an original once and a resto rod will be much more drivable so that's what I'm doing. Strange days...

20. lotustt

lotustt Formula 3

Aug 28, 2002
    Full Name:
    TRM
    Hey thats great! Would love to see some pictures. I agree the looks of the old but with the performance driveability of the new is a great mix.

Also speed should be in high definition by now. The low res does not really let us see the cars to well.

21. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

All I heard from the announcers last night was.......

"That car was undersold"

"Boy that is a deal"

"It cost twice as much to build it"

"That was a good buy"

Seems to me "at first blush" that the various resto rods and "recreations" (and IMHO there is nothing wrong with recreations, as it is what I would buy since I'd drive it) are cheap and very good values relative to original cars at 50 cents on the dollar or much less in some cases.

There was a red Hemi Superbee with a 472 cu. in. stroker motor and complete reinforced tube chassis that went for high forties. A beautiful car.

The yellow 440-6 Challenger was nice and cheap as well.....as was the white AMC.

BJ hiked the price of entry fee for bidders to $500.......and it's now 10% for buyers.....and sellers are still 8%. What does that imply ?

22. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    You can't build the red "Hemi" for that price. The AMC was real???

500X 4000 registered bidders...

What do you think the "Super Snake" will go for??

Best

23. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
    Relatively light duty stuff on day one. Musclecars (originals) seem to be holding up well, witness the GT500 and some others. The AMC's real. Think 68k for the Yenko clone is still a lot 'o $ for a knock-off. Resto-mod wise, Bob Johnson's Cuda might do okay. Wouldn't be surprised at 2M+ on the Cobra SuperSnake (bet it'd be even more fun w/manual tranny).

24. lotustt

lotustt Formula 3

Aug 28, 2002
    Full Name:
    TRM
    The higher 500 bidders fee went for some new niceties such as the larger more comfortable cushioned high back seating for bidders.

Yes, slight sarcasm.

25. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

Well......at least Amy is still working the crowds as a bidder's assistant.

She is smokin' hot !!! Spanky is one lucky dude !!!