the aussie video game thread | Page 7 | FerrariChat

the aussie video game thread

Discussion in 'Technology' started by ashsimmonds, Dec 4, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. VMax

VMax F1 Rookie

Nov 21, 2003
    Perth, W.Australia
    Full Name:
    Mike Sharpe
    Test Drive is the daddy of them all! It had police chases in all its 1987 CGA glory (yeah, I didn't have an Amiga or Atari ST), the original NFS didn't come along for another seven years :p

2. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    I know that :p I owned a C64 :p

I said Test Drive Unlimited, which only came out last week :p

3. ashsimmonds

ashsimmonds F1 World Champ

Feb 14, 2004
    adelaide, australia
    Full Name:
    Humble Narrator
    it's been out for about 6 months on the xbox360, i was considering buying an xbox just for this game ---> http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?p=136064795#post136064795

i bought the game on PS2 last week (just released). so far... dull as dishwater. :(

btw NO FERRARI!!!!!!!! :mad:

traffic is the dumbest possible, they follow a set line and don't react whatsoever. police are retarded also. the races are boring, same old same old. the cars sound crap. the physics are pretty bland, barely better than Grand Theft Auto. the graphics are 5 years old.

i've played about 4 hours and not really inspired to try it any further.

15 years ago this sort of game would have been my dream, but so much else has bettered it in everyway, get NFS Carbon instead, that's actually pretty fun, if stupid.

i'm waiting for GTA:4 and GT5.

4. AKA

AKA F1 Rookie

May 17, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    John McCabe
  5. ashsimmonds

Feb 14, 2004
    adelaide, australia
    Full Name:
    Humble Narrator
    i knew it'd be a compromise, but it was only $60 bucks so i grabbed it. worst thing is it looks like it takes at least 30 hours of play to get anywhere, frankly i don't have that time to spend just to have some fun in decent cars, so i just keep going back to the rental car places and renting the GT40 and stuff for half an hour at a time. :D

6. SPEEDCORE

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    PCGAMES > Consoles. :p

Also I knew it was out on XBOX360, but don't care :p refer to above.

The only issue I have with the game is that the graphics need to be reset everytime you start the game, which is very annoying. Alot of discussion on the atari boards about it. Tho it runs perfect @ 1920x1200 :D

I play it for what it is, Fun arcade racer, and it does a great job at it, if i want serious racing I play other games like LFS or GTR2.

I tried the demo of Carbon and felt like the series was going backwards.

7. ashsimmonds

Feb 14, 2004
    adelaide, australia
    Full Name:
    Humble Narrator
    yep, but i got sick of getting the setup just right and upgrading hardware and dealing with finding patches and having to sit at your computer like you're werking and blah blah many years ago. maybe it's better nowadays, but my 7 year old PS2 is good for just crackin a beer and sitting on the sofa and having fun without the stress, i'm not a hardcore gamer anymore, next time i upgrade my PC i might look back into LFS and getting a full cockpit setup for proper simulations. :cool:

it's been like that ever since the Porsche game in 2000, that sucked. after that they went ricer and so i consider it a whole different series despite the sequelisms.

the best of the lot was #4 High Stakes... great sound, fun gameplay for both single and multiplayer modes, and did i mention great sound? 9 years later there's still no console game that has better sound than that did (that i've played).

i also really liked the intro, best there was at the time, i remember a little honda revving at the lights to a Diablo or something wanting to race, then blowing it's engine, the music's stuck in my head now, have to see if i can find it....

edit: here's the intro, pretty dam cool for close to a decade ago http://youtube.com/watch?v=fmVQt3efScc

8. [355]

[355] F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2006
    Spacious tent
    Full Name:
    Harold Faltermeyer
    The only games needed are the mario series on SNES and mario kart/golden eye on 64

9. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap

Dont forget Perfect Dark on N64 too!! :):):)
    Im the best at that game, let me tell ya! :eek::eek::eek:

10. [355]

[355] F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2006
    Spacious tent
    Full Name:
    Harold Faltermeyer
    yep thats a goodie too!

11. ashsimmonds

Feb 14, 2004
    adelaide, australia
    Full Name:
    Humble Narrator
    my first Nintendo is the Wii. still no good games out for it apart from what came with it.

12. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap

Are you enjoying the Wii so far? Very intense workout they reckon. :):)

13. [355]

[355] F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2006
    Spacious tent
    Full Name:
    Harold Faltermeyer
    I need a Wii right now

14. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap

Need to tone up you reckon? :p:p

15. [355]

[355] F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2006
    Spacious tent
    Full Name:
    Harold Faltermeyer
    lol, no not what i meant re vlaka

16. j15

j15 F1 Rookie

Jan 5, 2005
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Jeh
    While recently spending a week off work sick i got back into the Metal Gear Solid games on PS2. great games with fantastic and original plots, i'd reccomend it to anyone with too much time on their hands

17. SPEEDCORE

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    I tried a Wii, afew weeks ago, its great with 2-4players, but certainly NOT made for the lonely gamer.

18. SPEEDCORE

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    Well Porsche was sorta different to the rest of the series, the graphics were awesome for its era, the physics were very realistic, the wealth of information on Porsche was excellent, it was an encyclopedia for porsche + a game :) it was and still is different to every other game in the series bar the 1st game which for the time was leaps and bounds ahead of the pack.

Im guessing tho Porsche didnt sell as well as the arcade versions of the game and the reason they haven't ever done any other car manufacturer which is ashame...

19. doozer

doozer Rookie

Dec 4, 2005
    Brisbane
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Ah the c64 days... breaking the side border, writing your first raster effect and who could forget the IFFL craze!

Yes I too was a c64 scener. On a more recent note, i picked up the new Command & Conquer 3 last week. Very tidy game.

20. ashsimmonds

Feb 14, 2004
    adelaide, australia
    Full Name:
    Humble Narrator
    bought the latest Burnout on the PS2 the other day, Burnout: Dominator.

it has no crash mode anymore!!! :mad:

21. ashsimmonds

Feb 14, 2004
    adelaide, australia
    Full Name:
    Humble Narrator
    i used to love the Ben Daglish music demos, they were great!

wow, over 20 years later and that name is right there...

22. doozer

doozer Rookie

Dec 4, 2005
    Brisbane
    Full Name:
    Matt
    I was a JCH fan :)

23. Rainey

Rainey Karting

May 29, 2006
    Tasmania, Australia
    I still have Porsche Unleashed, what a great game that was.

24. SPEEDCORE

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    I went and reinstalled GP3 on the 2nd pc. I started a new championship. I dont recall the Argentinan GP for the life of me!! haha. I think because I played GP3 2000 Season more than GP3... (also have GP1/2/3/4). Great series pity Microprose is no more, also FIA/FOM gave the rights to Sony so they always played 2nd fiddle not allowing to have the latest carsets... Hmm I wonder what happened to Crammond..(googles: Looks like he isnt making anything at the moment :( )

I finally hit Lvl70 the other day on WOW got my flying mount and now grinding for rep and Epic flying mount :p

Just noticed not much Flash games in this thread. Lets start with this one. http://www.kongregate.com/games/customlogic/sprout