the aussie video game thread | FerrariChat

the aussie video game thread

Discussion in 'Technology' started by ashsimmonds, Dec 4, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ashsimmonds

ashsimmonds F1 World Champ

Feb 14, 2004
    adelaide, australia
    Full Name:
    Humble Narrator
    playing anything lately? cmon we're all little boys once we get a joystick in our hand.

i haven't been much into games for a few years now, just starting to get back in and put in some quality leisure time, looking forward to next year with some decent stuff coming out on xbox360 and PS3. bought Need For Speed: Carbon for PS2 yesterday, loved the NFS series from the mid-late 90's but got bored of it when the Porsche one came out (duh how boring!) and then it turned to Fast n Furious.

this latest one's not too bad so far, has some exotics in it, my best car so far after a few hours is a DB9, and it's a relatively fun game, still a lot of the FnF vibe to it sadly, i dunno it just doesn't have the same coolness as # 1 thru 4 where it's about the cars rather than the stickers and spoilers.

gonna go have another play for a while.... :D

2. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes

I was awesome at "Missile Command" on the Atari circa 1984....

And Colin McRae Playstation1 circa 1999

Other than that, barely played much snce then.

3. Looney

Looney F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    Gold Coast
    Full Name:
    BB
    I just got NFS carbon and was really dissapointed, took me all of maybee 10-11 hours game time to finish career mode, no good.

Also just got Tony Hawk P8, just not as good as past titles.

Finished Splinter Cell Double Agent the other week, that was really good, i enjoy the SC franchise.

Also finished Tomb Raider Legend about a month ago, but didnt think that was as good as past ones TR2 was the best of the lot.

when i Get a Xbox 360, ill be sure to get Test Drive, and Project Gotham, and of course Ridge Racer, but not gunna get the console until theres more than 3 games worth getting on it.

4. ashsimmonds

Feb 14, 2004
    adelaide, australia
    Full Name:
    Humble Narrator
    me too :D aaaand Frogger and Pitfall and Barnstorming and River Raid and Qbert... then i discovered the commodore 64 and learnt to hack/program..... :cool:

5. leburpor

leburpor Karting

Aug 11, 2005
    Adelaide
    Never been a console fan. Used to be a regular with PC games, mainly on-line Combat Flight Sims (Janes F18, Flanker 2.5, LOMAC, IL2) and MMPORPG (ROSE, Guild Wars, Neverwinter Nights).

Have been considering getting a console game for some car racing simulators. Can you recommend a set up?

6. RMV

RMV F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    Flightsim98. Damn; I really need to upgrade!

7. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Speak of the devil. :p .
    I havent played games here for years. :)
    I busted out the Nintendo 64 and have been playing 4 player Perfect Dark and Golden Eye most of the weekend just gone. 1st time in at least 3 years I fired up the N64. Took a while to get it working. Lots of dust ect I think.
    ALSO...................I dont even own a PS2 or anything. But I went and bought Guitar Hero 2 today from Kmart. On special down to $130. I was playing it over my brothers place who owns a PS2 for 5 hours this afternoon. Very very addictive. I may have to buy a PS2 now just to play that game. Or wait and get a PS3 when they are not selling for $1400 on Ebay.......:D

8. ashsimmonds

Feb 14, 2004
    adelaide, australia
    Full Name:
    Humble Narrator
    i only played it for a few hours last night and i'm 25% through. i was on the dole when NFS 4 (high stakes?) came out and that took me and my old man a couple weeks to finish, plus it seems most games i've tried playing the multi-player mode just isn't that interesting... too many of them are trying to do this over the internets thing and forgetting that the best video game times most of us have had is with a couple mates sitting in the same room with some beers and snacks/hookers, not against some russian kid with a name of oDdLLy wr!tT3n cH@rAcT3rz.

9. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    #9 PAP 348, Dec 4, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017

That makes 2 of us.......:eek::eek:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    that's gonna screw up your post count

11. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap

You are more than likely playing against some fat 40yr old virgin still living at home with his Mum mate. :cool::cool:

12. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap

F*ck the post count and the statistician it rode in on. :p
    Abolish the post count, waste of space if there ever was. :)

13. 265T

265T Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2006
    Adelaide
    Full Name:
    Paul
    i've been playing BATracer :p

and i'm playing Civilization 4 atm

yeh i know, i'm boring :(

14. ashsimmonds

Feb 14, 2004
    adelaide, australia
    Full Name:
    Humble Narrator
    man i was a huge flight-sim fan in late 80's early 90's, mostly Amiga stuff back then, and then the PC started bringing out reasonable stuff in the mid 90's. the most fun flight-sim(ish) one i've played though was this kooky japanese game on the PS1 (!!), me and my old man were the type who had the full keyboard overlay pointing to the 600 different button combinations and were very skeptical of a flight game on a console, but wow that thing held it's own and we really didn't miss all the useless "realistic" crap, it was really well done. damned if i can remember it....

i haven't come across any console efforts that i'd call a simulator yet, they're all still too arcadey. sadly Gran Turismo is the closest there is as far as i can tell. stick to the PC for now for your hardcore simming needs, grab a console game for when plug-n-play and fun are the order of the day.

15. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2003
    FIA GTR2: GT Racing Game
    Flight Simulator X
    Orbiter 2006 (few months ago)

Don't play many games anymore...

16. ashsimmonds

Feb 14, 2004
    adelaide, australia
    Full Name:
    Humble Narrator
    who do you think half the people you're talking to are :D

17. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap

I thought so.........:eek:

18. ashsimmonds

Feb 14, 2004
    adelaide, australia
    Full Name:
    Humble Narrator
    probably the most enthralling games i've played have been Civilization 1 & 2, Settlers 1/2/3, a bit of SimCity, and for combat some Command & Conquer.

hey, does anyone remember Syndicate? that has got to be one of the coolest games EVER. :cool:

19. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap

Syndicate was cool. :) Havent talked about that game for years till you just said it. :p

I was a big Zelda fan on the Nintendo platforms. I could spend many hours playing that crap years ago. I threw it on the N64 2 days ago and couldnt handle playing it for 20mins. Dont know how I used to do it. It sucked ass! :D

20. 265T

265T Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2006
    Adelaide
    Full Name:
    Paul
    has anyone got into the UFO/X-Com series?

i've been playing UFO Aftershock lately aswell, i think it's the 4th game in the series

it's starting to get a bit repetitive now tho :(

21. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    I only play games on PC. Stop consoling since the Atari2600 :p

I recently(yesterday) reformatted, soo I don't have any games installed except BatRacer!!

I been playing World of Warcraft since 04, waiting for the expansion so I haven't played much recently.

Pre-format was playing Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory, GTR2, FIFA07, Football Manager 07, LFS, Lego Starwars, Battlefield 2142 and Sid Meier's Railroads.

My 2nd PC has GTA:San Andres so I have been playing that lately.

I dont have 1 genre, I like to mix in all sorts of games, from FPS, RTS, adventure, RPG, MMORPG, sport, sim, etc.

Ash: Yeah I remember Syndicate, I got the original CD somewhere here :)

22. 265T

265T Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2006
    Adelaide
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Battlefield is awesome!

i've got a group of friends that i usually get together with every couple of months & have a Battlefield session

i was also playing GTA Vice City a while ago. That was fun :D

23. ashsimmonds

Feb 14, 2004
    adelaide, australia
    Full Name:
    Humble Narrator
    that's so 2 years ago :p san andreas, whilst technically superior in every way, wasn't quite as fun as Vice City, but damn i loved those harrier jump-jets. i've played *all* the GTA's from the top-down versions in the 90's onward, VC is the one i fell in love with... i think the 80's atmosphere and music had a lot to do with that though. :eek:

i recently bought Liberty City Stories, found myself 60% of the way into it wondering when the cool stuff would be unlocked, it was only then i bothered to google it to find out it was just a port of the PSP version :( soooo in effect there's nothing more interesting in it than there was in the first 3D GTA five years ago. :( :(

24. Jimbo49

Jimbo49 Formula 3

Aug 5, 2004
    Geelong, Australia
    Full Name:
    James
    I own all the need for speed games, at the moment I'm re-visiting nfs most wanted driving the Carrera gt, and AM DB9.
    I like the idea of a free roaming city but, it needs more detail - people in the streets, cops to be more realistic. Still pretty fun to play when I'm bored.
    Wayy back in yr8 we got out our laptops in enviro science and linked them to play NFS 4 over crossover cable.. that was pretty cool!

25. Jimbo49

Jimbo49 Formula 3

Aug 5, 2004
    Geelong, Australia
    Full Name:
    James
    Any chance you get pap, any chance you get! haha:)