The Art of Racing in the Rain | FerrariChat

The Art of Racing in the Rain

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by JDZNate, Jul 1, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JDZNate

JDZNate Formula Junior

May 14, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Nate
  2. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Haven't read it yet, but it got a great review in R&T this month.

Cheers,
    Ian

3. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
  4. toddjw73

toddjw73 F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2004
    Nor-Cal
    Full Name:
    Todd Westbrook
    I recently picked it up at Starbucks of all places. I have yet to read it though. I just finished "The Mechanic's Tale: Life in the Pit-lanes of Formula One" by Steve Matchett. I had bought it at Autobooks Aerobooks in Burbank when on a trip to take the wife and a friend of hers to Disneyland back in December. It was pretty good. I have to read another book before I get to "The Art of Racing in the Rain". Considering I didn't used to read hardly anything, I have been enjoying what I have read in the last year.

5. 05011994

05011994 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2004
    Golden, Colorado
    I just got this book as a gift and read it in two sittings, it was fantastic. I agree with the above posts if you love dogs and racing, you cannot miss this one. I may be a bit biased in that our dog is named Enzo and we are huge Ferrari fans, but this was the best book I have read in a long time!

6. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    +1

We had a "Dino" in the family for many years :)

7. birddog

birddog Formula Junior

Jun 24, 2006
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    Ed
  8. eldorado

eldorado Karting

Dec 28, 2005
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Andy Cox
    Read the book earlier this year and really enjoyed it. I have since given a copy to my brother and Father in law. I wasn't sure about the premise at first but it worked well as I got into it.

9. resnow

resnow Formula Junior

May 21, 2001
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Bob Snow
    My wife even loved it. The racing commentary is about as authentic as it gets.

10. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Loved it. Absolutely fantastic book.

11. Retro11s

Retro11s Formula Junior

Oct 22, 2004
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    Full Name:
    Hugh
    Agreed.....I don't as a rule read fiction but this book is one of the best books I have ever read....a must read for dog owners and Ferrari fans....

12. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    I had seen this and not paid any attention to it but based on this thread I have just ordered it. Thanks everyone.

13. JDZNate

JDZNate Formula Junior

May 14, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Nate
    Last month in R&T there was an article on actor and racecar driver Patrick Dempsey. He said he was in the process of making the move The Art of Racing in the Rain. Keep an eye out for it.

14. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    Going to be a while. Looks like it is not due out until 2012. Universal Pictures acquired the rights with Dempsey producing along with Neal Moritz and Joanie Burstein according to an article in "Variety".

15. ramosel

ramosel Formula 3

Sep 11, 2004
    Meadow Vista, CA
    Full Name:
    R Moseley
    Great news!!! Hopefully Mr. Dempsey will keep the movie true to the book and not "Hollywood Bastardize" it.

"The Art of Racing in the Rain" is now firmly on my list of must read books. What a great story for anyone that likes cars and dogs... the meaning of life.

Rick

16. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    I read it a while ago. It was good, but not on my list of best books ever. A decent way to spend an afternoon.

17. Bill Sawyer

Bill Sawyer Formula 3

Feb 26, 2002
    Georgia
    It's an excellent book, although the ending is a bit unreal, but that's what 'suspension of disbelief' is all about.

Racing fiction--whether it is in book or movie form--has always focused on the racing over the human element.

The movie Le Mans was a fictionalized documentary, so it did poorly at the box office. In Stein's book racing is in the background, a supporting player at best. That's why it is so popular with non-racers. It's a formula that has worked well in baseball movies for decades.

18. toddjw73

toddjw73 F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2004
    Nor-Cal
    Full Name:
    Todd Westbrook
    I did get a chance to read this book and I am very happy I did. I am not an avid reader of anything. I have only read about a dozen books in the last 20 years. Magazines I have finally started to read due to my commute time on the Bart Train into San Francisco. I need to pull out my Ferrari books when I get things under control a little better to keep my passion alive.

I did get a chance to read this book and I am very happy I did. I am not an avid reader of anything. I have only read about a dozen books in the last 20 years. Magazines I have finally started to read due to my commute time on the Bart Train into San Francisco.

I am glad that Dempsey is involved. I think he will give the book due justice. Maybe if he is at the Historics races again this year I will see if I can get some time to talk with him and ask about how the project is coming.

19. ronzalfa

ronzalfa Karting

Sep 25, 2004
    SW Washington
    Full Name:
    Ron Deaver
    In case it is of interest, the softback version is at Costco in quantity. Might save someone a trip to the bookstores..........

20. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    My wife is an avid reader and bought it. She really enjoyed it. I don't read fiction often but read it in a day. I thought it was great. Highly recommended.

21. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    The movie comes out on August 9th. Can’t wait.

BTW the dog is named Enzo.

Forza Ferrari

NürScud and Rosey like this.
  22. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    The book is excellent, and I rarely read fiction. I read it on a Med cruise almost exactly 10 years ago.

23. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    #24 jm2, Aug 9, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
    Read the book. Really enjoyed it.
    Saw the movie last night. Rotten Tomatoes gave it a 55%. I would score it higher. Yes it’s predictable. The acting is generally OK.
    But if you like dogs, and if you like cars/Ferrari’s and some race scenes, it’s pretty good. It’s mindless entertainment. Much needed in today’s crazy world.
    Watching the Testarossa on the track was pretty cool.
    It’s a tear jerker.
    But in the end I thought it was fine.

Rosey and Jack-the-lad like this.
  24. teegeefla

teegeefla Formula Junior

Apr 26, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    Full Name:
    Tom Gee
    My wife and I saw it this afternoon and enjoyed it very much. Anytime there is a Golden Retriever, racing and Ferrari you can count me in.

jm2 likes this.