The 599 Manual Transmission Myth | FerrariChat

The 599 Manual Transmission Myth

Discussion in '612/599' started by 575Mike, May 11, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 575Mike

575Mike Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Hi Guys,

This morning my manual transmission 599 arrived from Ferrari of Silicon Valley. (I will later post photos and a You Tube video of my son driving it)

I will simply say that this car is one of the most satisfying cars I have ever driven. I’ve spent the whole day driving it and I can’t get enough of it!

I purchased this car without having had the benefit of test driving this car, nor had I driven any other 3 pedal 599. I always wanted a manual 599, but I was reluctant to commit because of the negative views on Ferrari Chat. Finally, when I saw this car or sale I decided to take “a leap of faith” and buy it!

After logging almost 200 miles behind the wheel today, rowing up and down through the gears, I’m very happy I took that leap! And I can only conclude these things as far as people who claim that a 599 manual transmission car is problematic or un-drivable or difficult (or whatever):

I. They don’t know how to drive a manual transmission car.

OR

II. They are simply guessing or relying on rumor.

OR

III. Something was wrong with the car they drove. For example, maybe they kept it in “Sport” mode instead of “Race”… That does seem to make a difference in driving a bolt action v. a paddle shifter version.

In conclusion, this car is an absolute blast to drive! I previously owned an F1 599, and I liked it, but it is not even close to the experience this car provides.

Those of you thinking of buying one, do it! Don't hesitate. It's a very special car!

:)

George Vosburgh and brogenville like this.
  2. portogts

portogts Formula 3
    Owner Project Master

Aug 31, 2008
    Maia-Portugal
    Full Name:
    Vitor Sousa
    Great !!
    Another happy Ferrari owner!!
    Enjoy your lovely car and please post some photos!!

I drove a 599 F1 in the UK and wasn´t convinced by the gearbox... I still prefere the manual!!

All the best

3. MarchettinoYT

MarchettinoYT Karting

Jul 10, 2010
    Italy
    Full Name:
    Marco
    Congrats on your manual 599, please post some videos while driving (and shifting ofcourse) and some pics.

Nowadays people just want the flappy paddles gearbox on supercars, most of them because they think they're cool or just to impress their friends. The good old passion and feelings for the clutch pedal are missing, it's sad that most supercar makers aren't making it anymore.

4. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Without even knowing the serial number, I can tell you that you have a rare care. But still, I'd like to know the serial number. :D

I'm happy to read this review, as I'm a die hard three-pedal enthusiast, and it's nice to see an informed review praise Ferrari's last stick-equipped V12.

5. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Can you tell us more about the difference between race and sport with the stick.

6. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Glad to hear!

I waited for my 3 pedal 360 and LOVE IT!

When I get a 599.. it will be a 3 pedal!

7. Kaivball

Kaivball Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2007
    Kalifornia
    I saw that car there. Glad you bought it.

Kai

8. tajaro

tajaro Formula Junior

Mar 22, 2009
    Gulfport Florida
    Full Name:
    Erik V
    Good for you man! Agree it's a driving style issue. I've theorized it's due to the relatively higher torgue at low RPM and the low flywheel weight and tendancy to over-rev in a fraction of a second. My wife drives my car and I tell her to just let the clutch out and add throttle only after it starts to roll. Never an issue that way and my car is nothing compared to yours.

Congratulations on probably the rarest of all modern Ferraris.

9. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    My short experience with a 3 pedal 599 didn't fall into your 3 scenarios, but it was fun overall. It definitely has the cool factor and lots of driver involvement. Congrats!

10. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

ScuderiaWithStickPlease F1 World Champ

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    Congratulations, and thanks for taking the time to share your experiences with a manual 599!

11. Dipsomaniac

Dipsomaniac F1 Veteran

Mar 23, 2006
    Doha/Sydney
    Full Name:
    Derek K
    great stuff. looking forward to the pics & vid

12. Fiorano57

Fiorano57 Formula 3
    BANNED

Dec 23, 2010
    #12 Fiorano57, May 11, 2012
    Last edited: May 11, 2012
    So Iam guessing the test drivers who wrote articles on the manual 599 fit one of those categories? Why are there so few made and only for basically one year ?

"Something was wrong with the car they drove. For example, maybe they kept it in “Sport” mode instead of “Race”… That does seem to make a difference in driving a bolt action v. a paddle shifter version."

Are you saying Sport mode is useless for a manual 599? Why have to compromise?

"I've theorized it's due to the relatively higher torgue at low RPM and the low flywheel weight and tendancy to over-rev in a fraction of a second."

This is one of the low points I have READ....

Iam happy you like it...Iam not a high skilled driver so when the speeds are higher I really like the fact that I can pay more attention to the road without having to worry about taking one hand off the wheel and one less pedal to worry about,lol.
    I know your answer will be that thats the fun of a high performance car and part of its soul...Many happy miles:)

13. 575Mike

575Mike Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I don't know about "articles" written by "test drivers", but perhaps you could provide a link to those articles? In any event, it's a subjective thing.

I did not write it was "useless", but assuming I did, a 599 manual is without compromise; it is rather one dimensional, some would say archaic, in comparison to the F1. Hence, the appeal for some people. (like me!)

The F1 is quite satisfying to drive. I think what has me so enamored with the manual 599 is that the manual 599 is the last remnant to the past. :)

14. Dutchman

Dutchman F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 4, 2002
    EU
    Full Name:
    Ton
    Congratulations Mike,

You made the right choice. The three pedal Ferrari is a real drivers car!! ;)
    Your 599 has the ultimate combination of stunning classic Ferrari looks with hypermodern Ferrari technology.
    Any pictures?

Sport mode in a manual Ferrari does all the same things as in an F1 Ferrari without the faster gear change.
    That part is up to you, and THAT is where the fun starts. :)

15. Ferris Bueller

Ferris Bueller Formula 3

Mar 23, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Dominic
    Congrats Mike
    When it comes to cars you dont mess around!
    Glad to see you are back with something even nicer then your scud. Your Scud was very nice but a manual 599 is super rare and must be a thrill to drive
    Good luck.

-Dominic

16. 575Mike

575Mike Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Thanks for the compliments/congrats everyone! I will have photos soon! And then a video!

:)

17. Kaivball

Kaivball Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2007
    Kalifornia
    Several of us drooled over that car when we saw it at the dealership.

Kai

18. Koizu

Koizu Karting

Apr 11, 2012
    Portugal
    Congrats!

19. ed dantes

ed dantes Karting

Nov 28, 2010
    Bethlehem, PA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Mike,

Congrats on the new car. Sounds awesome, post some pics soon.
    Also, are you gonna be 599mike now?

20. Dutchman

Dutchman F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 4, 2002
    EU
    Full Name:
    Ton
    Yes pics please. :)

21. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    I believe it is! The 458 is the first "production" model Ferrari V8 without a transmission choice, and I believe the F12Berlinetta will be the first V12 with only paddles. The California is available in a stick, but not in the US. The manual 599 is a rare treasure.

22. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    The FF is paddle-only as well.

23. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    Fantastic! Congratulations! Welcome to the club :D A wonderful machine, and the last of its kind :(

(fwiw, there seems to be some "negative press" spread about these fantastic machines, mostly by those with no direct experience i think)

24. tfazio

tfazio Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Michigan
    Not to hijack the thread but carbon could you post pics of a California with a stick? You could put it in the California forum if you wish. I did not know a true manual was available in the California in Europe. Thanks.

575mike - congratulations on the 599. 599's are already rare but yours is so unique due to the transmission. I was lucky enough to be a passenger in a 599 GTB a few years back. I was very impressed with the F-1 transmission but I could see why you would want a true manual, especially if you are well experienced driver.

25. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    #25 PAP 348, May 13, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017