The 348/355 Light Thread (OEM vs GE Nighthawk vs HIR vs HID) | Page 5 | FerrariChat

The 348/355 Light Thread (OEM vs GE Nighthawk vs HIR vs HID)

Discussion in '348/355' started by No Doubt, Oct 16, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    Did you ever test the Phillips with a light meter? It would be interesting to see if they are brighter than the Toshibas.

2. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I did not. And while I own a digital light meter, the test would not be relevant unless I had both types to test against.

3. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    #103 LetsJet, Jan 14, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2011
    I got this email from him today:

"Hello- Before I ship the bulbs, you may want to check the bulb types; Ferrarris aren't listed in the Sylvania online guide. Generally cars will have 2 HIR9012 lows and 2 HIR9011 highs. Your owner's manual should have the answer.

Regards,
    Max"

It's the 9012 for the lows, no? Which ones should I tell him. BTW- I thought he would know.

4. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Why can't you simply go back and reread the thread? ;)

You need the 9012 for the low beams. Up to you if you want to replace the high beams as well. I didn't bother, I rarely use the high beams, and when I do, they have plenty of reach. The low beam is the area that needed improvement.

5. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    I did.... Just looking for confirmation as I thought the seller would know for sure. He confused me by my mistake in confusing him.

Thanks - Lights on the way

6. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    So what are folks using now. I dont drive at night much but did last night and my lights are dull. Lear jet landing lights?

7. sevminasyan

sevminasyan Formula 3

Jun 24, 2008
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #107 sevminasyan, Feb 25, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
    I am going to chime in but not reveal too much for now. Ernie be my witness since we have already test fitted LM style headlights on his 348 for fittment. It will include 2.5" projector with HIDs for the low beam and a mini ractangular lense for the highs, obviously covered by plexi of some sort. Things looking positive for now and hopefully by fall they will be ready.

8. Extreme

Extreme F1 Rookie

May 26, 2010
    Northern Utah
    Full Name:
    Erick
    Sorry I don't know what LM style lights are?

I recently fitted my stock 355 lights with factory HID bulbs and ballast for the low beams. I had to modify the bulb bases to fit in the factory halogen sockets. Yes, there are aftermarket HID bulbs that will fit in the halogen sockets but I wanted to know that I have the best HID bulbs that I could get.

9. sevminasyan

sevminasyan Formula 3

Jun 24, 2008
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    They are the fixed mounted headlights. I did not know LMs either til' I got into this addiction.
    I would just refer to them as fixed headlights. Saves weight, looks great and helps airflow

10. surfwolf

surfwolf Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 14, 2012
    Bethany, OR
    Full Name:
    Michael Wolfe
    I hope this development project is very successful, if this comes out I will be a VERY early adapter!

rob.kruiswijk likes this.
  11. Extreme

Extreme F1 Rookie

May 26, 2010
    Northern Utah
    Full Name:
    Erick
    Ah now I understand what your doing....

12. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee

Our shop can make borosilicate (pyrex) flat covers if you need. They can even be tempered for extra impact strength.

26street likes this.
  13. sevminasyan

sevminasyan Formula 3

Jun 24, 2008
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Will be in touch Tim, for sure. Let me get the final fittment and we will talk.

Steve

14. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I am still very happy with the performance of the HIR bulbs on my F355. I am not big on adding HID to cars that did not originally come with them....looks odd to me.

If anyone is "on the fence" on this upgrade, by all means do it. Before I installed these bulbs, the output and beam pattern were so ill defined, I couldn't even try to adjust the lights as I could not see where the cut off was. With the new, brighter bulbs, it was very easy to see the well defined cut off, and made the simple adjustment a snap.

One thing I will mention on bulb life. I would estimate that these bulbs only last about half as long as the stock bulbs. I found this out, as I bought two sets of the HIRs as my BMW uses the same bulbs for the fog lights. I run my headlights and fog lights all the time on the daily driver BMW for safety reasons (seems people always turn in front of me or dart out from a driveway) anyway, both bulbs burned out within about 3 months of each other recently. So I got a bit over two years of daily use out of them...about half what I expect from the oem bulbs. Now on my F355, which is not driven nearly as much, this is probably a non issue...just and FYI.

15. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
  16. XndRb

XndRb Rookie

Feb 22, 2020
    Full Name:
    ARM
    Anyone known the code product of 348 GTC/LM front lights? I think them were Hella products, but I don't know if it's real. I need only the 4 square lights.
    Thanks.

17. ILLA NOIZ

ILLA NOIZ Karting

Mar 28, 2015
    Concord, North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Drew
    One of the first things I did when I purchased my 348 was swapped out the headlight and fog light bulbs for LED's. Huge improvment and excellent light output. The key is ensuring the Bulb design sets the LED's at the correct position to mimick the filament placement on the Halogens.

26street likes this.
  18. rob.kruiswijk

rob.kruiswijk Formula 3

Jun 15, 2014
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Do you need only the glass or complete assembly?

https://www.superformance.co.uk/348/lights.html

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat