The 3 california spyder now brought back from Zagato coachwork | FerrariChat

The 3 california spyder now brought back from Zagato coachwork

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by bitzman, Dec 11, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    ( might have alreaey asked this so I apoloize if I did as I can't find it in SEARCH model

2491GT started life as a 250 GT SWB California Spyder in 1961, the 17th of 56 'short-wheelbase' California Spyders built by Scaglietti ( I have also heard 57 as the number built).

Then its downhill slide began when
    , in 1969 , the Scaglietti California Spyder was sold to Luigi Chinetti via PARAUTO and then delivered to Carrozzeria Zagato. Chinetti commissioned a new open Spyder body for the car in time for the Turin Motor Show for October of 1970. It is hard to believe a car this ugly took a lot of meetings to arrive at, but I guess you can say that Chinetti was convinced flat planes with slight bows (a la GTC/4) were in and rounded curves were out and he wanted to be ahead of the curve. Consant revisions forced the debut to the October 1971 Turin Motor Show. The car was given the name "3Z" by Zagato.

Now I heard it has been brought back to full California spyder bodywork. I was wondering what a modern day rebody like that would cost, and how much the car was sold for at auction with the 3Z body so if you add the rebodying cost, where would you be at in terms of investment now? Not to worry, though, I think soon California spyders will be $12-14 million.
    I don't think you could sell the 3Z body to anyone....

2. Terra

Terra F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2004
    (1) 2491 GT has never been sold at auction.

(2) Spider California SWBs with factory covered headlights are already there (i.e. 2903 GT recently sold for $13.8 million hammer at Gooding Pebble Beach this past Aug).

3. MonoSpecchio

MonoSpecchio Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2006
    SoCal in the IE
    #3 MonoSpecchio, Dec 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here is the old ad for 2491, listed by Sheehan. I never knew Zagato rebodied a 250GT before. I even like angular cars and horizontal lines over lights (I own an '85 Testarossa after all), but what an atrocity! Are there really two more of these made?

1961 Ferrari 250 GT SWB 3Z Zagato for sale: Anamera

Were Cali Spyders worth little in 1970 or did Chinetti just have money to burn?

I can't believe someone would take a torch to the bodywork on a SWB California Spyder and restyle it like this. Zagato has some good designs, but their Ferrari creations are not lookers at all. Here's their take on a Testarossa. They should stick to Aston Martins, IMHO
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    I heard the same thing some time ago but have yet to see any pictures confirming this. The new interior is nothing like the original.Nice clean look but certainly nothing like the original. tongascrew

5. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Discussion belongs in the "Market" subforum. Thread moved.