That Sheehan Fellow... | FerrariChat

That Sheehan Fellow...

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by 1974gt4, Dec 5, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 1974gt4

1974gt4 Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 19, 2009
    in my garage...
    Full Name:
    Dr. Italiani
    ...speaks from both sides. Those of you who have heard this oracle speak on the 4xx series cars will know what I mean....no harm in comprimising one's self for a bit of money, eh Michael?

We are pleased to offer 1984 Ferrari 400i s/n 50807. This 400i was special ordered by Greg Garrison with a 5-speed manual transmission, finished from new in Watermelon paint with a beige leather interior and a request to Pininfarina “to think of special things to add to this car.” As a result of Garrison’s close ties to both Maranello and Pininfarina, this car features many rare modifications and characteristics that set it apart from other 400is. It has a number of upgrades based on the forthcoming 412, such as color coded bumpers, electric seats and unique chrome trim. The hood scoop is two-and-a-half times larger than on other 400is. The interior is fitted with front and rear A/C and has a double-insulated leather headliner, extra sound deadening and heat-resistant panels, specifically designed for desert driving conditions.

Introduced at the 1976 Paris Auto Show, the Ferrari 400 Series were the latest 2+2s to continue Ferrari’s tradition of offering true four-passenger luxury sport-touring cars fitted with every possible amenity and signaled the first time a factory-installed automatic was an option. The sedate but attractive Pininfarina designed body was accented by five-spoke magnesium wheels. This 400i is powered by a 4823cc V-12 engine with dual overhead cams and 315 horsepower and is fitted with the much more desirable five-speed manual gearbox offering much better performance than the more common automatic transmission.

The current owner purchased 50807 in 2007 from the Gooding & Company Monterey auction representing the Garrison estate. This two-owner 400i has only 58,684 miles from new and is a rare opportunity to own a unique “one-off” Ferrari with dual A/C and five speed performance at a truly affordable price. Priced at only $49,000.

2. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Same on 330 2+2, both series. He ignored them until they topped $100K

3. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    Him again. He fails to mention the "clumsy Chrysler K car styling, cheapie Fiat dashboard switchgear" in his advert.

4. aidanparte

aidanparte Formula 3

Jul 18, 2004
    The car doesn't seem to have rear seat belts. The black/gold-painted crease down the centre of the car ruins the look to my eyes.

Aidan

5. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
  6. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Ah Michael Sheehan...

What can you say. He is clearly one of the most successful Ferrari brokers out there- and LOVEs sniffing the butts of multi millionaires who will NEVER drive their cars.

His opinions wouldn't be so distasteful if he did not constantly condescend... my favorite line of his was in the Septmeber issue of Sports Car Market- Referring to modern cars like the 348 and 355 he states "These cars go to players with fewer assets who are also focused on preserving their limited cash." Well sure I think 348 and 355 owners has "fewer assets" than Ralph Lauren, but you DON'T buy a Ferrari to preserve your "Limited cash".

I don't know Sheehan's fniancial situation- but I'd be willing to bet most 355 owners have more "assets" than he does.

7. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    He sells used cars. Expensive used cars but used cars nonetheless. Not that that is bad but it is that, nothing more and nothing less.

There is an inverse relationship between condescension and class.

8. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
  9. Ashman

Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    That's where the PPI comes in for the save!

10. Ashman

Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Some factoids about 50807 that aren't mentioned in the Sheehan ad: It sold for $46,200 including buyer's premium at the Gooding auction in August of 2007, it has a radio but no external stick antenna, the black side stripe is ugly, ugly front marker lights, aftermarket shift knob, wood rimmed Nardi look steering wheel, apparently electric seats and you can see extra switches on the console, some sort of aftermarket ignition coil (?) on left front side of engine compartment, yellow driving/fog lights, no mention of miles or services done in last 4 years, engine compartment fairly dirty, old looking TRX tires, car may actually be in Minnesota if you want to see it.

11. 1974gt4

1974gt4 Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 19, 2009
    in my garage...
    Full Name:
    Dr. Italiani

He's a car salesman. Nuff said.

12. Tomax

Tomax Karting

Apr 27, 2004
    I am happy for him. He has learnt a craft and makes a living from it. He's not B.E. the second, but he's a used car salesman.

Some videos to watch, laugh, and appreciate TS does his job his way. There's eBay and the internet and 100s of other brokers you can buy cars and stereos from. (and am sure at least one person that clicks on these will have a Ferrari jacket and a beard)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19CvEO3Riy0[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6DRZlytJpQ[/ame]

13. vroomgt

vroomgt Formula 3

Aug 23, 2004
    Brisbane Australia
    Full Name:
    John ARBA
    Perhaps some frustrated "experts" here?

What's the saying ? Those than can do, those that can't teach..

I can remember him being a generous contributor on Internet forums once, as we're a number of others that no longer bother sharing their extensive and unique views because of dullard threads like this.

14. Ashman

Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    This is hardly a thread that contains toxic criticism and is very tame compared to some of the accusations leveled against him in the vintage thread from time to time.

All it is doing is pointing out the contradictory opinions of a car salesman depending on whether he is a buyer or seller. I doubt that he is so thin skinned that he is offended by this or that this is anything that he hasn't heard many times before from multiple sources since that goes with the territory.

15. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    I think listening to him is a bit like watching Fast Money on CNBC in the states. What is hot and has value can change from week to week depending on outlook, etc. From that point of view a cars value or collectability can change drastically over several years. Today the 400 series has a lower value. If in 10 years they go to six figures he will be correct to say they have collector value. He didn't necessarily change, the market did. But I also have heard that he becomes the saleman for whatever he currently has in stock. Never knew a car salesman to tell a client he is about to sell them a worthless car.

16. 1974gt4

1974gt4 Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 19, 2009
    in my garage...
    Full Name:
    Dr. Italiani

....he's not a market predictor...he's a reporter.

He doesn't make the news unless he is a buyer as a new market record maker by buying a SWB or the like.

Contrarily, and respectfully, Mr. vroomgt, I think he doesn't really have any access to information or views that any of us don't already. He's no smarter than any of us. We just don't choose to watch transcations, (and track them as well), that happen out of our control....he does, and then 'advises his clients' based on such. I sincerely think he has no more insight than any of us.

Markets and transcactions are made by a meeting of the minds. Mr. Sheehan creates self serving value by placing buyers and sellers together offering that same "advice" as 'guru' that this is a 'smart' move....and gets paid for completing the transaction.

Stock brokers do the same thing. It's just Commission sales.

I just find his hipocrasy distasteful and opportunistic especially regarding 4xx series cars which he has been quite adamant about that they are sub-par Ferrari's with no future value.

I salavate in their presence; therefore, I differ in opinion.

17. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I don't think the old school guys like Sheehan that made their money off market inefficiencies and broad experiences are big fans of FerrariChat that level the playing field and remove many inefficiencies.

18. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    that post right there is full of wisdom ...

and i ain't just blown' wind up somebody's skirt.

19. glenv6

glenv6 Formula 3

Jul 4, 2011
    New York
    Full Name:
    Glen
    I don’t have any skin in this game, but I just read this article and I am left with a bit of a different impression.

The last part of the article was called "Following the Ferrari money" where Sheehan was contrasting the current nature of sales at the very high end of the market with the nature of sales happening at the middle and low end. His point is that the "deep-pocket players" with a lot of "very discretionary income" are bidding those high-end cars into the stratosphere (to values they have never been at before), whereas the “players with fewer assets” at the low end of the market are not paying higher prices, thus his words, “preserving their limited cash”.

So I don’t think Sheehan set out to be condescending to the low end buyer, I think, aside from trying to be clever with his words, he simply means that in these market conditions buyers at the lower end of the market are not currently out bidding one another as their counterparts at the middle and top are.

I would gladly take $32K for my 308 today, but the next guy is giving his away for $28K, so down it goes…

http://ferraris-online.com/pages/article.php?reqart=SCM_201111_SS

Cheers :)

20. glenv6

glenv6 Formula 3

Jul 4, 2011
    New York
    Full Name:
    Glen
    FChat does make for a sharp market! :)

21. JasonMiller

JasonMiller F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 16, 2004
    Co Springs/ Texas
    Full Name:
    Jason Miller
    Sheehan was on Chasing Classic Cars today... I recalled his name from this thread.

22. vroomgt

vroomgt Formula 3

Aug 23, 2004
    Brisbane Australia
    Full Name:
    John ARBA

Respectfully, I don't think that unless you have been around the cars for thirty or so years in a number of different capacities on a world scale, owning, restoring, selling, buying finding and running a Ferrari workshop as well as researching and writing about them how can this can possibly be the case?

Not to mention the contacts he would have...

Perhaps you have - I do not know.

No amount of surfing this site will provide the same knowledge..

I don't think anyone can make accurate predictions in the Ferrari market with any level of certainty at all.

It is too fragmented, driven by too many emotional factors and evolving ever more.

The only market figures you will ever get here are historical and quite frequently they are riddled with vagaries so as to be almost useless for the casual observer even if exchange rates are taken into account.

How is it possible without thoroughly inspecting two similar cars on either side of a continent to compare like for like?

Which figures reported are net of taxes commissions freight and a multitude of other often not mentioned costs?

If some of you think trawling and chatting here can somehow put you on a level playing field with those who have the experience as outlined above well and good I say in all sincerity.

I can't definitively say if MS is self serving or not - it's likely he is and who isnt?

That doesn't negate the significant voluntary contributions of knowledge that he has made over his career to many people he has never met or earned a dime off.

23. GrigioAlloy

GrigioAlloy Karting

Sep 28, 2009
    Netherlans
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Well then I have a question.
    So far everytime I sold my specialty/classic/collector car the price has started to rise shortly after that. Does that make me an expert or should I put my 412 up for sale?

So if you want the value of your 4xx go up. Talk me into selling mine.
    I am pretty sure it will go up soon afterwards.

Sorry guys. Sheehan makes money selling Ferrari's and he knows what he is doing.
    If he can sell a few 4xx a year and make a profit he will do it, for all we know he may
    hate 275's but as long as they bring a premium he will sell them.

Don' t we all do a job and try to make the best of it.
    I spoke to him twice and I think he is ok as a salesman.

24. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    #24 full_garage, Dec 14, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
    Respectfully- OF COURSE he's trying to be disrespectful and condescending- that's the whole point of selling any top-line collectible- to impart to it's purchaser a feeling of invincibility- I've sold more than a few pre- CBS Strats and assured the buyer that he would now be viewed as a REAL collector since he had one of the "Holy Grail" pieces.

Collecting is all about superiority- Guys like Sheehan do it beautifully and very successfully- It just sucks cause there ARE guys in the trade who sell MUCH more expensive cars and don't behave in that fashion.

Guys who own 308s and 355s are NOT collectors- I own 4 Ferraris- i do not collect them- I drive them and enjoy them and I plan to use them UP.

We are enthusiasts- BIG DIFFERENCE- to constantly condescend whilst comparing apples to oranges is foolish yet he has been taking this tack for a decade or more. A successful businessman with a Testarossa is not a billionaire collector - yet to constantly reinforce the fact that the those who are not billionaires are somehow timid or weak or scared is mindless jibberish.

25. tajaro

tajaro Formula Junior

Mar 22, 2009
    Gulfport Florida
    Full Name:
    Erik V
    #25 tajaro, Dec 14, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2011
    I thought his article in the latest Forza was excellent. Thoughtful and pragmatic for both how to maintain value and how to multiple it when ready to transact.

Seems like a lot of knowledge tempered by experience. Valuable data point I'd say.

FWIW. IMHO. TEHO, etc etc