[Texas Race #4] JUN 13-14th, 2009 - NASA at Hallett | FerrariChat

[Texas Race #4] JUN 13-14th, 2009 - NASA at Hallett

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by rob lay, Jun 15, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    #1 rob lay, Jun 15, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    A challenging weekend for me. Started out getting the trailer and truck stuck before leaving when we got over 5 inches of rain in about 16 hours. That delayed my arrival for the test day, but I still got 2 solid sessions in late Friday. Car running great and had a new set of slicks for Saturday. Qualified on pole in 5 car ST2 field breaking lap record by 1.2 seconds. A C5 Z06 was only a tenth back. Good start keeping the lead, but the vette was all over me, I was driving very hard and taking defensive lines to stay in front. The vette finally made a good pass on me and I started overdriving the car trying to keep up. I had a standard 4 off on corner exit staying in the power, but car snap spun on me when I hit bumps and tried to get back on the "racing surface". That flat spotted my brand new Pirelli slicks and also deactivated my ABS. I spun again 2 laps latter trying to learn again driving a non-ABS car. :rolleyes: Car was hurt, so limped around. When the vette and I were pushing each other I lowered lap record down to 1:22.4 with him a tenth back. I would rather of had the win than the lap record though. Rest of weekend I was slow as on my practice tires, the driving was three times as hard for laps 2 seconds slower. I couldn't compete with the vette, but had some great fights for 2nd place. The vette went on to break my short lived lap record with a 1:21.5. That is very fast, the SCCA T1 record is 1:23.0.

The white Porsche is FC user jakermc and white x-World Challenge Audi user vlamgat.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    Rob, got to hand it to you, not many people in the country racing a 355 against other makes. Good to see it...

By the way, what was that modified looking thing in one of the pictures.

3. redcar1

redcar1 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    austin, tx
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Nice Job there Rob!

Very quick times! New Pirellis can be very addictive......

I would love to have been there, but couldn't pass up the opportunity to join Risi at Lemans, which was awesome.

I will try to make at least one Texas/OK race this year.

See you later,

Mark

4. gatorgreg

gatorgreg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2004
    NAPLES
    Great pictures Rob.