[Texas Race #2] MAR 14-15th, 2009 - NASA at MSR Cresson | FerrariChat

[Texas Race #2] MAR 14-15th, 2009 - NASA at MSR Cresson

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by rob lay, Feb 24, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
  2. scottypoz

scottypoz Karting

May 8, 2006
    trying to get mine there, talking to nasa about getting my license

3. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Weekend is almost here.

Right now for Ferraris it looks like 3 in Super Touring 2. (2) 355 C's and (1) 360 C. There is also a C5 Z06 and a 350Z preregistered. I don't know what the final turnout will be.

4. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    I'm glad I saw this thread, I almost forgot that it was coming up.

5. redcar1

redcar1 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    austin, tx
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I'd love to be there, but can't make it.
    Mark

6. drjohngober

drjohngober Formula 3

Jul 23, 2006
    Cville and Gbury Tex
    Full Name:
    Dr.John Gober
    We are planning on attending. Hope weather will cooperate. Rob, got any rain tires?

7. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    oh yes, I love the rain!

8. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
  9. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    A second and 3 firsts for the weekend. (2) 355 C's and a 360 C's along with Z06 in ST2 class. More Z06's and Factory Five Cobra in ST1. GTS class was full of Porsches and BMW's. Here's a good video from a 350 Z that a few laps into the race caught up to our pack of Keith's turbo miata, Jay's 911, my 355 C, and a Z06 fighting it out. You can see how much trouble I'm having passing Keith (username kverges here) and once I get by I focus on catching the 911.

http://vimeo.com/3709689

10. gatorgreg

gatorgreg Formula 3

Dec 13, 2004
    NAPLES
    That was hilarious Rob nice driving. You were very patient. Not me! I would of stuck my nose in and let him know I was there. Nice blocking by the Miata.
    If this was the Spec Miata series he would of been booted into the in field after the first corner with that kind of driving.

How is the car running?

11. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    sure looks to me like the Yellow Miata took defensive lines but always left racing room. Now sticking one's nose in after turn-in might be an effective way to (1) make contact; and (2) spin a competitor, but Rob is a graduate of close racing in Spec RX7 and beyond that sort of amateurish behavior and so the racing was close.

Sean was a true competitor as well and the Yellow car left room at the apex or track out when they went in together.

Looks like a hard race to me, but fair.

In the Spec Miata race many of the same defensive lines were used early in the race and no contact.

12. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    ha, that dang yellow Miata! ;)

The Miata wasn't blocking a single time. One move is defensive, two moves or back and forth is blocking. The car in front has every right to get off the normal line to make it harder for a pass. I stuck my nose in there several times but unless you are along side the other car they have every right to come down on you which the Miata did. You see me several times in big bend stick my nose in and then to jab the brakes as the Miata turned in as my job to avoid contact. Most newer racers don't understand this and something I didn't learn until National racing post Spec. RX7. I went back years later to do a Spec. RX7 race and another car stuck their nose in and when I came down on him it spun both of us. At the top level of amateur racing it is expected that if you only have a nose then the other car won't be leaving racing room.

13. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    Plus a Miata is WAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYY cheaper to fix than a Challenge car!

All that said, I could have been nicer as I was clearly holding Rob up, but then I would not have had much "racing."

I was shocked to find that I really did have a better time getting my ass kicked in this group than driving SM; kudos to all of the competitors that let me lead them for at least a little while.

14. gatorgreg

gatorgreg Formula 3

Dec 13, 2004
    NAPLES
    #14 gatorgreg, Mar 18, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2009