Texas DPS response to front license plate law. | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Texas DPS response to front license plate law.

Discussion in 'Texas' started by mark5scuba, Sep 17, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Oh Lord! Are we really going in this direction?

2. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    No sir even though the fault will be laid upon me as usual.

3. drjohngober

drjohngober Formula 3

Jul 23, 2006
    Cville and Gbury Tex
    Full Name:
    Dr.John Gober
    Hey Greg, You know we all like ribbing each other- all is good among friends.
    I have enjoyed following your work and pictures on the Miata- my wife used to have one and I have been thinking about getting her one and upgrading it as you have been doing.
    Mind posting a pic of the front of your Miata? :))

4. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    [​IMG]

5. drjohngober

drjohngober Formula 3

Jul 23, 2006
    Cville and Gbury Tex
    Full Name:
    Dr.John Gober
    Looks like a fun car- one of my buddies races them at TMR - beats a lot of F and P cars.

Aerodynamically, you could pick up some speed if you removed your front license plate :))

6. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    #56 texasmr2, Dec 9, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
    It is a DD (eats traffic like a fat kid eats cake) not a track car so I'm good (and legal).

7. drjohngober

drjohngober Formula 3

Jul 23, 2006
    Cville and Gbury Tex
    Full Name:
    Dr.John Gober
    Not to go off topic but cool car. Please keep up the pics on the other thread.I am hoping to find a nice specimen to personally restore to as new condition for my wife.

8. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    #58 texasmr2, Dec 9, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
    I will :).

9. Ferrari Envy

Ferrari Envy Formula Junior

Apr 27, 2009
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Cameron DeMille
    While I agree with you, it seems this is no longer true

Defense argued that his rich parents had not taught him any responsibilities or taught him right from wrong. Gets off with probation and 0 jail time.

Texas rich kid who killed 4 in drunken car crash spared jail - NY Daily News

10. Ffinally

Ffinally Formula Junior

Jun 12, 2010
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Charles
    If he's so disadvantaged because of his upbringing (or lack thereof), why aren't his parents in jail?

Right now I'm ashamed of the legal system in my home state of Texas.

11. Ferrari Envy

Ferrari Envy Formula Junior

Apr 27, 2009
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Cameron DeMille
    This is what I don't understand. they said he was literally not responsible, because his parents never taught him the difference. So wouldn't they become the responsible party?

This drives me up the wall.

12. Faber

Faber Formula Junior

May 5, 2011
    TX Hill Country
    Full Name:
    Tom G.
    Re: Front License plates: I've never had one on the 85 500SL Euro since 2009?- keep it in the trunk - commented on once by a constable and I showed him the plate in the trunk and mentioned I was on the way to my mechanics - silly rule imo but red meat for some I suppose.

13. dmundy

dmundy Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 11, 2010
    Unspecified
    Full Name:
    Arthur Dent
    If you guys think the license plate laws are silly (and they are) have you noticed the change in window tint laws? It's beyond ridiculous.

14. Speed Racerette

Speed Racerette Formula 3

May 24, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    She wants Revenge
    I haven't..maybe because I can't read them through my dark tinted windows.

15. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    Jeez......NOW how have our jeenyus byurocraps decided to diminish our laws' credibility and relevance even further?

16. dmundy

dmundy Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 11, 2010
    Unspecified
    Full Name:
    Arthur Dent
    My kid hauler flunked it's state inspection because the tint was too dark. It was legal when the tint was done in 2011. Apparently it's not enough that my phone is tapped by NSA, everyone has to be able to see in my car as well.

17. dmundy

dmundy Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 11, 2010
    Unspecified
    Full Name:
    Arthur Dent
    Exactly...

18. Rnye

Rnye Karting

Mar 17, 2014
    Las Vegas, NV
    We are thinking of moving back to TX and I came across this thread.

For those that aren't aware this is a pretty cool little device that hides your plate.

- Hide The Plate.com

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v34ziGr9XQ0]The Motorized Hidden License Plate kit on an Audi R8 - HideThePlate.com - YouTube[/ame]

Good for car shows/just messing with the cop. "What officer? I do have a front plate.. are you sure..?" pop it out.. LOL. :)

19. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    #69 texasmr2, Apr 12, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2014
    The "light transmittance" and "luminous reflectance" was apparently the issue yet few officers carry the gauge to properly judge an infraction because of budget issues so the purchase of said tools are "out of pocket". Basically the driver and front passenger windows cannot be too dark as to hide the operator or the front seat passenger or obstruct the rearward vision of the operator of the vehicle.

So anyway those pesky plates!!! Mount or drill but displaying it is not only the law but most importantly can save one from a hassle that could have been avoided. Yes I know most have grown weary of my opinion and participation regarding this subject but no one can say I am wrong. I say this with only the best intentions.

20. CAracer

CAracer Karting

Oct 26, 2012
    Pflugerville, Texas
    Full Name:
    John Blanor
    I just saw this on Corvette forum. If the bumper contours are close, this should solve our concerns on mounting and drilling for a front license plate.

If the contours are not close, maybe a call to the manufacture could encourage them to design one for our cars too. Their price is certainly reasonable and inexpensive.

C7 Corvette Stingray 2014+ Drill Free Removable License Plate

If the link doesn't work, let me know. You may have to copy and paste it to your browser.

21. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    I just returned from class for "State and Federal Law Updates" and learned that failure to properly display a front license plate is now subject to a $200 fine even for a first offense which is a huge increase in the fine cost. Just thought I would share this info and I am not trying to be a "kill joy". I even brought up the concerns people have on this forum (in this thread) and was told by the instructor, who has over 30yrs in law enforcement, that the level of tolerance by LEO's is growing smaller by the day.

On a positive note though on March 1st of 2015 emissions stickers will no longer be issued/required for display. One must still meet and pass emissions testing but the information will be sent from the testing station directly to the DPS. So one can still receive a citation for non-compliance. Less clutter on our windshield's is something I am all for. Like many I have always relied on the sticker for a reminder and it was not discussed how notifications will be sent but I assume it will be mailed just like the registration renewal.

22. CAracer

CAracer Karting

Oct 26, 2012
    Pflugerville, Texas
    Full Name:
    John Blanor
    Great news on the emission stickers. I moved here from CA and they require no stickers on the windshield. So I"m happy to see one of them going away.

23. TXbarney

TXbarney Rookie

Dec 26, 2015
    There are exceptions........
    In the opening post the DPS officer says "All Texas registered motor vehicles must have a front and rear license plate mounted on the most exterior part of the vehicle."

If you pull up the "Application for Antique License Plates" the second paragraph says
    "Only one plate will be issued"

I carry this application in my "antique" car in the event any officer stops me for only one plate....I guess it is a cost reduction to only issue one plate for antique vehicles but all the other must have two.

Should you choose to use "old" year of manufacturer on you antique vehicle, then you must show both plates (2) when you register the car with the old plates

24. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    If you have Texas "Antique Plates" on your car, and you don't drive like an idiot, I can assure you of one thing......you'll never get stopped. As soon as an officer sees that little tag, or sees the antique plate itself, they always peel off and go bother someone else.

25. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    Only problem with that is car has to be at least 25 years old (or more not sure) in order to get those plates in TX...so 458 cannot be registered with them.

Hate the plate law but cops need it to shoot radar on--hence why required.