Testing Cold Start Valve | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Testing Cold Start Valve

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by hnichols, Mar 3, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    No such thing as a dumb question. Only one side of the connector should have the 12V. I would use a volt meter to look for 12V. Then the other side should have continuity to ground. If no continuity to ground with a cold engine, then either the wiring to the thermo time switch is bad, or the thermo time switch itself is bad.

I checked multiple parts outlets, and they all said this part was out of stock. So perhaps this is a commonly failed item, and it might be hard to find one at any price. Ricambi might know of some alternative replacement part, I would ask them.

2. hnichols

hnichols Karting

Apr 15, 2020
    Chicago IL
    Full Name:
    Hugh Nicholson
    Darn, I was hoping that this part was used on more cars of the era and would be readily available. Do you guys know if this part can be refurbished somehow? I would doubt it -- the little coil inside is probably burned out -- but I figured I'd ask.

I see used ones for sale on Ebay; I presume they work, but if this is a common wear part, they may not last long enough to be worth the installation.

3. hnichols

hnichols Karting

Apr 15, 2020
    Chicago IL
    Full Name:
    Hugh Nicholson
    An update: today I replaced the thermo-time switch. Should have been a simple and easy job, but I made it more difficult than it had to be by trying to remove the old switch using a 24mm crowsfoot wrench with an assortment of extensions. All I needed was a deep 24mm socket. Anyway, when I lifted out the old switch it depressurized the cooling system and a pool of coolant collected on the floor underneath the engine. I wasn't expecting that, but I guess it makes sense that the switch would be screwed into one of the water jackets. Anyway, do I need to bleed the cooling system now?

4. hnichols

hnichols Karting

Apr 15, 2020
    Chicago IL
    Full Name:
    Hugh Nicholson
    An update on this thread: I was able to source a new TTS from Europe, then waited almost 2 months for it to be processed by USPS. installed it, but, unfortunately, I get no voltage across the terminals of the connector to the cold start valve when cranking from cold.

So, to recap:
    the CSV is good
    the fuse is good
    new TTS, which is actually the second one I've tried. So the TTS is good.
    Yet still no voltage. Any ideas as to the next diagnostic step?

5. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Are you sure that the temperature is getting cold enough to have the TTS reset and close? If it doesn't close, the cold start injector will not fire at the next cold restart. I checked the recent Chicago weather, and you may not be there if you store the car in a garage. IME, a 70 deg F low temp, or even a little lower (and having the car at that temperature for many hours) is marginal for the TTS to reset.

One way to test a TTS is to put it in the refrigerator for a while, then measure the resistance between the W terminal and the metal body of the TTS = it should be 0 Ohms (or just a few Ohms maximum).

6. hnichols

hnichols Karting

Apr 15, 2020
    Chicago IL
    Full Name:
    Hugh Nicholson
    Thanks for the reply, Steve -- was hoping you might chime in :)

Yes, it's quite warm here, esp. in the garage. But I was under the impression that the TTS delivered current to the CSV until it reached 45 deg C (113 Fahrenheit), and it's not that warm in my garage. And the car does indeed start up, but it still takes a few of seconds of cranking (that is, it doesn't just fire up right away the way I think it should).

Anyway, I didn't know that the temp need to drop by a certain threshold for it to reset and close for the next start. So if I understand you correctly, the car might have fired up more quickly had it been a bit cooler (say 50-60 deg) than in the summer. Is that something that people experience with healthy K-Jet systems?

7. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #32 Steve Magnusson, Jul 14, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2021
    Yes, that's what I experience with my KE-Jet system here in central TX. Cold starts from about Nov~May are much "crisper" and immediate. Whereas, cold starts from about June~Oct are sluggish and labored.
    What year/version Mondial do you have, and what TTS are you using? 113980, 118790, 121778, or something else? I see that 45 deg C reference for the 121778 TTS in Service Bulletin 10-13, but it seems high-ish to me (based on the specs of the others although I have no evidence that it is wrong), and I do believe that they all have some hysteresis (i.e., it opens at temp X, but doesn't reclose until cooled down to temp Y -- with Y<X).

8. hnichols

hnichols Karting

Apr 15, 2020
    Chicago IL
    Full Name:
    Hugh Nicholson
    Interesting about the relative sluggishness of summer starts -- never knew that, but it makes sense. I still think I haven't addressed the underlying issue by replacing the TTS. I just did the refrigerator test on the TTS I replaced and it read 0.3 Ohms -- I was hoping it would fail the test miserably.

1987 (US version). The TTS is Bosch# 0 280 130 217, which I believe corresponds to Ferrari part # 121778. The 45deg is stamped into the brass body of the TTS.

9. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Yes, 121778 is used on the 1984-1989 K-Jet with Lambda US V8 models. I can maybe believe that it is designed to open at 45 deg C, but that doesn't necessarily mean that that's the temperature it resets and closes. You can make the same W terminal -to- TTS metal body resistance measurement on the unplugged TTS mounted on the car before the next cold start to see if it's closed or not. If it is closed, but you don't get a voltage at the cold start injector connector during the first seconds of the first cold start cranking attempt = that would be a (another) problem.

If you would, I would love to see you do an experiment where you take your unmounted TTS on a day when the outside temp is something like mid-80's:

1. Put it in some warm/boiling water to confirm the W terminal -to- metal body resistance is high (might not be infinite Ohms, but should be much more than your 0.3 Ohms),

2. Place it outside (in the shade) for a few hours and remeasure the W terminal -to- metal body resistance to see if it closes at that temperature. If it doesn't,

3. Take it inside for a few hours and remeasure the W terminal -to- metal body resistance to see if it closes at that temperature.

I.e., try to determine the approximate temperature where it does reset and close.

10. hnichols

hnichols Karting

Apr 15, 2020
    Chicago IL
    Full Name:
    Hugh Nicholson
    I'll definitely do the outside test, but since it's not quite hot enough here -- mid-70's for the next few days, I'll do it next week.

I realize I should have done the resistance test on the unplugged TTS you describe before I bought a new one. Since the one I replaced was open (low resistance) after some time in the fridge, it should have been giving me quick starts this spring. I suspect a wiring issue somewhere. but I'm getting ahead of myself ...

11. hnichols

hnichols Karting

Apr 15, 2020
    Chicago IL
    Full Name:
    Hugh Nicholson
    Well this isn't terribly scientific, but I put the end of the TTS in a mug of near boiling water and the resistance shot up -- something like 1300 Ohms, but I didn't have time to switch to the next highest range (200-->2000) to get an accurate reading. But I do know my old switch works.

Once I removed it from the water, the switch closed up -- resistance steadily declined back to the 0.3-0.6 range in a couple of minutes. The switch was still warm to the touch, so I suspect that even outside on a hot day it would close up in a matter of minutes. Also, it closed up only when it was in the water; initially I submerged the end of the switch for a minute or so, took it out and measured the resistance, but it was still closed (0.3 Ohms); I had to leave it submerged in the hot water for it to open. So I suspect -- again not very scientific here -- that the threshold temp is pretty close to the 45 deg. C.

Anyway, my hard start issue is (most likely) unresolved. I can live with it, particularly in summer, but I am curious as to what's wrong.

12. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    You've got that backwards -- it opens (high resistance) when in the hot water, and closes (low resistance) when it cools off. Have you measured the (unplugged) one installed on your engine at the (known) ambient temp?

Unfortunately, I don't have the wiring diagram for a 1987 US Mondial. You did write: "the fuse is good" -- does that mean that the 7.5A fuse in fuse position #9 is intact?

13. hnichols

hnichols Karting

Apr 15, 2020
    Chicago IL
    Full Name:
    Hugh Nicholson
    Yeah, I got crossed up -- sorry about that. ...
    Haven't checked the (new) switch on the car yet. I'll do that tomorrow.

Hopefully the cell phone photo of the wiring diagram is clear enough.

I replaced the 7.5 A fuse a month ago. But now that I think of it, it might be good to look at that again. Basically when I pulled out the old one the brittle plastic cracked -- the filament was intact, but the fuse didn't survive the extraction. It occurs to me that there may be some corrosion on the female contacts in the fuseboard. I'll hit that with some Deoxit. Just to eliminate that possibility.

Thanks again for the guidance, Steve -- much appreciated!
    Hugh
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Do not use any chemicals on the plastic layers of your fuseboard. It will ruin them completly !

15. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #40 Steve Magnusson, Jul 16, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2021
    I believe that that's actually the euro 3.2 K-Jet without Lambda injection schematic (not the US K-Jet with Lambda injection schematic). The wiring for the cold start injector may be similar on both, but they might not (I note that the 7.5A fuse for the cold start injector is in the same physical fuse position in both OMs although it's called fuse #10 in the euro OM and fuse #9 in the US OM). The cover and/or title page for the 1987 US version 3.2 Mondial wiring diagram would look something like this cover and/or title page for the 1988 US version 3.2 Mondial where it specifically has "U.S. VERSION" printed on the cover and/or the title page (unfortunately, all I have is this single image of the 1988 US wiring diagram):

16. hnichols

hnichols Karting

Apr 15, 2020
    Chicago IL
    Full Name:
    Hugh Nicholson
    The cover page of my wiring diagrams doesn't have the "US Version" across the top. (It's listed as Ferrari Manual #488/87). I mistakenly thought it was inclusive (although I know the euro version don't have the O2 sensor and the US models do.)

Guido: thanks for the warning! Yes, I do know that you shouldn't spray chemicals into the fuse box. I was planning on applying some Deoxit to the spades of the fuse and inserting it, thereby insuring that the chemical comes into contact only with the copper contacts.

17. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    I've got a pdf copy of the 488/87 wiring diagram, and it's definitely only for euro version (K-Jet without Lambda, Fig 2) and CH88 version (KE3-Jet with Lambda, Fig 4) 3.2 Mondial. Ferrari doesn't use the expression "euro version" like we do -- for them, it's just the "standard" version, so on documents for the standard version, they just don't put any label at all (whereas, documents for US version will specifically have "US Version" printed on them somewhere).

18. hnichols

hnichols Karting

Apr 15, 2020
    Chicago IL
    Full Name:
    Hugh Nicholson
    So I've confirmed that the switch in the car is closed at cold start up -- 0.3 Ohms -- but 0 V from the CSV connector on cranking. Double checked the #9 fuse (7.5A) and confirmed that it's good. The contacts don't look corroded.

19. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Since all we have is the euro schematic for a reference -- if the bottommost wire in your w connector is a BN (white-black) wire, first unplug the w connector and inspect it. If seems OK, plug it back in and try measuring the voltage from that terminal to ground when the TTS is closed and you first crank the starter.

20. hnichols

hnichols Karting

Apr 15, 2020
    Chicago IL
    Full Name:
    Hugh Nicholson
    Sorry, I don't completely understand: what is the terminal I am measuring voltage from? I'm not even sure I'll be able to see the black/white wire on the connector -- as you know, everything is buried under the plenum and very hard to see. I fear to really look at the wiring I'll have to remove the plenum and associated hoses. And that might have to wait until I'm checking valves and replacing the belts.

BTW, I'll be away for a couple of days so I'm going to have to pause this thread for a week or so. Once again, I really appreciate the help and expertise!

21. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    The w connector at the fuse-relay panel -- it's the single vertical connector on the RH side of the fuse-relay panel. It's shown, and labeled, in the 488/87 Fig 2 schematic that you posted in post #38. You should be able to touch the meter probe to the back end of the metal terminal holding the BN wire even when the w connector is plugged in.

22. theunissenguido

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
  23. hnichols

hnichols Karting

Apr 15, 2020
    Chicago IL
    Full Name:
    Hugh Nicholson
    Thanks -- it's totally clear now. The bottommost wire in the W connector is indeed the BN Zebra wire. I tested the voltage on cranking and basically got no voltage -- a fraction of a volt, actually, which might just be random fluctuation. So that means no voltage is going to the input terminal of the TTS.

So does this result put the problem in the fusebox? Which wouldn't really surprise me, as I just (coincidentally) lost my lights today ...

24. theunissenguido

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido

You can check where the current is coming from. This is the internal wiring diagram from your fuseboard. Its the backside (mirror view) and split in 2 for more clearness.
    W10 gets current over fuse marked 10 (the 9e fuse from left front side fuseboard. On your board the lower connector of the fuseholder nr 10 (My drawing shows upper connector fuseholder.) Same connection goes to relais i 87b.
    The other fuseholder connector goes over white plug Y number Y9 and get its current from the ignition switch (a white wire).....
    So the culprit can be fusebox or....ignition switch.

25. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    As Guido wrote, the foodchain to the BN zebra wire in the w connector is:

+12V power goes from terminal 50 of the ignition switch during starter motor cranking (if the starter motor cranks, your ignition switch is OK)

to the largish white wire in the horizontal y connector

to the #9 fuse holder (this gets wacky because on the euro version wiring diagram they count the empty first fuse position as #1 so they, and Guido, label this 7.5A fuse #10; whereas, in the OMs, they skip the empty first fuse position and call this 7.5A fuse #9)

thru the 7.5A fuse

from the 7.5A fuse holder to the BN zebra wire.

I'd suggest that you remove the 7.5A fuse #9, and measure the voltage on each of the fuse holder female terminals relative to ground during starter motor cranking -- one of them should be +12V during starter motor cranking (per Guido's layout it would be the lower terminal).

If one is +12V (or really more like 10V) during starter motor cranking, but the BN wire in the w connector isn't (when the 7.5A fuse is in place) = bad sign for the fuse-relay panel itself.

If neither is +12V (or really more like 10V) during starter motor cranking = bad sign for the fuse-relay panel, or the connection of the large white wire in the horizontal y connector is bad (so wouldn't hurt to unplug/inspect/replug that one, too).

If the large white wire in the y connector doesn't go +12V (+10V) during starter motor cranking (but the starter motor works) = bad connection/broken wire in path from ignition switch terminal 50 to the y connector.

Good Hunting! (But at least you've identified a solid reason why the cold start injector doesn't squirt when it should.)