Testarossa w/strips with black felt found | Page 12 | FerrariChat

Testarossa w/strips with black felt found

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Mr.Chairman, Sep 25, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kerrywittig

kerrywittig Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2005
    Ithaca, New York
    Full Name:
    Kerry David Wittig
    #276 kerrywittig, Oct 25, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I see that over 2 years after this thread was born that the debate and/or quest to find the Holy Grail of aftermarket door seals vs. OEM is still being sought.................

I know I may regret this..........................

I have 3 full sets of the sealing material I purchased over a year ago...............If any one is interested I will sell each set for $165 each. No, it is not exact, it does have the fuzzy, it installs very securely without glue and it seals wonderfully. If details are needed concerning it's "worthiness"............reveiw some of the posts on the first 3 or 4 pages of this thread........from almost 2 years ago!

Sealing my fate Me
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. kerrywittig

kerrywittig Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2005
    Ithaca, New York
    Full Name:
    Kerry David Wittig
    Just a note to those that complained that I was "charging to much" for the weather stripping I purchased from a European supplier a year or so ago.................Do realize that the weather stripping comes in 10 meter lengths that are attached together with a wire staple...........therefore there is about 12 meters of "waste".........

For the mathematically challenged...........7.62 meters is equal to 25 feet........just what you need for 2 doors of a TR to be on the safe side (this allows some leeway to get a few chances to get that right angle cut to look right).....

I guess what I am saying is that there is not that much of a profit margin once you figure in the waste, the shipping, the phone calls, the currency exchange fees on the credit card and the import fees....

Woe is Me

3. Philwozza

Philwozza Formula 3

Apr 23, 2009
    Winchester UK
    Full Name:
    Phil Worrall
    #278 Philwozza, Oct 29, 2011
    Made the first joint for the LHS door, going well. I have left the glue to go "off" overnight and I will fit the seal tomorrow. The shiny finish around the joint comes off with a light scrape from a knife. I will post more pics later tomorrow depending on weather :)

The bad news is I made the same joint for the other door and found after spending an hour that I have made the mitre the wrong way :( I made the same joint as the LHS door, DOH!

P

4. Philwozza

Philwozza Formula 3

Apr 23, 2009
    Winchester UK
    Full Name:
    Phil Worrall
    #279 Philwozza, Oct 30, 2011
  5. Philwozza

Philwozza Formula 3

Apr 23, 2009
    Winchester UK
    Full Name:
    Phil Worrall
    #280 Philwozza, Oct 30, 2011
    Here are the tools I used! After many trials I found it easiest to fit the seal to a piece of thin hardboard to hold everything square. I made a 45 degree mark in my bench and clamped the the assembly down. You can see this is the first photo. Line the knife up with the mark and give it a good clout with the knockometer :)
    Once fitted I used a leather punch to make small holes so that air could exit and enter the seal. Shown in the second photo.

P

6. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Looks better than new to me Phil !! :)

7. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    The fitment looks nice Phil. Let us know how the compression of the bulb looks from the inside when you get a chance.
    Thanks.

8. Philwozza

Philwozza Formula 3

Apr 23, 2009
    Winchester UK
    Full Name:
    Phil Worrall
    Will do Spasso. The car is in her carcoon up to next weekend. I will go take a look and get some photos. From what I saw though, it looks a nice snug fit but I am leaving the seal under the pressure of the closed door to see what it looks like after the first week.

P

9. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Great idea. Thanks Phil.

10. testamon

testamon Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2008
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Mike O
    Phil great job and particularly those air holes look fantastic, Looking at the leading edge of the door it looks like the rubber kinks - the rear looks great, is that a function of the radius of the bend? The 'Right angle' looks more like 75deg or 105 deg depending on how you measure. Did you just use the 45 and that works Ok or did you make that angle a bit sharper? Did your original 45's have a little right angle piece glued inside to support the rubber as mine has these and the corner itself is not glued. Originals that I have seen have another join about 150mm back from the door leading edge to make fitment easier - without this it must have taken quite some trial and error to get the length correct! I have just received some trim from Italy that does not have the fuzz but cloth covered will let you know how this goes.

11. kerrywittig

kerrywittig Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2005
    Ithaca, New York
    Full Name:
    Kerry David Wittig
    #286 kerrywittig, Nov 3, 2011
    Hmmmmm...........

This door seal has.....air holes already in place.

This door seal has the "fuzzy".

This door seal does not kink.

This door seal works excellent.

This door seal costs $82.50 usd.

This door seal has been installed for 22 months (Jan. 2009).

Reminding Me

12. Philwozza

Philwozza Formula 3

Apr 23, 2009
    Winchester UK
    Full Name:
    Phil Worrall
    #287 Philwozza, Nov 3, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
    You are right about the kink.
    However, I decided to leave it as is and see what happens after a week of the door being closed on the rubber seal. If the kink still remains AND it leaks then I will try and refit before making my final recommendation. I think that the kink will only be a superficial visual detraction, the seal works as it should, a real door seal.

HTH

P

13. Philwozza

Philwozza Formula 3

Apr 23, 2009
    Winchester UK
    Full Name:
    Phil Worrall
    Well its been a few weeks since I fitted the new door seals and I can confirm that it is still smooth and not compressed at all. Seal fits snug with no gaps at all and if anything due to it having slightly thicker walls keeps its shape better.

HTH

P

14. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Nice job Phil ! :)

15. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Excellent.. If you give the green light and say its good, count me in for a set if you have a group buy in mind.

R

16. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Here here.
    I'll go for a buy as well.

17. Red Head Seeker

Red Head Seeker Formula 3
    BANNED

Apr 27, 2009
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Also count me in Phil..+++++ a "Finder's Premium".....Mark

18. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Most definitely.

19. Philwozza

Philwozza Formula 3

Apr 23, 2009
    Winchester UK
    Full Name:
    Phil Worrall
    Gents, this stuff is as cheap as chips we just need to find the cheapest way of getting it from here to you chaps in the USA. If someone is willing to make the list up I am more than happy to be the go between FOR FREE!
    Just let me know what you want and I will sort it here in the UK.

P

20. kerrywittig

kerrywittig Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2005
    Ithaca, New York
    Full Name:
    Kerry David Wittig
    #295 kerrywittig, Dec 10, 2011
    You shall find that..........

Shipping adds cost.

Import fees/tarrifs add cost.

And if the seal material is not in one continuos length prior to cutting there will be waste (unusable lengths, ie. 12 feet for each door opening).............which if not taken into consideration will make this NO holes, NO fuzz, DOES kink, UNMATCHING weatherstripping NOT cost effective!!

I have been trying to tell "some" of you this for almost TWO YEARS........but to no avail! I found out the hard way when I ordered 100 meters of the "correct" sealing material.......but there seems to be an underlying vendetta from some here on F-Chat to discount the seals I am offering at MY COST!! Ridiculous and silly......I have 3 1/2 sets left at $165 + shipping.......again I repeat....AT MY COST!!

Ranting Me

21. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    They don't charge VAT for X-mas presents do they?.
    Maybe we should do a "gift exchange".

22. Turbopanzer

Turbopanzer F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    If you are serious about the cost of a set, please PM me as to where and when to send the correct amount including the shipping. I certainly could use the correct seals for my TR. Do you also have the trunk seal?

23. kerrywittig

kerrywittig Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2005
    Ithaca, New York
    Full Name:
    Kerry David Wittig

Where were you all 2 years ago? I shall be home from business in early January...........I will contact you then to see if you are indeed still interested!

I may need to reorder!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Surprised Me

24. kerrywittig

kerrywittig Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2005
    Ithaca, New York
    Full Name:
    Kerry David Wittig
    Isn't that sorta like lying........only kinda different?...............Bad Karma!!

Accusing Me

25. kerrywittig

kerrywittig Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2005
    Ithaca, New York
    Full Name:
    Kerry David Wittig
    2 years later and not one return..........just satisfied purchasers and as unbelievable as it might sound, suddenly 5 more requests this month, in just the last week!! Who da thunk......LOL Now I need to order some more for the masses!!

Getting them sealed Me