News

Testarossa timing belts (Major) on a QuickJack ?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by teveo, Feb 20, 2020.

1. teveo

teveo Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2005
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Trond V
    I decided to go with rubber hose, maybe silicon in 2025. :)

2. teveo

teveo Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2005
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Trond V
    I am having problem getting parts and thinking about putting the engine back in, getting 22 mm hose for the crank ventilation next week but no top end parts. The paperwork with the car show that cam timing was done 2012-2013 and have only 500 miles on it after that job. Need to free up my 4 post lift now.

Have two options, put everything back now and enjoy or put a wooden dolly onto the rear frame mounts, move the car out of the lift, do the cam timing during summer and maybe install a new diff as well. That would likely lead to 2020 being lost for the Testarossa. Not a big deal having used it very little in 7 years.

Anyway, belt tension is a little hard to understand. I did "practice" setting the belt tension today, took 4 full rotations on each side and torqued down the tensioner at the end of the rotations, the belt would set at a given tension and not move much and I figured it had "set" itself at correct tension.

The belts frequency are at 105 hz, that is also where I set the Ducati belts (for reference). I use the iPhone with and app and a good mic.

Well, if I decide to put the engine back in should I trust the tension with this method or be even more thorough? I am going clockwise from front of engine btw.

I can get a max of 0.05 mm variation on the full turn now, initially it would move from 0 at both belts up to around 30 so it has been slightly tightened today = belt "setting in"?

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
  4. teveo

teveo Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2005
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Trond V
    :)Thanks

I am “building up” a shopping cart with Fasteners / Parts from that company you sent me a link to, they seem to have hoses as well (newco).

The 38 mm Cooling hose I finally found came from Torino, Had to get a meter and it should last me 25 years :D

5. Tifoso1

Tifoso1 F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Pacific NW
    Full Name:
    Anthony C.
    Can you share which 5000 model Quickjack are you using for this job? Is it the SLX or the extended EXT version? Thank you in advance.

6. teveo

teveo Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2005
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Trond V
    I have the SLX... but I ended up using the 4post lift :eek:
    ;)

7. Tifoso1

Tifoso1 F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Pacific NW
    Full Name:
    Anthony C.
    Thank you, just wanted to make sure that the QJ model I have is suitable for the Testarossa.

8. teveo

teveo Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2005
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Trond V
    SLX is perfect for lifting the Testarossa, getting a solid lift on the frame!