Testarossa purchase | FerrariChat

Testarossa purchase

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by chrisbol4, Feb 17, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. chrisbol4

chrisbol4 Rookie

Feb 12, 2021
    Hornsea
    Full Name:
    Chris Bolton
  2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Looks normal for a 30 yr old car - don't know much about TR but lots of advice in the Testarossa section but whoever is doing your PPI should go/no-go a minor item like that

3. versamil

versamil Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2013
    Gaston, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Brian Healy
    I disagree I have a one year OLDER car, and it doesn't have a bolt on it that rusty. Cars driven in salt, verses cars that haven't. I'd certainly inspect this car carefully. cheaper to buy a better non rusty car, unless you're paying a rusty car price for it. Certainly right behind the wheel the paints going to get chipped and rust can form.Even my 86 car doesn't have the bubbles and brown stains this car has. Open the doors and really examine under them. Rusty bolts like that makes working on the car challenging. If they're rusty on the surface, they're rusty in the threads. Trying to put back on replaceable panels when you start breaking off frozen bolts, turns an easy job into a nightmare. Examining the underside of the doors, a surface body men may not pay much attention to, because it's somewhat invisible, can tell a tale on a car. Look for rust on the lower edge of the doors.

4. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Rust can be an expensive issue to fix. so it can also be a good way to negotiate down the price. if the car is really rusty... someone is goign to have to fix it. .... have you had the car up on a lift? its pretty easy to see what's going on.. some surface rust can be expected - especially in humid climates... but yes, beware - they are hard to put right.

the panel you show - I'm not sure if that is alloy to steel or all steel... but could be electrolytic corrosion.

5. chrisbol4

chrisbol4 Rookie

Feb 12, 2021
    Hornsea
    Full Name:
    Chris Bolton
    Yes - I think you are right - aluminium meeting steel causing electrolytic corrosion - that had the same issue on Range Rovers.
    I have had a chap who knows his Ferraris look at it and he says it is all cosmetic surface corrosion - the bolts have rusted because the cadmium protection has failed.

6. papou

papou Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    plantation Fla
    Full Name:
    daniel ross
    Walk away..

7. 26street

26street Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2021
    Westchester New York
    Full Name:
    Mark k
    I agree with most of the comments about this and will say your friend is right the bolts protective coating may have worn away but that to me is not a answer
    the question is why is the bolt there and bubbles in the paint with stains usually means RUST :(
    Not saying stay a way from this car but it shows that a proper and Thorough PPI be done the cost can save you later and might get you a better price
    That bolt placement would have never may it pass GE back then or now
    ? Is there one on the other side of the car
    When buying any car used with age dings dents and scratches are expected but the body panels fitted with bolts and bubbles should be a sign that there is more going on
    You are spending a lot of money and knowing that there is under lining issues should play apart in what you are welling to invest in
    Body work finish can cover up a lot and a high end body shop would make it like new
    the work I’m seeing there is more like a high volume repair shop
    Having a friend look at something is not the same as paying a reputable shop who’s business relies on truth and possibly getting the work it finds
    A friend has no invested interest in his decisions to the vehicle he should have made more inquiries about the bolt and maybe look deeper at the trim panels, body lines to see if there’s evidence of major work

Do your homework buyer beware

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

8. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I have not owned a TR but have had plenty of 80's Ferrari's and its been my experience that some things get rusty but I Have not seen any serious rust. once you get it and clean it - and respray using Zinc primer and then top with black - and do a good undercoat, rust is not usually an issue. The paint on the older 80's cars can start to crack and check... but I think by the time TR's came around they Zincroxed everything pretty well. Hope you enjoy the car! they are a blast to drive.