Testarossa Price Trends | Page 200 | FerrariChat

Testarossa Price Trends

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Mr.Chairman, Dec 9, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sonfield

sonfield Karting

Jul 17, 2008
    Florence, SC
    What about 55,000 miles how much does it affect value. Shamile’s car was perfect..mileage was 76000...but Looked so much better and was so much better mechanically...than most of the 20000 mile cars...Guess what I’m asking is ..... Can a 55,000 mile testarossa that can hold value Or is it all downhill. I know a lot of factors go into this...Just want opinions on If and when a higher mileage testarossa in good condition a dealbreaker?

2. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

U are aware Shamile’s car broke down after 50 miles right after new owner got it,right?
    To your question unless the TR appreciates as a whole it will go down based on mileage but low mileage that hasn’t been driven isn’t a good thing either... all about proper maintenance and a bit of luck too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PineChris and xplodee like this.
  3. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    This white TR for sale is a euro model.

4. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    shamiles car wasnt perfect. Diff blew up as soon as new owner got it, had modified interior (steering wheel, dash vents, etc).

I think 30k is when current TR owners start considering a tr getting “high” in mileage. I bought mine with 28k miles, oh well now I have 31k. I posted a pic of the odometer turning to celebrate the loss of $5-10k that I just incurred. But guess what? I love my car and wont be selling it. And in ten years or whenever should a sale ever need to happen, I’d be willing to bet my car will sell for exactly what I paid for it.

buy the best car you can find. Things like service records and overall condition will contribute a lot more over time to what you end up spending on your car all in over time versus 5 or 10k miles up or down.

5. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Once these cars enter the collectible arena, questions about mileage will largely disappear and the emphasis will rightly be on condition. That will be a great day for long term owners and smart buyers. I saw this happen before my eyes with Diablos.

6. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Nice to see this thread is still going. 10 years strong.

R

BOKE and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  7. sherrillt

sherrillt Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 1, 2009
    Northern Virginia
    Partially agree - who is scrutinizing miles on a 512bbi?

the issue here though is lack of scarcity NOT collectability. The cars are already in the collectible arena given the enthusiast interest (Who doesn’t like/want a Testarossa). The current valuation issue is a result of too many cars available at the moment, which allows for multiple discriminators (eg miles) and the equally weighing factor of Ferrari buyer aversion to miles. Comparatively 993 turbo buyers don’t have the mileage aversion of Ferrari buyers and that market has plenty of examples with well over 60k mi examples that easily sell for six figures.

8. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    IMO they are not, there always seems to be too much more supply than demand (just like I see printed here)......didn't they make 7,000 Dinos? They don't have these kinds of flat peaks and valleys. Collector cars value curves tend to look like upward sloping sine waves.. Who is going to argue that Testerossa value curve doesn't look like a flat sine wave?

This is no different than the evolution that took Diablos from cool run-down used cars to collectibles. When I was looking a decade or so ago, there was always 40-50 on the market.....now more like 15 or so.

This is a fun discussion, I think Testarossas will get there someday.

turbo-joe and xplodee like this.
  9. V4NG0

V4NG0 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    Charles Edward Cheese
    These cars are getting close to the age where time is as big of a factor as usage (mileage) for the integrity of the car. Also, given that the odometer is easy to roll back (many apparently have had it done), condition should be paramount, especially if one is actually going to drive the car.

10. Parnelli

Parnelli Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Greg P
    single mirror?

11. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    I just saw this video on my YouTube feed
    Wanted to Share with the group

Spider68, TestaDDS, sherrillt and 2 others like this.
  12. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    #4987 Shark01, Jul 1, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
    So I’ve watched both of these videos from the non-owner, not dying to have one POV, and the takeaway I get from these guys is that the car is boring to drive, which is both surprising and interesting.

One of the assumptions they make is that the car was marketed towards 80s posers who couldn’t drive a hard core sports car.....yikes

And how do owners feel about them questioning the use of a mid engine layout, in view of what happened with the 550?

13. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    The Testarossa series will always be the last mid-engine 12 in a car with significant production numbers.

In that generation, all cars are boring to drive unless they were made by nintendo.

14. sherrillt

sherrillt Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 1, 2009
    Northern Virginia
    I think the car has always and even more so today is about looks/aesthetics even though its performance was relevant in its prime. To talk performance on a car over ten years old really isn’t relevant as even super cars are easily matched or out performed by mass produced relatively common performance cars within a decade (e.g. Corvettes). My observation of most buyers/collectors of classic cars (to include myself) - it comes down to nostalgia (teen/early adult unaffordable dream car), historical significance (e.g. nsx/zr1 being a game changer/car magazine cover cars), and aesthetic (design) appeal.

I bought a 328 GTS a few years back To add to the Ferrari collection and it’s performance and engine layout were not relevant to me. It was all about how car the looked standing 20’ away as a rolling art piece and nostalgia/aspirations of living in the 80s, and not what it could do as a back road blaster/track star.

15. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    I didn’t see the video that way
    I think he has valid points, the TR series is not a mid engine canyon carving machine, the mid engine is situated too high (corrected 1 inch lower in the 512tr according to the video I am not sure about the validity of that statement) plus the car is plush to drive.
    I think the TR was targeted to the “older” generation, I am 44 years old and I do enjoy the comfort the TR provides, I think the TR will only need power assisted steering and it will tick all marks of a truly GT car.
    I believe the video used the classic formula invented by British shows (top gear, fifth gear) where they point at the cons of a car to eventually highlight the pros.
    one thing about the video, at the end he drives the BB, TR and 512tr back to back question for 512TR owners:
    The 512tr sounds way better than the TR, I have never driven a 512tr is that the sound of a stock muffler or it has been upgraded???

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  16. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    My take away from the video was that the combo of cool and comfort accomplished with the TR series is pretty significant. You wont see another mid engined 12 like it ever again. If you expect the TR to be a canyon carver, thats totally reasonable, but the car is not that.

17. Natkingcolebasket69

It does pretty good in canyons though, 355 is the car for that;)

18. sherrillt

sherrillt Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 1, 2009
    Northern Virginia
    That’s what they sound like - Its sound appears to be stock

like rifledriver (or someone else) said many years ago (in regards to TR vs 512TR) which holds true - In a quote that went along the line of something like “It’s 50% more money for 100% more car”

19. Natkingcolebasket69

20. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
  21. Natkingcolebasket69

I’d love to see it inside to compare the leather with older ones that have been driven as well as the paint too. Must be something!

ralfabco likes this.
  22. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    Don't forget to condition the five-piece luggage set.

ralfabco likes this.
  23. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    #4998 ralfabco, Jul 16, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2020

Nothing wrong with it, if you understand what you are buying up front.

I had a 1300KM Countach Anniversario queen and it was misery, to watch the clock. 20KM and it is already time to return to the garage.

However, it looked awesome and was just about one of the very top factory pimpin cars L ever built. White with lipstick red interior and white piping :D. I understand the next owner completely ruined the car and destroyed it.

I could not use the luggage set, at the Sheraton.

24. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    why?

25. Natkingcolebasket69

Not to loss value I assume and keep car pristine;)

ralfabco likes this.