Testarossa original stereo | FerrariChat

Testarossa original stereo

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Anthony bentley, Jan 17, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Anthony bentley

Anthony bentley Formula Junior

May 20, 2006
    London
    Full Name:
    Anthony Bentley
    #1 Anthony bentley, Jan 17, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2016
    Looking to return my testarossa to its original soundsystem, lucky I have the original speakers just need to know what the original head unit was for an 86 euro spec car.
    Pics would be great.

2. jjmalez

jjmalez F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2005
    Northern Illinois
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    Ferrari did not offer radio/stereo systems in any Testarossa.

Joe

3. sherrillt

sherrillt Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 1, 2009
    Northern Virginia
    Exactly - actually a common question and most are shocked to hear there was nothing in there when the cars came over.

I was big into car audio back in the 80s and Sony, Alpine, Denon, Blaupunkt, and Kenwood were the dominant head units.

My car actually has a low end Panasonic head unit. I wouldn't bother looking for some old antiquated cassette deck and just get yourself a nice modern unit with Bluetooth functionality.

4. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    You have the advantage that it is hidden. Chose what you prefer and you're in business.

5. N17RO

N17RO Karting

Apr 9, 2013
    UAE
    Full Name:
    Craig
    They didn't offer them as standard but some how there is lots of them with the same Blaupunkt systems.

As others would say pick one that you like and go from there.

I have an original Ferrari Becker system which looks the part and sounds great for its age. Model number BE 4377

6. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    If in fact that is the case why does PN 61643600 "Radio with tape recorder (not for US version) After exhaustion use PN 129044" show in the parts book?

To the OP. I am not an authority on the EU version cars but a radio was available on those cars. I believe it was an option but I have no information what brand was used. In the US the cars came with an empty hole and the dealers installed whatever the buyer wanted.

7. 302Tim

302Tim Formula 3

Jul 2, 2011
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Tim
    #7 302Tim, Jan 18, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Brian's right, a radio and amplifier were installed in Euro cars for some of the production run. After car no. 78692 (LHD) and 78535 (RHD) they stopped installing radio's in the Euro cars (see attached service bulletin). The SB also interestingly says you can install a Blaupunkt amplifier (PN 62515600) which is the same PN listed in the SPC for Euro so apparently those were no longer installed either.

I haven't seen any definitive info on what type radio was installed but I would suspect it was a Blaupunkt unit (model "Tucson" or "Memphis"). Several Euro TR owners manual sets include these user guides with the OMs.

Brian where did you find the PNs you referenced, I've never seen the radio called out in the SPC(s) and those PNs don't come up in the Ricambi database?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. jarifinn

jarifinn Rookie

Jan 25, 2009
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Jari Roikonen
    Mine came with Pioneer casette/radio. -87 testarossa

9. 1986Tr

1986Tr Rookie

Jan 17, 2015
    I worked on a 1985 euro spec car in 1985 and it had the factory radio installed in it.... It was made by Clarion ( I dont have a model #)

Scott lja

10. 302Tim

302Tim Formula 3

Jul 2, 2011
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Disregard, I found the PNs in the 366/85 SPC.

11. Andre_

Andre_ Rookie

May 13, 2014
    Surrey, England.
    Hi, UK dealer fit (Graypaul) Pioneer KEH-8830B & GM-A120 amp. Hope that helps!

12. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    "Ferrari World" magazine, issue #1, 1989 ran a small article under the section "Gadgets" listing a spec radio for the TR:

"When choosing the stereo equipment to be used in the Testarossa, Ferrari selected the Clarion E 970 'synthoreproducer' (not a mere car radio!) not only for its major features but also for some useful additional functions which make it a real dashboard instrument: Digital Voltmeter which displays on the panel the voltage supplied by the battery; Digital Thermometer which gives the temperature outside the car; Ice Indicator which flashes to warn the driver of the pressence of ice on the road. The Clarion E 970 is also designed to make driving safer: the radio can be tuned without taking one's hand from the wheel, via a remote-control pedal."

13. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    #13 Peter, Jan 20, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  14. 302Tim

302Tim Formula 3

Jul 2, 2011
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Interesting find...thanks Peter.

15. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I believe the footwell speakers had the word "Ferrari" on the back of them, I think I still have a pair of them out in the garage.

16. 302Tim

302Tim Formula 3

Jul 2, 2011
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Good memory carguy they do say Ferrari. On the same label it also says "Made in Italy by Autosonik" so they were the OEM. I don't know who made the tweeters but the crossover filters were also an Autosonik product.

17. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    And WHY would you do that my friend ?

The only music comes from the back :D

18. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Todd Laing likes this.
  19. Loudoun_Prime

Loudoun_Prime Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 10, 2020
    Aldie, VA
    Full Name:
    Doug Magee
    I have kind of a similar issue with my 91 TR. It's never had a radio. Now I'm thinking it might be nice to put one in. So I pull the cover and the only wire behind it that I could find was the antenna wire. What do the speaker wires look like? Does anyone have a picture of them? Did they come to location of the radio in a bundle? Was there a plug of some sort on them?

20. oo7ml

oo7ml Karting

Dec 4, 2018
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I am surprised to learn that they did not come with a radio? What was there before it the radio then?

21. Loudoun_Prime

Loudoun_Prime Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 10, 2020
    Aldie, VA
    Full Name:
    Doug Magee
    It was just a plastic blank. If you wanted a radio back in the day, the dealer had to install one for you. It came with speakers and wires, but I can't seem to locate the wires inside the hole.

oo7ml likes this.
  22. fridolin_pt

fridolin_pt Karting

Mar 25, 2008
    Germany NRW
    Full Name:
    Fritz
    In ´91 I had problems to convince the dealer that I wanted a radio. Today I have a motor and don’t need it any more.

23. Testarossabear

Jul 28, 2022
    Orlando, FL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew Girges
    hey was the blaupunkt install successful? Looking to order the same head unit for my testa

MS250 likes this.
  24. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Yes, it’s perfect and you can change the color to match the orange dials. Bluetooth is incredible.

Testarossabear likes this.
  25. ODK

ODK Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2014
    Los Angeles
    I just put the Bremen 46 DAB in my '94 Porsche Turbo 3.6 . It is amazing...works perfectly, sound is good, Bluetooth streaming and calls are great. highly recommend.