Testarossa modify access through firewall? | FerrariChat

Testarossa modify access through firewall?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Bjamms, Feb 8, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bjamms

Bjamms Rookie

Feb 8, 2021
    Full Name:
    Coro Na
    Hi all, I'm looking to buy a Testarossa that will be a lifelong ownership just for me, but of course maintenance costs are a major factor over an intended 30-40 years of owning it with the engine out 6-8 times.

I'm interested in this car as a reasonable driver and not a fully collectible, low mileage, all original car - I'd like to use the thing and minimize maintenance.

I recently came across the fact that a 360 has access to the timing belts available through the firewall, behind the seats. It looks like this was a factory Ferrari design.

Would it not be a great idea to have the engine out on a Testarossa once, and then while out - modify the firewall so that I can easily get to the timing belts like a 360, saving all those future engine drops, time money and any accidents that could happen when doing an engine out?

A modified panel is apparently safe enough to be part of the 360's design by Ferrari, and it would be hidden behind the Testarossa's carpet. It just might make life that much easier.

Are there any potential drawbacks besides the collector's argument about non-originality? i.e. "it wouldn't line up as the 360 does" or other mechanical considerations. Thanks for your insight.

[​IMG]

2. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    Our fuel tanks are in the way.

turbo-joe likes this.
  3. versamil

versamil Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2013
    Gaston, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Brian Healy
    The engine is on it's own frame, it's MADE to be removed for a service. Working from inside the car would be awkward at best. The time "saved" by leaving it in place would be lost in the difficulty of every other step.

4. Bjamms

Bjamms Rookie

Feb 8, 2021
    Full Name:
    Coro Na
    Something like this is just what I was afraid of. I figured I couldn't have been the only one with an original workaround idea haha. Thanks for this.