Testarossa Ignition module vacuum line | FerrariChat

Testarossa Ignition module vacuum line

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by NashGTS, Jul 20, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. NashGTS

NashGTS Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2019
    Nashville TN
    Full Name:
    Bryan phillips
    Hello Testarossa owners,
    I seem to have a feature unique to my car. The vacuum line going to the Magneti Marelli ignition module is coming off the passenger side intake manifold. When I look at all other Testarossa engine photos on BAT, this same port is plugged so the vacuum line must be coming from another location. My car is a '88.5 Canadian model which my understanding equates to being a US car without the motorized seat belts and with a unique front bumper/grill. I struggle to think the ignition setup is different but have no reference point. If anyone can share their pickup point for this vacuum line and or any other insight on the topic I'd be most appreciative. The photo below shows the port I'm referring too which seems to be plugged on most other cars. Thanks in advance.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #2 Steve Magnusson, Jul 20, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2021
    Don't think that you'll have any serious functional problem, but the stock location is the small port 21 at the front of the 7-12 intake plenum (and the hole where your existing port is presently located has threaded plug 28 to block it):

https://www.ferrariparts.co.uk/diagram/ferrari/testarossa-tr-90/016-air-intake-manifolds

Do you have the threaded plug 28 installed where port 21 is usually located (or maybe some more obvious aftermarket bolt or other form of blockage)?

3. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    I would say it makes no difference from where at the plenum the igniton module get the vaccum

4. NashGTS

NashGTS Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2019
    Nashville TN
    Full Name:
    Bryan phillips
    Thanks Steve and Joe,
    I agree, where the vacuum comes from doesn't matter but I'm a stickler for stock set up and believe this car is 100% stock, thus trying to figure out what's going on. In regards, to the other ports: Port 21 is present and the tube goes to a black canister located over the rear wheel well on the drivers side (photo). On the passenger side intake manifold, the front port is used to drive the solenoid for the secondary air injection and the rear ports are split - one going to drive the advance on the ignition (what started this discussion) and the other, along with it's mate on the left intake manifold, going to the other black canisters behind the passenger side wheel well. They are all accounted for, so what's the black canister? I've struggled to find it in the parts manuals but as it has a check valve on it, my guess is this canister holds a vacuum to allow one to operate the climate controls with the car off for a period of time. There is another hose exiting the canister running up front which leads me to believe this is the case. Anyone else have this black canister? Cheers, Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #5 Steve Magnusson, Jul 20, 2021
    Yes, that's the vacuum reservoir for the HVAC button system (so all TR). Using that SPC figure, here's how a US version is plumbed:

Port 22 fitting (front of 1-6 intake plenum) = goes to electrovalve for air injection system and differential pressure switch
    Port 25 fitting (rear of 1-6 intake plenum) = goes to one of the charcoal canisters behind the RR wheel well
    Port 24 fitting (rear of 7-12 intake plenum = goes to the other charcoal canister behind the RR wheel well (note: on a US version port 24 & 25 are the same part with only one nipple)
    Port 23 fitting (rear of 7-12 intake plenum = goes to brake booster
    Port 29 fitting (front of 7-12 intake plenum) = goes to vacuum reservoir for HVAC system behind LR wheel well
    Port 21 fitting (front of 7-12 intake plenum) = goes to Microplex ignition ECU

So what's connected to the Port 29 fitting on your TR?

6. NashGTS

NashGTS Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2019
    Nashville TN
    Full Name:
    Bryan phillips
    Steve, mystery solved! Thanks so much. Port 29 is going to the vacuum reservoir, 21 is blocked vs 28 being blocked. I need to swap 28 and 21. For some reason these manifolds were plumed wrong.

7. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Well, it, hopefully, should be an easy fix. Wonder if someone removed all the fittings to refinish the plenums, and just accidentally got them swapped? -- just a thought...

8. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Were not plumbed wrong. That line is exactly where is should be. I cannot fathom why they did this for certain markets..but there it is. I work on plenty of Canadian spec TR's as I live in Canada, any they are pretty much all plumbed this way.

Qavion and peteficarra like this.
  9. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #9 Steve Magnusson, Jul 20, 2021
    So where does the vacuum line run? All the way forward to the front firewall and then to the LH side and back to the Microplex ECU, or does it go more directly to the LH side across the middle of the engine? (The SPC doesn't show a longer CDN version vacuum hose for the Microplex ECU, but maybe they didn't document that either.)