Testarossa brakes | FerrariChat

Testarossa brakes

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by fridolin_pt, Sep 4, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fridolin_pt

fridolin_pt Karting

Mar 25, 2008
    Germany NRW
    Full Name:
    Fritz
    The original brakes in the Testarossa are quite poor (512+M was better)
    Anybody ever changed them for something better?

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  2. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    With bigger wheels you can put brembo’s on them. Or mod whatever else you want to fit, bigger wheels are important though

3. plip

plip Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Gianni Olivieri
    Natkingcolebasket69 and xplodee like this.
  4. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Do you have a pic of the caliper bracket? Does this setup clear 17” wheels or only 18”? I have an ‘87 with 17” wheels

5. fridolin_pt

fridolin_pt Karting

Mar 25, 2008
    Germany NRW
    Full Name:
    Fritz
    I have a ‘91, so no center lock.
    Changing brakes startet when the 512 TR came up with bigger rims. There were even Ferrari brakes available, I think it was from the 288. I have my car since ‘91 but did not change because I thought I should keep the original rims.
    Today it’s a problem to get the rear tyres. And with the number of cars built it’s far away to be a real classic car investment. I like it and I like to drive it so I think the difference to modern brakes is a risk. Even some classic cars are better. The loss of value for not being original may not be so much.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  6. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    You can always switch back before a sale!

7. plip

plip Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Gianni Olivieri
    exactly and pretty easy. Anyhow here few pics of the rims, brake and caliper.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Have 18 inches but, being three pieces, the rims bolted to the internal 'star' is quite big when compared to a solid casted wheel. Do remember the supplier also had even bigger rotor for sale. That said it could be that they also fit on 17 inches casted.

8. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Wow thats plenty of room! Interesting wheel. Was it modified for single lug? I assume there’s a bracket on back that accepts the splines? Or was the stock wheel hub modified for that wheel?

9. plip

plip Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Gianni Olivieri
    Nope. they uses the original flange and bolt from the original rims

10. plip

plip Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Gianni Olivieri
    Well if you have 5 lugs hub then guess best is to get hold of 18 inches and brake system from a 512 TR.

fridolin_pt and xplodee like this.
  11. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Does anyone know how much clearance there is between the caliper and the wheel on a 512TR? I think I may make a custom brake caliper bracket to adapt those brakes onto my '87. Would be more "oem" than going with a big ass red brembo setup.

12. plip

plip Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Gianni Olivieri
    Is your 87 wih central single nut ? If so the 512TR rotors will not fit.

13. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    It is a single nut (all ‘87s are) but I could find a rotor or even fabricate a rotor carrier that would fit.

Is there a brembo kit for ‘87s? Never thought about that.

14. plip

plip Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Gianni Olivieri
    Nope . Either you do your own rotor carrier or have to go for the Tarox kit (which is made on order). By memory back in the early 90's AP Racing also had a kit but never so one for sale anywhere.

Natkingcolebasket69 and xplodee like this.
  15. fridolin_pt

fridolin_pt Karting

Mar 25, 2008
    Germany NRW
    Full Name:
    Fritz
    Thank you. Seams to be a good solution. Can you give me the technical data of the 512 rims.

16. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
  17. plip

plip Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Gianni Olivieri
    Good. But double check. The disks in the auction pics do not fit monodado but it might be the wrong pic.

18. plip

plip Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Gianni Olivieri
    Hi am sorry but cannot. Do not have a 512TR to take measurements from. Sorry.

19. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

They are pretty bad but they were good in 84-85;)
    The 512’s are much improved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. Grease Donkey

Grease Donkey Karting

Jul 5, 2018
    Zurich, Switzerland
    I noticed a significant break paddle feel improvement after multiple WD40 application on all elements of the axis that holds the paddle. :)

The old grease has gone dry and just doesn't do it's job anymore. Same problem for the locks of the hood BTW.

I'd recommend this as a first step to anyone experiencing lack of break response.

The idea is courtesy of a Ferrari technician who was interviewed a couple of years ago by a German classic car magazine for a Testarossa buyers guide. He recommended unmounting and re-greasing. Can't remember which magazine or who was the technician. Believe he was from Kassel.

PS: Lying on my back in the footwell doesn't have the same effect on me as yoga has on my wife though.... :(

21. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    :)
    then let your wife lay on her back in your cars footwell - and post a picture here :)