Testarossa battery light on with engine running | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Testarossa battery light on with engine running

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by dradambbb, Jul 11, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dradambbb

dradambbb Karting

Apr 24, 2016
    London
    Full Name:
    Adam
    #26 dradambbb, Sep 8, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Wanted to share that I finally finished the job and that a replacement alternator fixed the problem. I sent the original to be refurbished; however, I was a offered a replacement unit instead. Cost to me all in £200. Quite a bargain. The replacement is identical except that the tensioner hole is threaded M10. One picture below shows the original. I couldn't find a suitable threaded eye bolt so bought the items shown in the picture instead. If anybody knows where I can get an M10 eye bolt with an M8 eye, please let me know.

Thank you to all for your invaluable advice. I couldn't have done the job without info in this forum.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    such an eyebolt youcouldmake by yourself I think. not a big deal if you can weld soemthing together
    how many AMPS the new alternator will bring max?

3. frached

frached Rookie

May 20, 2017
    Tampa
    Full Name:
    Fares Rached
    I have a similar problem with the battery light. My car sits for a while with teh battery disconnected, maybe run 2-3 times a year and stored indoors climate controlled. Yesterday, prior to starting the car and with the battery disconnected, the battery was at about 12.3v. Upon hooking up the battery the car starts fine but the battery light is on. I let the car idle for about 3 minutes with no increase in voltage with the battery hooked up. The light never went out. Once I revved the car very slightly the light went out and the voltage came up to 13.9. Does this sound like a regulator a brush in the alternator that is sticking? Once the light went out the car continued to charge in the high 13s even with the headlights on, no change. Ran the car for about 30 minutes and light did not come back on. Just wondering if I have a potential problem here...

4. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
  5. dradambbb

dradambbb Karting

Apr 24, 2016
    London
    Full Name:
    Adam
    The garage where the car is serviced did something both clever and simple to make the new alternator fit the same as the original: they just drilled the whole a little wider to take the standard original bolt. Doh, why didn't I think of that?! The work was done during the major service last year.

6. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Sometimes you need to rev the engine to give enough voltage to excite the alt. diodes.