Test Drive: Ferrari Legends PS3/XBOX 360 | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Test Drive: Ferrari Legends PS3/XBOX 360

Discussion in 'Technology' started by WJHMH, Sep 4, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Str8shooter

Str8shooter Formula 3

Jan 31, 2011
    Orlando
    #101 Str8shooter, Aug 24, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    After the F50 GT events they put me in a 575M. Such a different feel. Funny how quick you get to third without going anywhere.
    The events were not that challenging but lots of fun to work your way through the pack.

After completing those events my next car was the Enzo at Fiorano, a track that was new to me. The sensation of driving the Enzo after driving the 575M
    is what makes this game for me. I could feel the power of the Enzo as I worked my way through the gears and its the stuff that makes you smile.
    They do this several times in the game. Put you in one car and then switch to another that makes you go wow!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Str8shooter

Str8shooter Formula 3

Jan 31, 2011
    Orlando
    #102 Str8shooter, Aug 30, 2012
    After finishing the Enzo events I got put in a Challenge Stradale. Another car that didn't handle like anything else in the game which helps to give it's uniqueness. Tightly wound and very responsive it was easy to drive and so were the events. No real challenge so I'd let the pack pass me and then work my way back to the front. It is really fun close racing like that in a big pack especially when the AI seemed to be on their best behavior :)

After the Stradale events it was on to the Ring in a 430. One of my favorite things to do in Forza 4 is drive the Zonda R around the Ring. When I get it right its breathtaking. This game has a slightly different Ring than I'm used to. Its narrower and covered in shadows from the trees which makes visibility difficult. They start me out by doing a sector, then another and then another before turning me lose on the whole thing in a 430 Spider. It only took a few tries before I beat the times required and beat the time needed for the Nordschleife on my first try. The 430 Spider was fun to drive once I learned the circuit. Now I'm in a 599 GTB for the last event of the Nordschleife but this time it is a race against 9 other 599 GTBs and it is three laps. With this event lasting at least 25 minutes I ran out of play time and will have to give it another try tonight. Once I finish that I move on to the " FXX Invitational " and I can't wait to see what if feels like to switch from a 599 GTB to an FXX :D

3. Str8shooter

Str8shooter Formula 3

Jan 31, 2011
    Orlando
    #103 Str8shooter, Aug 31, 2012
    The Nordschleife event which consists of 3 laps around the Ring in a 599 GTB against nine others is far more difficult than the Road America event. Not only is the racing extremely tight, the tire wear really comes into play by the third lap and the slightest mistake will send you spinning. No easy feat on a circuit with so many turns. Add in no rewind and very difficult AI and you have an event that separates the men from the boys :)

It took me two nights of trying before I finally finished the race in third which was enough to advance. No reason to push it any more with so much to risk. Several times I battled for the lead only to get taken out with half a lap to go and had to start all over again. The tire wear makes it hard to complete three laps but its the AI that will send you over the edge. They are relentless and there is no way you can drive away from them. It takes all you've got to catch the leaders while holding off those you've passed. It is extremely challenging and fun. There is no way I'm going to let this game beat me.

Now I'm starting the FXX Invitational. I get eight events on tracks like Hockenheimring GP, Monz GP, Silverstone GP and Spa GP. I've done the first time trial at Fiorano and the FXX is my favorite car so far. I turned the surround sound up as far as I dared and it was glorious. Way better than the FXX in Forza. The way it sounds when you let off the gas is like no other. It drives incredible as well. They even have it so you can actually feel the car as it shifts gears. That and the throttle response makes you feel like you are driving something really special as it should. It helps to have a steering wheel setup as I don't believe you would get the same immersion with a hand controller. The next few nights are going to be pure joy as I take the FXX around some of the world's greatest tracks. That may be good enough for me unless they find a way to top it with the modern F1 cars coming up :D

4. 1Superleggera

1Superleggera Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2011
    North East
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I am racing the F40 right now and 2 races in a row I am in first place and on the last lap the car has "critical engine failure"? I am not over revving the engine or wrecking the car? Any ideas what I am doing to cause this?

5. Str8shooter

Str8shooter Formula 3

Jan 31, 2011
    Orlando
    I've only had one " critical engine failure ". I don't remember the car or event but it was well before the F40 events. I did a restart and finished the event. I don't think you can damage the engine by the way you drive. If that was the case I would've blown a lot more than one. :)

6. Str8shooter

Str8shooter Formula 3

Jan 31, 2011
    Orlando
    #106 Str8shooter, Sep 10, 2012
    I've finished the FXX events. Super fun car to drive :D

While the FXX events weren't hard to complete, the AI was a bit of a pain and I had to be careful not to put myself in a vulnerable position. There didn't seem to be as much tire wear as some of the other cars so I could drive it hard in the last laps. This will probably be one of my favorite cars in the game as it drives and sounds like no other and you really feel the sensation of driving it.

Moving on to the next set of events I was put in a F430 Challenge car. Again, moving from the FXX to this car really puts you in your place and you immediately feel the distinction between the two. I tend to overdrive in the beginning so I had to quickly adjust my driving the F430 Challenge as it didn't handle anything like the FXX. The events were easy to complete but a lot of fun as you work your way through the field making clean passes on your way to the front. Once those events were completed I moved on to the next car and all I can say is WOW!

Now I'm in a modern F1 car and they put me on Fiorano for my first laps. This car is simply incredible to drive. The sense of speed is unreal as I fly through the gears on my way to 7th. Driving in the cockpit view the detail is nice and so is the view. I watch my front tires as they react to my steering as I struggle through the turns even though the grip is by far the best yet. Moving on to the next events I find myself driving a circuit in Monaco and the sound through the streets is what makes this game for me.

7. 4REphotographer

4REphotographer F1 Veteran

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I gave up on the pc version and picked up the game up for 360 today, I'll start playing tonight.

8. Str8shooter

Str8shooter Formula 3

Jan 31, 2011
    Orlando
    #108 Str8shooter, Sep 17, 2012
    The modern F1 cars are really fun to drive and the events went by pretty quick. I was then placed is a F430 Scuderia for several events. Switching from the F1 to the Scuderia takes some adjustment but once you get used to the handling difference the events are fun but not much of a challenge. I then moved on to another series of events which included a few different cars.

One event was besting a time for one lap around the Nordschleife in a 2009 California. The car drove fine and tire wear wasn't much of a factor. I had no problem beating the time on my first attempt even after spinning out near the end. My favorite event will be driving the Ferrari 150° Italia in a race with other cars around Spa. Grip wasn't a problem as I flew around the track. Driving from the cockpit view the sense of speed is awesome and nothing like in any other car in the game.

Moving on to the final series of events I'm put in a 458 Italia and it was a huge letdown after just driving the Ferrari 150° Italia. It felt super slow and right off the line it felt like you were driving on ice. I had my hands full for a five lap race and it took several tries before I finally finished the 458 Italia events which is also the end of the campaign.

I finished in just under 26 hours of actual gameplay and it was just the diversion I needed to get me to Forza Horizon and Black Ops 2. The game is very linear and you have to unlock everything. After finishing all the events I assumed all the cars would be unlocked for free driving but some of them are still locked. I guess I needed to complete the bonus objective in the events to get the reward car instead of just completing the event to unlock the next event. I'll have to go back and work on unlocking the rest of the cars.

The other night I tried the F1 2012 Demo and it quickly made me realize just how bare bones the Ferrari legends game is. I don't have a problem with the FL driving physics and found it to be both fun and challenging. Where the game falls behind is in the graphics and lack of cut scenes like those in the F1 2012 demo which would've been more enjoyable than just reading a block of text. The track and Ferrari selection is what made the game for me. I really liked the concept. It would be fantastic if they could bring it up to Forza standards but I'm guessing it is a low budget production so I won't hold it against them.

Perhaps this game isn't worth full price but when it drops to under $30 I'd recommend it to any Ferrari fan or for those that like a challenging driving game. Those looking for a state of the art, glossy production with all the bells and whistles will be severely disappointed.

After finishing the campaign there isn't much else to do but set up races which you do with your unlocked cars and tracks. I think I'll try a 10 lapper around spa in a 250 GTO racing 15 other cars in the same class :)

9. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    Unfortunately, I got stuck at the 333sp race at Road America and can't get out. I get to the last lap and the tires are just shot. No Enzo, modern F1 or 458 for me. Realistically, though, those are the cars I can get in other games at least.

I've had great fun with this title up to the Road America race...

10. Str8shooter

Str8shooter Formula 3

Jan 31, 2011
    Orlando
    I wondered what happened to you and was hoping the Road America race hadn't stopped you in your tracks. That event was particularly brutal because of the tire wear and the length of the laps. You have to put a lot of time and effort getting in four laps only to lose it on the last lap and have to start all over again. The developers certainly went overboard with that event and the fact that you can't progress any further until that event is completed is a glaring flaw in this game. It is the hardest event in the game.

There is still a whole lot of fun left in the events after the Road America one especially in the FXX and modern F1 cars. I completely understand your frustration but I hope you can pick it up at some time and find a way to beat the event.

It took me several tries to do it but it can be done. Here is what worked for me. Try and get to the front as fast as you can. Turn five was the passing point for me as I out braked them and gained positions each lap. By lap three I was in a podium position and just had to hold off the cars behind me to advance. If you get the lead you can lose two spots and still advance.

After that it comes down to handling the tire wear while holding your position. At this point you are really driving on the edge and the slightest mistake will send you sliding offline. It is possible for the AI to make a mistake and actually give you some breathing room. My biggest problem was getting wrecked by the cars behind me. The time I beat it everything went my way and I didn't get wrecked.

I'm bummed you won't finish. Like me you appreciate the game for what it is and found a way to have fun with it.

11. stokpro

stokpro F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jun 25, 2003
    Himalayas
    Just read about this game today. Can't wait to try it.

12. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    I ordered the PC version but the shop says it's now not available anymore (release was due end of this year). Anyone know what happened? I already bought a steering wheel! :(

13. copterjon

copterjon Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2005
    Mesa, Az.
    I just got this for my grandson and want to know how to unlock cars and events without doing the whole game. He is 5 and just wants to drive different models. I'm not a gamer and don't know much about this stuff. Are there any Ferrari Games or games with Ferrari's that can be driven without all the B.S.?

14. Str8shooter

Str8shooter Formula 3

Jan 31, 2011
    Orlando
    Unfortunately in this Ferrari legends game you have to win races to unlock cars and tracks. There are three different sections of the game, Golden Era, Silver Era and the Modern Era and you can start any one but have to win to unlock the next batch of races in that section. It really is a negative because if you can't complete the race you have no way around it to advance.

Most driving games make it so you are rewarded by winning whether it is by unlocking cars and tracks or giving you in game credits which you can use to buy cars to drive in the game. It is done to give racing a purpose and make it rewarding.

There is a newly released game called Forza Horizon that is only for the XBOX 360 and would be much better for a 5 year old. It is set on the streets of Colorado and you can just drive around or enter races. Smashing into signs, cars and guardrails is fine and makes it easy for kids with less control. They have several Ferraris in the game ranging from the 250 GTO to 458 and FXX. Probably 14 or so choices at the moment and they have some 130 other cool cars as well.

Like the other games you start with one car they give you and you enter street races to win Credits ( Cr ) to buy cars you want. They also give out some really nice cars for prizes in some races.

In your case where your Grandson isn't likely to win enough to get the cars he wants, Microsoft has made it possible where you can pay real money for Microsoft points. A 1600 Points card cost $19.95 You then add those points to your xbox account. In the Forza Horizon game when you select a car to buy they give you the option of buying it with CR credits you've got by winning races or you can buy the car with " Tokens " that you can get using your Microsoft Points that you paid real money for.

So the Forza Horizon game allows you to have any car in the game without having to win races or unlock anything. You do however have to pay extra money for that option. You should also know that the price of the Ferraris in the game sort of reflect their real world value so they are priced differently. The 250 GTO is the most expensive car in the game and if you choose to buy it with " Tokens " it will cost you about $6 to drive right away. The cheapest cars will cost about $2

While it stinks that you have to pay additional money for cars in the game they at least have this option so you don't have to grind through the game unlocking stuff. It is one of the very few that does.

If you have the XBOX 360 I think Forza Horizon would be perfect for a five year old. He should still be able to do a few of the races on the easy settings to get some credits on his own to buy some of the cheaper cars and then you could treat him to his favorite cars by buying the Tokens and he could drive his favorites without having to complete anything in the game.

There is a nice thread here about Forza Horizon if you want to glance through it. While the Ferrari legends game has some really nice cars in it there is no way a five year old is going to get very far in it.

15. copterjon

copterjon Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2005
    Mesa, Az.
    Thanks for the reply. I figured I was in a little deep with this one but it's OK since I'm basically going through the eras and unlocking for him. We got him the Thrustmaster Ferrari GT Experience wheel so it's making it a bit more fun for me. Strangely enough he's actually better at the standard PS3 pad. I can't drive, shift and steer with my fingers but he sure as heck can. Definitely a child of the computer game era.

16. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    So I finally got this game (xbox) and am enjoying it. But I already got stuck at the 250 TR race at Misty Loch :(

You start from the pit lane in 8th and last position and have to finish 4th or higher. I catch the cars pretty quickly getting up to 5th but the 4th placed guy is way too far in front (something like 24 seconds). What's the trick for this race?

By the way what I don't like about the game is the steering feel. It's very dead around center and feels more like a boat floating across the circuit than a real car. I use a Thrustmaster 458 Italia wheel.

17. Str8shooter

Str8shooter Formula 3

Jan 31, 2011
    Orlando
    I don't recall getting stuck in that race. The Road America and one of the Ring races are the ones that were really tough for me.

I'd say that if the 4th place car is getting too far ahead, you are taking too long to pass the others first. I know that sounds obvious but you really need to get all you can right at the start as much as possible before 4th place gets away. Races like that I just kept chipping away getting faster every race until I could beat them.

I have the Microsoft Wheel and while it wasn't great on this game it was still fun. I just got used to the way it controlled and then took it from there.

18. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    I've got unstuck again! :) Key is to drive a controlled race, saving tires. In the first few laps this seems counterproductive, because the other competitors are getting away. But towards the final laps I managed to reel them in and beat them all! :)

I'm still getting used to the driving aids. It seems they are intelligent, meaning that the game detects how much you use the controls yourself . Still, sometimes the driving aids intervene too much to my liking, especially traction control (bogging down the car).

But, it's still a great game for the die-hard Ferrari fan, with all those magnificent Ferraris and the sights and sounds.